• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Where can I rate places that are sensory friendly?

granolaturtle

I just went to a really great little Mexican restaurant. Food was great, but it also had nice low lighting, lots of room, nice and quiet, etc...

I wanna find a way to let other autistic people in my area how good it is, but I don't know where to go.

If you don't mind being "out" places like Yelp and Tripadvisor take reviews, and you can certainly state the sensory load you experienced as part of your take on the place.

I just went to a really great little Mexican restaurant. Food was great, but it also had nice low lighting, lots of room, nice and quiet, etc...

I wanna find a way to let other autistic people in my area how good it is, but I don't know where to go.

I like that idea but the best I have found (also) is Yelp and TripAdvisor. I have gravitated toward TripAdvisor. Whenever a place is too loud or is very quiet I do a review however it's not always easy to find the reviews that mention those things. On TripAdvisor I sometimes click on "Best" and then "Worst" reviews and analyze those. If a place is very noisy the Best reviews might talk about how much "fun" it is and how "cool" etc. The Worst reviews might say something like "I couldn't hear myself think."

I was about to say that there might be potential in a reviewing site especially for people with sensory issues. Or, at the very least, maybe if a large number of us people write them and ask for a feature to be rolled-out where "ambiance" can be used as a filter, they might see some potential.

Don't forget that quiet restaurants, etc. aren't just for the sensory-overload-affected. Older people with hearing issues also appreciate the quiet; too much background noise prevents hearing conversations. You could always phrase a review in those terms.

In the past whenever I have researched "quiet" anything I did not find much at all. I did read about one community somewhere in the USA that had restrictions on loud lawn mowers, pool pumps, leaf blowers, etc but not much about loud stereos, TVs, etc. And it doesn't help when you have people like the governor of Florida proclaiming that people have a constitutional right to blast their Boom Boom cars. I suspect there are now fewer old people moving to Florida.:p

If anyone finds anything such as a quiet list please post a link here. I certainly would like to know about it and, from what I have read here at AC, most people would want to know about it.

What would happen if one were to run a Google search exactly like that: "Name of place +ambiance", with a space before the plus sign, but not after, and all in quotation marks in order to retrieve only the results that contain both keywords?
I'm not saying it would work 100% of the time, but maybe it's worth testing?

What would happen if one were to run a Google search exactly like that: "Name of place +ambiance", with a space before the plus sign, but not after, and all in quotation marks in order to retrieve only the results that contain both keywords?
I'm not saying it would work 100% of the time, but maybe it's worth testing?

I haven't heard of anyone using Boolean operators for many years!

And yes, I have tried them. But that doesn't necessarily I tried the right ones ;)

Oh but I love Boolean operators. I haven't heard of many people who know what they are called, though (I know, I know, I'm not hanging around the right crowds).
But crap, it doesn't work? I have to say I'm stuck on a rotation of a few restaurants, and I pick times that are bound to be quieter, so it's not something I've given too much thought... not that it would be useful anyways, unless someone is looking for unusually tiny restaurants in Paris.

Oh but I love Boolean operators. I haven't heard of many people who know what they are called, though (I know, I know, I'm not hanging around the right crowds).
But crap, it doesn't work? I have to say I'm stuck on a rotation of a few restaurants, and I pick times that are bound to be quieter, so it's not something I've given too much thought... not that it would be useful anyways, unless someone is looking for unusually tiny restaurants in Paris.

If anyone would know what they are called it would be the people here ;)

True... probably some reflex I developed from getting those angry/puzzled looks when I used the term. I'm still under the yoke of coworkers who lack curiosity and then go all "Well look at you, all arrogant using those big words" ;) When really I'm not being arrogant; I'm being accurate.

My vocabulary was rapidly deteriorating from being online. Many posts are so badly written that I can't even tell if someone is for or against the issue. Most people can't seem to write a five word sentence without at least two spelling errors and a grammar error. I was actually helpful when I was on the dating sites because most women immediately ruled themselves out with the writing skills. More than once I have seen someone criticizing people's "spelling and grammer." ;) It's refreshing to be here where I don't feel like I have to limit my words to two syllables.

I still use Boolean operators on eBay but they don't seem to work very well on Google--the results displayed are based upon who paid the most money. I sure miss Alta Vista and Deja.

My vocabulary was rapidly deteriorating from being online. Many posts are so badly written that I can't even tell if someone is for or against the issue. Most people can't seem to write a five word sentence without at least two spelling errors and a grammar error. I was actually helpful when I was on the dating sites because most women immediately ruled themselves out with the writing skills. More than once I have seen someone criticizing people's "spelling and grammer." ;) It's refreshing to be here where I don't feel like I have to limit my words to two syllables.

I still use Boolean operators on eBay but they don't seem to work very well on Google--the results displayed are based upon who paid the most money. I sure miss Alta Vista and Deja.
Well, there's always Bing ;)
But back to the previous topic, I wholeheartedly agree: no restrictions needed in that area is refreshing indeed.

New Threads

Top Bottom