• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The breakdown and its consequences

Thebornskeptic

I never saw it coming, intellectually life was a breeze for me, of course, I didn't have any friends, treated relationships casually, had no contact with family members, walked out on a 20 year marriage with ne'er a backward glance but, none of this was odd, right? I mean with my career, my global responsibilities I just didn't have time to form close relationships nor empathise with people.....Then the breakdown and the spiral into the psychiatric profession, medication for this, medication for that on and on. Finally break free, but now more contemplative. Sure I had depression, had it all my life, sure I had anxiety but, don't we all, sure I had no friends but....now why was that, why did I not feel the need for company, why no contact with family. Why no empathy? The journey begins, ever vigilant regarding cognitive fallacies, (confirmation bias, hindsight bias, post-hoc rationalization, causality bias). The medications had not helped, I had weaned myself off them and yet I was back to where I was "before". As is my wont, if I become interested in a subject I become as expert as I can in it so I studied psychiatry, psychology, neuro-psychiatry, neurology, was it this condition, that condition, by the time I had read DSM-IV I had convinced myself I had nearly every listed condition...... Then I started to focus in on Aspergers. It fitted here, it fitted there, it kind of fitted over there so I take the many on-line diagnosis tests, I correspond with a renowned neuroscientist.....I reach a verdict.

Now, my plan is to have my diagnosis confirmed. This forum should help me understand the issues in greater depth.

Thats all for now.

TBS

New Threads

Top Bottom