• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sudden Fear Of Talking

KevinMao133

I can’t explain this but there are times in which I feel difficult, like really really difficult

I have overcame many things but somehow this is hard

For some reason, sometimes I am afraid of talking, like I am afraid of explaining

Whenever I am planning on something and it is different than what others expect, I always worry, worry too much

How do I explain things without losing control of my emotions and what should I do?

I use different methods I write down what I'm wanting to convey (say) I use signs that other people have designed, and slowly trying to learn British sign language, look up the word mindfulness then examples of mindfulness see which one interests you you're probably already doing them instinctively, tell them what level of autism you have, if you feel it's safe to do that, my mother had something called a light writer, you typed in sentences or just one word or grammar and it's spoke the word it's for anybody who can't speak, you could just record on your mobile (cell) phone , what you want to say, some people make very small flashcards with a short sentence and colour the outside of it depending on if you want to colour the outside of it

I can’t explain this but there are times in which I feel difficult, like really really difficult

I have overcame many things but somehow this is hard

For some reason, sometimes I am afraid of talking, like I am afraid of explaining

Whenever I am planning on something and it is different than what others expect, I always worry, worry too much

How do I explain things without losing control of my emotions and what should I do?

My entire life has been about doing things that others do not expect. Most people are followers,...they find security in "normality" and "sameness",...and don't understand "out-of-the-box" thinkers. You really need to flip your attitude around and embrace it.

In my experience, I will explain something practical, like say,...rooftop solar (which I have) and electric cars (which I have),...all the money I am saving and how easy, reliable, and low maintenance it is. People will nod their head, exclaim "Wow!" and act excited,...then that's as far as it goes. They'd rather spend their money on old, dirty, unreliable, and expensive technology from the last century,...because that is what they know and are familiar with. It could be building a net positive energy efficient home out of insulated concrete forms, with solar and geothermal,...instead of lumber,...again "Wow!", get all excited,...and build their next home out of lumber.

I don't know if it is a lack of intelligence or something in the amygdala, but it comes to a point where you know you did your research, the science and data is there to do something better, it is often less expensive in the long run,...and there is no convincing people. You getting emotional or passionate about your ideas and not getting the response you want is absolutely normal.

Stop your need for validation and just go about your life. Most will not understand despite the most informative of explanations. I spend most of my time thinking I am a "resident alien",...walking and living amongst these creatures that look like me,...but they are an entirely different species.

@KevinMao133,

Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway.
Elbert Hubbard

I live by these words. I really do! And I have found them to be true.

The thing is, those who demand an explaination are comanding you to justify your very existence as though you are only on this earth at their whim. They might say "but I care about you", "I just want you to do well" and a raft of other gaslighting phrases that all come down to the belief that their opinions and world view are all more important than your own even if the topic is you yourself!

Is there a thing that you want to do which you worry telling someone about?

Sometimes for me it is a help to make a decision tree. Then I have an order to follow.

Tell them nothing, until after you have done it.

Until then, put them and the worry aside.

Once you have done whatever it is, you can describe it logically to the person, right?

a decision tree

There are things I can not say until I'm feeling less emotional over it. Like if something happens that really hurt my feelings, it might be a week before I can get it out.
I also have a problem with telling someone when I don't want to do something.
Explaining - I may do too much of. I feel like people need to know why I do this or think that. My son, apparently, hates when I do that. Growing up I hated always being ask "Why did you do this?", so maybe that just taught me to always try to figure out why everything. I don't know. Okay - I'll start rambling on that one and it's unrelated, so I'll stop now. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom