• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Wikis

Keith

Do you have any wikis? I have a few. It seems to help with my obsessions. I update the pages when I feel like it and have something to add.

Mine are:

Classic Nickelodeon
Classic Disney Channel
Classic Cars
Classic Rock Hall of Fame

I'd be interested in the URL for the Classic Nickelodeon one.

I used to watch The Third Eye and YCDTOT.

No. I've tried wikis a few times and the coding just drives me nuts. I stick to making normal webpages. Well, what was normal ten years ago. Modern webdesign is weird.

I once tried to make a wiki page as a joke about a friend of mine. But I never did finish it.

I've edited articles on dozens of wikis but never actually set one up.

I did once want to set one up based on the TV series Tracker, but never got around to it.
(Also, trust me when I say I could go into very deep detail about that show. :D)

No. I've tried wikis a few times and the coding just drives me nuts. I stick to making normal webpages. Well, what was normal ten years ago. Modern webdesign is weird.

Available bandwidth changed everything.

In the late 90s when I was a web designer for a corporation most everyone knows, it was not permitted to create anything that might take maybe 15 seconds or more to open based on the average 56kbps connection. Back then we were just beginning to adopt server-side functionality. It was fun...

Now it's a mass of multimedia online. A far cry from what I'd consider "the web". Too many new tricks required for this old dawg to get back into that game. :oops:

Last edited:
I agree with you. Too many design students mistake distracting, eye-catching movement for actually being attractive. There are practical concerns that often get ignored in the "need" to keep up with current trends.
Amen to that! Those ugly, evil sliders. And some of them have some irritating element in them that not even Adblock Plus can stomp out. Drives me batty!

deviantART is one of the WORST for horrible, horrible designs and they do it every single time they make an announcement. This one is a prime example: http://techgnotic.deviantart.com/journal/Secrets-of-Superman-s-Underwear-453097017
(And might I add they forgot to mention one of the reasons why superheroes prance about in their tighty whities is because the original outfits were based on acrobats and circus performers who wore "modesty shorts".)

Available bandwidth changed everything.

In the late 90s when I was a web designer for a corporation most everyone knows, it was not permitted to create anything that might take maybe 15 seconds or more to open based on the average 56kbps connection. Back then we were just beginning to adopt server-side functionality. It was fun...

Now it's a mass of multimedia online. A far cry from what I'd consider "the web". Too many new tricks required for this old dawg to get back into that game. :oops:
I still think negatively of any business too lazy to make their own website and just hosts it all on Facebook. Or any who uses WordPress. I'm not sure if I dislike Facebook or WordPress more. Aside from design issues, both of them are horribly bloated and bogged down with scripts. I tend to have browser crashes when I have to go there regardless of how new my browser is. At least those who do use some kind of wiki software for their sites have the bonus of having a fairly smooth website experience. The only time a wiki site has ever crashed my browser (or computer) was if they smothered it in ads.

Amen to that! Those ugly, evil sliders. And some of them have some irritating element in them that not even Adblock Plus can stomp out. Drives me batty!

deviantART is one of the WORST for horrible, horrible designs and they do it every single time they make an announcement. This one is a prime example: http://techgnotic.deviantart.com/journal/Secrets-of-Superman-s-Underwear-453097017
(And might I add they forgot to mention one of the reasons why superheroes prance about in their tighty whities is because the original outfits were based on acrobats and circus performers who wore "modesty shorts".)

Haha, tell me about it! I spent years completely ignoring their site updates, and even now I only click on them if I think I'll get a badge out of it.

They've actually got a new thing on their website called a "motion book" where you can make your own hideous, sliding monstrosity. I've looked at one of them. One.

Haha, tell me about it! I spent years completely ignoring their site updates, and even now I only click on them if I think I'll get a badge out of it.

They've actually got a new thing on their website called a "motion book" where you can make your own hideous, sliding monstrosity. I've looked at one of them. One.
I remain blissfully ignorant of such a horror. O_O

I still think negatively of any business too lazy to make their own website and just hosts it all on Facebook. Or any who uses WordPress. I'm not sure if I dislike Facebook or WordPress more. Aside from design issues, both of them are horribly bloated and bogged down with scripts. I tend to have browser crashes when I have to go there regardless of how new my browser is. At least those who do use some kind of wiki software for their sites have the bonus of having a fairly smooth website experience. The only time a wiki site has ever crashed my browser (or computer) was if they smothered it in ads.

You would have likely appreciated my approach to web design, although admittedly from a different era. I hand-coded everything I ever did from scratch. Used Homesite 4.0 as a text editor, but never made use of anything that automated the few features you could. Now so many people use other programs like Dreamweaver to create bloated rocket science code...not at all what I used to do. Back then if I couldn't understand exactly how it worked, I wouldn't use it.

Funny though to look back at how difficult it was to go from HTML to Flash. Very different concepts...but I was ordered to learn Flash. But management always wanted stuff to "pop"...form over substance. :eek:

Last edited:
You would have likely appreciated my approach to web design, although admittedly from a different era. I hand-coded everything I ever did from scratch. Used Homesite 4.0 as a text editor, but never made use of anything that automated the few features you could. Now so many people use other programs like Dreamweaver to create bloated rocket science code...not at all what I used to do. Back then if I couldn't understand exactly how it worked, I wouldn't use it.

Funny though to look back at how difficult it was to go from HTML to Flash. Very different concepts...but I was ordered to learn Flash. But management always wanted stuff to "pop"...form over substance. :eek:
I still do all mine from scratch! :)

I started out on GeoCities and their PageBuilder until I could learn enough to take over. And when I did, oo, had so many things to say about their generated coding. I worked in Notepad until I heard of Notepad++. I liked the color upgrade. :yum:

I've always vehemently avoided Flash websites. It was a nightmare on dial-up. Some Flash sites still crash my browser and sometimes my whole computer.

I've edited a on a few wikis before, Paper Mario wiki, The Pokemon Wiki, and Dragon Quest Wiki. I've stopped mostly because of a rough experience I had while editing the Pokemon Wiki. But I still like to read them.

Also, does Tv tropes count as a wiki?

New Threads

Top Bottom