• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A Healthy Aspie is a Happy Aspie

For health and fitness, I . . .

• Workout daily at home or at a gym.

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Do some aerobic stuff daily.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Work out weekly.

• Could care less, as I'm going for the Jabba the Hutt look.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have a treadmill at home, and I walk (a fast walk, so that I get my heart rate up, but I don't run because I don't want to be too heavy on my knees as there's a long family history of knee problems and arthritis..and also I hate running..) every morning for 30 minutes. Usually manage about 1.5-2 miles in that time. We also haven't had a car since mine died a couple of years ago, so we walk everywhere we can and use public transport where we can't.

I myself do a heck of a lot of running, boxing and various other martial arts for fitness such as karate. Another sport I used to be really into (not to the same extent now) was cycling. Cardio is my favourite type of exercise.

Have either of you seen "The Big Blue?" It came out in 1988 and was about free diving. I've not seen it, but I recall seeing the trailers in the theaters. It looked like it might be good:

I've not seen that movie yet. There is also another one called "Ocean Men" That I've haven't seen yet either. I have seen "Millon dollar mermaid" which is a story/autobiography about an aquatic performer called Annette Kellerman.

I don't like how the media portrays the sport of freediving in general. They make it look like it some kind of super risky, super dangerous daredevil stunt. Granted, it can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. But it would be nice if the media would show it more as a recreational sport as well.

I've not seen that movie yet. There is also another one called "Ocean Men" That I've haven't seen yet either. I have seen "Millon dollar mermaid" which is a story/autobiography about an aquatic performer called Annette Kellerman.

I don't like how the media portrays the sport of freediving in general. They make it look like it some kind of super risky, super dangerous daredevil stunt. Granted, it can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. But it would be nice if the media would show it more as a recreational sport as well.

I think free-diving is great exercise and also a lot of fun, but certainly not particularly dangerous. Here in Southern California we often see people being clobbered by the waves and doing things that are potentially dangerous because they don't know and understand the conditions here.

Ocean Men is not familiar but I'll keep it in mind and watch for it. I have seen Million Dollar Mermaid but I don't even remember what it was about. I only remember that it starred Ester Williams.

It's most definitely not some daredevil stunt; that's what Evel Knievel did. I recall seeing freediving on a sports program many years ago. That was before "extreme sports" came around. It was viewed as a legitimate sport in the same category as cliff diving, surfing, etc. I was amazed at how the competitors could hold their breath for so long, go down and get the marker (whatever it's called), and return to the surface.

I never did any of the competition-type diving, I only did it to enjoy nature and visit the fishes and occasionally spear one for dinner. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately for the fish) I got to the point where I could no longer spear them. I would scuba dive the same locations and get to know all the critters down there and they became more like pets than dinner.

There's nothing I can do about my Asperger's syndrome...but I can certainly do something about my health. I was diagnosed with type II diabetes a year ago and I've been able to lose over six stone in weight and get quite fit for my age - I think my Asperger's syndrome has helped me because I'm very focused.

New Threads

Top Bottom