• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A Tin of Treasures

I don’t have a Tin but I have a little display of some things on my dresser .

Attachments

• BCB9123C-2E1B-4947-BC57-DEEA22A4A4AB.jpeg
    BCB9123C-2E1B-4947-BC57-DEEA22A4A4AB.jpeg
    541.3 KB · Views: 44
One thing I have that's special to me is a box with my great-grandfathers pocket watch, my great-grandmothers bible, my dads wedding ring, wrist watch, his military papers and passport, a necklace and some other stuff like that. It's not my stuff, it's theirs but it's family stuff. That's a little important to me.

Last edited:
Ok
One thing I have that's special to me is a box with my great grandfathers pocket watch, my great grandmothers bible, my dads wedding ring, his military papers and passport, a necklace and some other stuff like that. It's not my stuff, it's theirs but it's family stuff. That's a little important to me.
I understand that . Some of things on the picture I posted are my grandparents

I still have my cat's first collar. My living room is kinda a "tin" of sorts. I still have my first computer in there and the guitar my dad bought for me when I was 14! I really do hoard things. I have a watch my dad bought for me when I was 16, just put a new battery in it.

I struggle to throw some things away. If it means something to me. I still have the computer magazines I got when I was a kid.

It's kinda a bit silly for me these days to get rid of things as I will only buy a duplicate when I miss the original too much!

I always wanted this Troll doll when I was younger. It was a Sherlock Holmes style one, but I didn't get it. My girlfriend found one on eBay so now he's finally mine! :)

When I was a kid I had planned to take him on all sorts of adventures. Sadly I don't think society at large would quite understand a grown adult taking their Troll shopping or to have a cup of tea and a ride on a Ferris wheel! :smilecat:

As promised, my cabinet of curiosities.
First a selection of trilobites.
20221203_203642.jpg

Then, some quillwork and native boxes, one of them cedar root (the whale). Dyed porcupine quills predate the use of beads. The Kachina is The Talking God.
20221203_203730.jpg

Then, there are my Zuni Fetishes, frogs, turtles, snakes, and some ceramics.
20221203_203745.jpg

Finally, odds and ends, Parflesh containers, decorated gourd, and an unusual pine tarred Navajo Yei pot and Oaxacan low-fired black pot.
20221203_203757.jpg

Last edited:
As promised, my cabinet of curiosities.
First a selection of trilobites.
View attachment 90420

Then, some quillwork and native boxes, one of them cedar root (the whale). Dyed porcupine quills predate the use of beads. The Kachina is The Talking God.
View attachment 90421

Then, there are my Zuni Fetishes, frogs, turtles, snakes, and some ceramics.
View attachment 90422

Finally, odds and ends, Parflesh containers, decorated gourd, and an unusual pine tarred Navajo Yei pot and Oaxacan low-fired black pot.
View attachment 90424
Oooo! Pretty! So nicely arranged! :) It looks like the display you would see in an exclusive antique store! :)

I wish I had experienced this thread years and years ago. I had no idea that my collections of mementos was and okay thing to do. I was embarrassed about keeping old stuff around. I'd tell myself, why are you keeping all this stuff? It has no use.

I still have lots of stuff. But I regret tossing the little things. I regret always thinking there was something wrong with me.

I regret always thinking there was something wrong with me.
I am sorry to hear that. With me, thinking something was wrong, eventually led to PTSD, with regrets turning into resentment and bitterness. I am dealing with it now. You do not want to go down that rabbithole. Wishing you the best.

I have the music box my Grandma painted for me, my hat basket, and a chest that once belonged to my other Grandma (deceased).

But for the most part, my mementos are scattered across my bookcases.

But I regret tossing the little things. I regret always thinking there was something wrong with me.
I understand this. I think I have felt that way too, so I kept my treasures hidden in tins and other secret places. I felt like my treasures were my friends, in a way. The things that kept me company. I protected them by keeping them secret.

It’s sad to know that there were others out there just like you, collecting lovely things, but being viewed as weird for it by those around us. But now, we have found each other.

But for the most part, my mementos are scattered across my bookcases.
It is nice to have the visible memory right there to see. From what I’ve gathered so far many of our things are so lovely and intriguing and nice to look at.

Here’s a growing memento, full of tiny things.

1670209740024.jpeg

My musical treasure box is the Victrola talking machine that I've had ever since I was a teenager. It was built in 1914, spent 50 years rotting in a barn, & I ended up scavenging it before the antique dealer in town cut it up and made it into a file cabinet. Had to pull off "the great Victrola robbery" to get it home (involving my father's old truck which I barely knew how to drive--I figured out how to start the truck & got the thing moved.) But Dad's main question was "so does it still work?" (It did not.)

It's the tall one in the back of this picture; the bottom of it is storage space to put records in so I ended up packing it with about fifty pounds of 78rpm records.

It still runs very well, of course. I restored it & these things, on a durability scale of zero to Baldwin steam locomotive, will score pretty highly. There is not a whole lot to go wrong in them mechanically, and though at times it has sat silent for months (yay college) I can still go fire it up. Now that I am home the Victrola sees a bit more mileage and could probably stand a second overhaul. It's still loaded with all the records I had in high school, as well as a ton of other records in wooden boxes next to it, and some more in storage. I'm not running out of music, that's for sure.

The first record I played on it was "The Rifle Regiment March," by John Philip Sousa--it sounded horrible. Once it was restored I put on a 1921 Stokowski record of The Ride of the Valkyries which was actually quite impressive, but I've since become more of a Liszt & Chopin kind of guy. Wagner's musical embodiment of romantic-era Sturm und Drang isn't my cup of tea constantly though I rather enjoy the 1924 recording at the Royal Albert Hall of the Entry of the Gods into Valhalla. Forgot who conducted that one though. I'm not a good music expert.

This picture is when I found it in the antique store. They couldn't sell it, because it was in pretty rough condition & didn't work, & were about to chop it up.

DSCN5159 (1).JPG

And here it is surrounded by little talking-machines & some Edison phonographs, after a full restoration. Would you believe that I got all these machines to play records again? Ended up making a game of it.

DSCF5089.JPG

My musical treasure box is...
Reminded me of my great grandmother's gramaphone, HMV, that lived in a shack on the Murray River when I was a kid.

They weren't a wealthy family and couldn't afford a proper stylus so it ran on sewing machine needles. They worked perfectly but you had to keep the balance very fine or you'd start carving the records up.

It got destroyed in the 1974 floods.

I will need to pull it out. A cardboard box filled with memoribilia. It should have things like an inflatable Stegasaur that I mounted on my canoe when paddling the Green River, various maps and notes.

I do have my cabinet of curiosities, trilobites, zuni fetishes, porcupine quillwork, Native Americans pottery and baskets. Will post later (Going to see Mozart's Magic Flute.
Cabinet of Curiosities! I'd never heard of that term until I came across and read Preston and Child's fiction book series a year ago. Your description of the one you have sounds wonderful!

I think the Tin itself is an amazing treasure . I remember Rusted Root ! That band is great I wonder if they are still around, well seeing that ticket will just “ Send Me On My Way” to research it

I don't know how I missed that. I think I've seen them live more than any other band. I never thought anybody here would be fans!

Cabinet of Curiosities! I'd never heard of that term until I came across and read Preston and Child's fiction book series a year ago. Your description of the one you have sounds wonderful!
I had learned that term Cabinet of Curiosities at the British Museum when I took a tour by that name. It was about the history of that museum and many museums in general that started out with private collectors and their cabinets of curiosities.

I thought to appropriate the term for the odds and ends that interest me.

New Threads

Top Bottom