• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Robot Thread

Does anybody remember Metal Men comics?
Yes, but I thought their stories were lame.

Screenshot-2022-04-14-at-14.17.06.png

Considering how much a fan I am of Transformers and other mecha series, this robot thread is very interesting to me.

What's not to like about robots?
When I was a kid, the Astroboy cartoon was around (1960s). I was determined that when I grew up, I would get myself turned into a robot.
In an overzealous effort to get my extreme emotional outbursts under control, I pretty much idolized and emulated Mr Spock, and actually did stop my emotional outbursts. In Jr High and High School, I was criticised for being too much of a robot.

That disturbance is known as the "uncanny valley."
Well on a visual aspect it is creepy but maybe it is reflective of their own views...
How people expect people to think alike, look alike, live alike, be like minded
So seriously we might as well be androids if people cannot accept people are different when we are made with completely different characteristics and looks and genetic makeup and our own unique personality.

When I was in high school, I won a prize that was a kit for a speech synthesizer. It was a breadboard electronic kit with provision to swap out three different capacitors to change a wave form in order to produce ten different vowel sounds. There was a special circular slide rule provided for choosing them. I decided to just try it with random capacitors, holding two by hand. I slipped, so the sound in the earphones changed during the test. It said "ma.' Then I made it say "Ma ma." So, I think that robots like me. "M" was not listed as possible.
I'm very impressed with the Boston Dynamics robo-dogs, and I really wish humans would focus on robots instead of humans in space, but my greatest hope is for millions of 3-D printed robots weighing just a few kilos each tending an organic permaculture better than the smartest gardener could. Currently, farms are totally dependent on chemicals - the farmers don't even own plows, just giant machines dependent on poisons and diesel.

New Threads

Top Bottom