• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why aren't horses eaten in the U.S.?

There are some things that are either never or rarely used as meat that I’m curious as to what they’d taste like if I was able to eat them. Horse is one of them. Some of the others are an owl, an eagle, a swan, and a parrot.

Considering how our Department of Interior's Bureau of Land Management treats wild horses here in Nevada you have to wonder about the public perception of whether horses are more akin to being pets or just something to eat. :(

Just today we had a talk today in latinamerican literature class. From what I gathered, there is a tradition of not eating horses because of the religious influence on culture, since decapitation and eating of horses was for long associated with pagan rituals.

In my country, there is a small production of horse meat. But I never seen horse meat to buy anywhere, nor anyone I know has ever seen it. It's produced only to export, mostly to France. I think most people wouldn't want to buy horse meat if they see it in the supermarket, so there isn't a local market for it.

Eating horse meat is common in Europe, being of European descent I have occasionally eaten horse meat. My wife likes it.

I do recall living in a major city, and the ducks started disappearing in a giant park. There was some speculation on where they went. I don't wish to disrespect any culture by saying anymore.

I don't think I would ever eat a horse, but to put this very bluntly, I would rather be disemboweled than be forced to eat a dog.

moo.png

Last edited:
I suppose I would try anything if I was hungry enough. It's partly what you are used to as a normal in eating, I guess. My cat eats flies. Where possible.

I've had ostrich steaks, and venison is available tho expensive here. I like beef, chicken, lamb, pork, had goose and crispy duck, nice if well cooked. I do avoid veal. Yet not lamb, so I'm hypocritical I guess. I like fish, especially cod and plaice, as does the cat.

Bacon burgers, with tomato sauce, yum. Ditto sausage burgers, with brioche rolls. Not too often tho, or weight would pile on... I quite often got a fancy burger eating out, but hardly ever at present due to not eating out much, for covid and other health reasons.

I may have had horsemeat, I don't think I have. I did have frogs legs and snails in France years ago. Mainly garlic came through on the snails. But I like crab, lobster, mussels, and scallops, so why not snails?

No insects yet. But I suppose it could happen. And I probably may have had insect parts, like wherever are used for food colourings etc? Do we always even know what we've eaten, at the level of flavourings or colourings? Hmm.

I suppose I would try anything if I was hungry enough. It's partly what you are used to as a normal in eating, I guess. My cat eats flies. Where possible.

I've had ostrich steaks, and venison is available tho expensive here. I like beef, chicken, lamb, pork, had goose and crispy duck, nice if well cooked. I do avoid veal. Yet not lamb, so I'm hypocritical I guess. I like fish, especially cod and plaice, as does the cat.

Bacon burgers, with tomato sauce, yum. Ditto sausage burgers, with brioche rolls. Not too often tho, or weight would pile on... I quite often got a fancy burger eating out, but hardly ever at present due to not eating out much, for covid and other health reasons.

I may have had horsemeat, I don't think I have. I did have frogs legs and snails in France years ago. Mainly garlic came through on the snails. But I like crab, lobster, mussels, and scallops, so why not snails?

No insects yet. But I suppose it could happen. And I probably may have had insect parts, like wherever are used for food colourings etc? Do we always even know what we've eaten, at the level of flavourings or colourings? Hmm.

The push for eating insects has been around for a number of years and I've seen mention of it in the media from time to time. Obviously the idea hasn't yet gained traction. It smacks of elitist fantasy; having the plebes literally eat bugs while they continue to dine on their sumptuous victuals. When I first heard of the idea I thought the same thing that I think today: I would consider eating bugs only after the rich, "the 1%", the "elite" eat bugs as their primary protein source for an absolutely verifiable period of five years. I would consider it only under that condition. Otherwise...they can kiss my iridescent thorax.

Try to find meat unsorces, food sources that don't kill living animals. They do exist. Wake up.

Last edited:
Do we always even know what we've eaten, at the level of flavourings or colourings? Hmm.

I've been involved with fur trapping. The anal glands of beavers, the "castor glands," are saved by the majority of beaver trappers--once upon a time castor musk was used for perfumery; nowadays it's used to produce vanillin--yes that's right, artificial vanilla flavoring is made out of beaver crack.

Watch what you eat.

I'm highly considering going vegetarian, and if I want meat I would prefer to limit myself to any meat I can take humanely in hunting season. Hunters who are good at their job can kill without the quarry knowing what's happened. This is not something that happens in the commercial slaughterhouse. Small farmers, dependent on who's doing it, are able to do the same--if they care about their beasts.

And though I am very fond of horses I do not want to eat them. They may come in handy when we finally do something about lessening the dependence on the automobile.

I would never eat a horse.

The only time horse consumption would ever be considered an acceptable option would be as an ultimate last resort in order to avoid starvation.

I would eat a wild horse, they do exist in some places but are protected so unrealistic. I'd never eat a domesticated horse - as said in this thread already - the drugs.

New Threads

Top Bottom