• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Should one be professionally diagnosed?

i SA
i say therapist as i.DONT have the strength to list the professions

Then hopefully you mean someone with the minimum qualifications of having an MD. Not those at the levels of only psychologists and social workers. Otherwise "therapists" leaves that door open. That's all.

Though even under the best alleged care there are never any guarantees to secure the diagnosis one is actually seeking.

Last edited:
The doctor I saw, before we got started with the numerous sessions to establish (well, confirm, to be honest) my ASD asked me to think about what it was I expected out of the diagnosis. Was it protection/adjustments on the job, for example? Was it sole validation of what I had identified? Ans I thought these were very good questions, however, they're not the only things I would consider.

Ultimately, it's really up to you to seek a diagnosis or not, and I have no idea how it works in Australia, but here's what I've realized since I got the diagnosis:

- First, my parents. Now, I know I don't speak for everyone here, but I do have fairly supportive, if unconventional, parents. However, my father is a full-blown, very stressed Aspie, so because of that, my mother was in some kind of denial about my self-diagnosis. And while we have an amazing relationship, the fact that she always felt that I did not fit that box based on the other case she knew definitely hurt, kind of like she was denying, or at least minimizing, my struggles and suffering. I also did such a great job (yay for female Aspies!) at hiding most of my quirks and all that she could not have a single idea of what I was going through and how much coping and faking were involved. I'm not blaming her, because yeah, I probably did put on such a convincing show that I had her completely fooled. So for me, getting that official stamp of Aspie approval did remove the one subject that we could not agree on, incidentally the one where I needed her support the most. Now we're building a new rapport regarding how to deal with certain things that she had not suspected.

- Work or school: I haven't been back to work since I got the diagnosis a few months ago due to another medical issue, and at the moment it is a very tricky prospect. I'm actually looking forward to being fired so that I can get benefits, because that workplace caused a major burnout, and there is no way I can go back there and not be severely harmed by all the nonsense and bullying that goes on in that place. I have, however, considered going back to school, and it's made me realize how much better I would have done in college if I had had that extra time and accommodations that I would be entitled to now that I have a diagnosis. Again, I do not know what is offered in Australia, but this might be worth considering if you feel you would benefit from it.
On a somewhat related note, the diagnosis did take some time and effort to get. Had it not been for the current burnout, I would not have had or been able to make the time to go through all of that process. If you feel now is a good time, I'd say that's a factor worth considering. But if it would take time away that you currently really need for studying, then maybe factor that in as well. Now, because it is time-consuming, I think in most cases already having the diagnosis, and using it later on, on an ad hoc basis, seems easier than waiting till the day you need it to go and get it.

- Lastly, mental health. Now, that is definitely speaking from my (very) personal experience, but I've been seeing all kinds of psychiatrists, and placed on more meds than I can count, since I was 16 or so. Anxiety and PTSD, yeah, I clearly have, that's a fact. But because I'm a female, and Aspie traits aren't as widely recognized even to this day, I feel that there has been even more trial and error, strong emphasis on error, regarding possible treatments than there would have been if I had been able to oppose my diagnosis to insufficiently educated doctors. The mental support I've received, or lack thereof, is actually my strongest argument in favor of seeking a diagnosis, in that it could most likely keep you from having to go through the same type of hell that I went to. From psychotherapy that left me feeling guilty that I couldn't conform to being labelled bipolar, schizo-something, to being committed for several months, to taking medication that destroyed me from years... (and that was in spite of my parents fighting for me so that I would be treated in a more humane way)
The misdiagnosis is a thing with Aspies, and I feel that the official diagnosis comes as some sort of protection to shield us against being called crazy and abused.

My psychologist is very certain I have it based on my AQ test score and just general behavior. However he doesn't think a formal diagnosis is necessary because he feels like he and I can work together on managing it; and that's what we're doing right now, having covered mostly anxieties and social skills. Ultimately, however, it's your decision.

New Threads

Top Bottom