• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A list of suitable and unsuitable jobs

sorry i know its not a recent thread but i noticed the original draft of the jobs and it says this:
Jobs for Nonverbal Individuals with Aspergers—
aspies can not be non verbal,being verbal is part of the diagnosis, a lot of aspies might go mute when stressed or prefer to use AAC as they struggle with expression but aspies can technically speak well enough to be under the label of high functioning,its different to when you have grown up non verbal and classic autistic,its a very different life and also a different presentation of autism,along with very different expectancies from professionals and family.

Krogers fired me just after 2 hours and wouldnt give me a reason, wouldn't even tell me I was fired, I just kept going back to check the schedule before finally a manager told me I didn't work there and couldn't be back there... plus if they're d*cks to you, you may end up oweing money to the union... they told me if I didn't get enough to pay my dues I was going to have to cone up with it otherwise, naturallyrics my one two hour check and the 5 hours of watching videos before I took and didn't pay they're stupid dues... :/

I still shop there though, they do have better produce than the other grocery conglomerates

Wow...Just...Wow...

Did you ever contact corporate? It seems to me that that would have been store level, given what I've seen. Either way, I'm sorry you had to deal with that. :(

Wow...Just...Wow...

Did you ever contact corporate? It seems to me that that would have been store level, given what I've seen. Either way, I'm sorry you had to deal with that. :(
No I didn't do anything but be sad, I was only 19... :/

Repairing phones is a different matter. It can be a good job for aspies. I agree with the computer repairer being on the good job list. I've been in a job repairing PCs and it is quite similar to repairing phones. I sat out back and spent my time doing what I enjoy. Tinkering with computers (or phones), figuring out what is wrong with it, not having to really speak to anyone for most of the day. It is also possible to do this from home. Then speak to even less people.

But i agree with sales/ telemarketing. I dread the time when I need to phone someone. It never goes well, I forget what I'm meant to say and don't get my point across at all well. And it's very stressful.

I agree 100% almost all repair type jobs of electronics or machinery, as to phones I have problems because I use proper words, I don't understand slang terms or slogans that people use such as "Fair to Midland" Istill have no idea what that means.

I agree 100% almost all repair type jobs of electronics or machinery, as to phones I have problems because I use proper words, I don't understand slang terms or slogans that people use such as "Fair to Midland" Istill have no idea what that means.
I googled that and it says it's a rock band...

And this "Fair to middlin' is just a colloquial version written in the way that the expression is often spoken, in mid-west America at least, which, as we will see, is where the expression originated. Fair to midland is an odder fish and comes from the mispronunciation of 'middling' as 'midland'." Which I don't understand what it's trying to say either

Then it said
Meaning
Slightly above average

Very confusing expression...

I googled that and it says it's a rock band...

And this "Fair to middlin' is just a colloquial version written in the way that the expression is often spoken, in mid-west America at least, which, as we will see, is where the expression originated. Fair to midland is an odder fish and comes from the mispronunciation of 'middling' as 'midland'." Which I don't understand what it's trying to say either

Then it said
Meaning
Slightly above average

Very confusing expression...

The scots are claiming the word and phrase ....https://www.quora.com/What-does-the-expression-fair-to-middling-mean-and-where-does-it-come-from

Seems likely from measuring wheat in the 15th century and american immigrants used to describe it when discussing cotton hundreds of years later.

'Middling' is an old Scots word and has been in use since at least the 15th century with the same meaning as now, that is, 'of medium or moderate size, strength, quality'. Around 1450, the Marquis of Bute wrote the Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue, which includes what appears to be the earliest example of 'middling' in print:

'The ynch sulde be with the thoum off midling mane nother our mikil nor our litil bot be tuyx the twa'.

I interpret that Old Scots text as meaning 'The inch should be measured with the thumb near the middle, neither at the largest point nor the smallest but between the two' but, if there are any old Scots out there who know better, I would be happy to be enlightened.

The scots are claiming the word and phrase ....https://www.quora.com/What-does-the-expression-fair-to-middling-mean-and-where-does-it-come-from

Seems likely from measuring wheat in the 15th century and american immigrants used to describe it when discussing cotton hundreds of years later.

'Middling' is an old Scots word and has been in use since at least the 15th century with the same meaning as now, that is, 'of medium or moderate size, strength, quality'. Around 1450, the Marquis of Bute wrote the Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue, which includes what appears to be the earliest example of 'middling' in print:

'The ynch sulde be with the thoum off midling mane nother our mikil nor our litil bot be tuyx the twa'.

I interpret that Old Scots text as meaning 'The inch should be measured with the thumb near the middle, neither at the largest point nor the smallest but between the two' but, if there are any old Scots out there who know better, I would be happy to be enlightened.
So it's from when people used to make measurements based on body parts?

As far as what type of thinker as listed IDK, I guess I am not visual thinker I would say I am a mathematical thinker, Not saying I am great at math but that I think in that type of structure

I will say this about phone sales, It can be very formatted, I learned a structure when in my first phone sales job also objections can be prescripted too.

Today I have my own buis and provide a great service, I don't cold call ever, and make decent money, better than anything else I've done.

However I will not say its easy, there are days I still fight anxiety and executive function issues. I could things that are a lot easier but then I would not be able to afford the things I do now

It's not for everyone but it can be done and can be good, I don't do face to face though, I have done it a couple times and have been successful but the anxiety is much higher for me

I've also driven taxi at one time and that was good too, It helped with conversation skills

A lot of what I have done, Has not been easy to start but important things learned for life

I will say not everyone is the same but sometimes coming out of the comfort zone is the best thing for the future

If you can type fast and accurately, try going for a data entry position.

Then again, in 2008 I went for an "interview" for a data entry position to an Agency in Town, I did an online speed typing test for them and they wanted a minimum 60 words per minute and my speed came out 59.5 wpm, and I did the best I could, I could type that half a word faster, but I'd do typos.

New Threads

Top Bottom