• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Understanding People

AdamG

[ INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK ]
V.I.P Member
My brain loves to analyze people, and their behaviors, and social trends, spanning sometimes into historical trends.
I'm very empathic, so maybe this is how I deal with it. By mapping people into fluid groups and subgroups of an ensemble of patterns.
One of the reasons I don't speak to people, is because I love telling them what I see. I used to play at reading tarot cards to mask this, I never cared what cards they were, but I made them fit somehow to what I saw. My readings were called ... unconventional :)
But I got tired of playing with cards.

I don't know, I just wanted to share this.

I studied Sociology in school. It sounds a lot like a more formal version of this. It was excellent, revealing, and endlessly fascinating.

I studied Sociology in school. It sounds a lot like a more formal version of this. It was excellent, revealing, and endlessly fascinating.
I've considered what I do to be a mix of Sociology and Psychology. It bleeds a little into Political Science as well.

(by the way I like your signature quote)

@AdamG Of course, you must admit to an insatiable appetite to knowledge. That's basically what I received, from your post.

I think it's part of our NEED to understand the Universe and everything/everyone within - Especially those in our environments.

I know so much more than I've related to folk, 'cause they just won't get it. On the opposite side, I was envious of allistics before I knew what the term meant.

Now that I do, I feel a bit ashamed. They're a sad, mixed up lot caught up in interpersonal social hierarchies, I was unencumbered with.

I did so by studying the lowest form of human behavior.

- Political Science
Yes. ^^This^^. How do you learn to manipulate and control thoughts and ideas of the masses? Tap into their fears.

@AdamG, for sure, I tend to study human behavior silently, without their awareness, sort of like Jane Goodall and the chimpanzees. :) I think part of the reason is that I truly am perplexed how much emotional inputs dictate what people say and do, and being alexithymic, emotionally disconnected more often than not, I tend to fall back upon my logic centers. Evidently, most people are the opposite, so it is quite confusing and rather unpredictable at times. Just when you think you know someone, they will surprise you. Having said that, I really don't have any idea what people are thinking or the reasons behind what they say and do, at least not in the moment. Logically, I know behaviors tend to be emotionally-driven, but what those emotions are, I don't have a clue. I've known my wife for nearly 40 years, and still find myself clueless to the point where I specifically have to ask her things. She can't hint or give me clues, she just has to be direct.

@Legend In My Own Mind yes, I have a huge thirst for knowledge, so long as it isn't boring knowledge :) I have trouble with dates and time spans, so historical names and dates are pretty meaningless to me. I do understand history, though. I had to figure out people because it was the only way I could see how and where I fit in (huge masker, tried to fit in a lot and hide my differences. It did work sort of, to my great stress (basically I've shut down for public anything for the last 10 years, including jobs). But people still thought me strange.

@Neonatal RRT I don't always know "what" they are feeling, I just get a sense of how they might act (probabilities) in a given situation, or with certain input. I feel quite deeply, but unless I'm overwhelmed, I don't use my emotions to act. I find NTs to be quite confusing. Well, sometimes I can tell "what" but not always.

Human beings are fascinating creatures. We all have our own special talents and unique abilities. I am interested in human beings and what type of people they are. I am more focused on peoples brains than their appearances. I like to understand how people think. Appearances don’t bother me.

New Threads

Top Bottom