• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A History of music genres

GoofKing

All your bases are belong to us
I wanted to do a fun timeline of the different music genres and how they changed and evolved into the evil and colorless mainstream pop, dominated by talent less hacks :p

You can contribute to the timeline if you want as I'm going to cover mainly the 70's - today
The main music time line:
1970's - 1977
Classic rock period *You can count the 60's too for some people*
1977* Disco is born and pop music as we know is created by this
1977 - 1980's The music industry is at it's most creative and open, meaning that anyone with and instrument or computer can write and produce a song. Also is the period when MTV is created and the music video starts reining supreme. This was a truly artistic period
1979 - 1987 (In my opinion is the 80's pop period, but *83 - 94* is when the 80's truly ended and when we started the 90's everyone seems to remember.)
Also, the early 80's was when disco dies and becomes mainly pop music and electronic music appears on the scene.
1986 - Rock becomes split and new genre's like Grunge rock appears on the scene (or 87)
87 -90's - Gangsta rap appears on the scene, also some surviving artists of the 80's would remain on the scene for many years to come, but eventually over-stay their welcome. The 80's was filled with a lot of one-wonders due to experimentation in music and bad luck :(
EARLY 90's - Some early techno music appears but are mainly about dancing and sex. By 1994, Techno would be about feeling good about who you are and relationships. Sex dominates the rap and hip-hop scene in the early 90's and the start of Vanilla Ice, who would be famous for 15 minutes and then forgotten.

93 - 95 R.I.P 80's !!!! The early 90's till 93 or 95 is trying to define itself until we get the music from 94 - 2006
Mainstream music becomes self-aware during this period and makes a decision in two seconds to get rid of the threat of the late 80's and early 90's sound!

94 R.I.P Kurt Cobain and Nirvana (87 - 94)

95 - (?) This is probably the time period people are talking about when they say they love music from the 90's and a majority of the culture.
96 - Pop and Alternative music is here to stay! Will Smith comes on the scene. Techno also becomes a thing.
Also this is the start of the boy band genre.
99 - Eiffel 65 releases their #1 hit that you will have stuck in your head for the next 150 years even in your grave! Euro-pop arrives on the scene as well.

Early 2000's-
*This is when I really started listening to music*

POP MUSIC! - Music doesn't change that much until the mid 2000's when Disney starts dominating the scene and produces pop stars.

Ahhh, the 90s boy bands. Every girl in my elementary school was nuts for the girl and boy bands. I still play some N'Sync from time to time.

1967!

Great year, and not only because my trusty Zippo is from 1967, which means there is an actual possibility it might have been used by any of the following newcomers...

- The Doors release their debut album 'The Doors', and release their second 'Strange Days' later the same year
- The Velvet Underground make their debut with 'The Velvet Underground & Nico'
- Jimi Hendrix debuts with 'Are You Experienced?', and a few months later his second 'Axis:Bold as Love'
- David Bowie releases his debut album 'David Bowie'
- Pink Floyd debuts with 'Piper At The Gates Of Down'
- Big Brother & The Holding Company, including Janis Joplin, make their debut with their own self-titled album
- Van Morrison debuts with 'Blowin' Your Mind!'
- Captain Beefheart (and His Magic Band) release their first, 'Safe As Milk'
- Nico releases her solo debut 'Chelsea Girl'
- Leonard Cohen debuts with 'Songs of Leonard Cohen'

- Also: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band!

gonzerd , you took it all right out of my mouth! Excellent year for music indeed!

I would add that I am a huge fan of the music from the early 2000's, when bands finally had an outlet (the Internet) to get their stuff out there, and suddenly the amount of music I had access to exploded. It may be more nostalgia than anything else, but that remains my favorite era to this day.

Bring back the 70s - *sigh*

Ok, there's been quite a few decent neo-prog and metal bands through the 80s and 90s up to present day, but for me the 70s will always be the golden era of music.

New Threads

Top Bottom