• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Semantics Question

There must be some "optional" contractural paperwork at the end of each tour of duty that they can sign that keeps them "on reserve" in some capacity, and they are no longer "active" status, but "retired" status, but are still able to be called up in time of need, keeping their rank, and so on.
It's called Reserve status. When I left the Air Force, despite what I had been told, I was on inactive Reserve status. I only found out six years later when I was discharged from Reserve.

As a general rule, "retired" means she has no intention of going back to work. Retirement is a psychological state. Other people leave work but move on to other careers. They typically wouldn't refer to themselves as retired.

There is usually some kind of pension involved in retirement as well. There are full retirements - usually after a minimum of 20 years - and partial retirements. Many police departments offer very good benefits, including medical retirement if one becomes disabled due to job-related conditions.

It's called Reserve status. When I left the Air Force, despite what I had been told, I was on inactive Reserve status. I only found out six years later when I was discharged from Reserve.
They told me that all enlistments are 6 years. If you do 2 years of active duty, you still have 4 in inactive reserve. Do 6 years of active duty or active reserve and you don't have any inactive reserve commitment.

I don't know THAT much about how the military classifies individuals in terms of "retired". Certainly, I have relatives that retired from the military after putting in some 25+ years of service, collecting a pension, etc. However, there are others that say, do their 4 years, perhaps sign up to do another tour, but then have some time off, go back and do another tour, etc. There must be some "optional" contractural paperwork at the end of each tour of duty that they can sign that keeps them "on reserve" in some capacity, and they are no longer "active" status, but "retired" status, but are still able to be called up in time of need, keeping their rank, and so on. I say "optional" in the sense that most people put in their 4 years and are done with it, and I've never heard them (my co-workers that were in the military) say "I'm retired military". I don't know.
Just to throw another one in… I think reserves stay in practice while others are called inactive reserve.

They told me that all enlistments are 6 years. If you do 2 years of active duty, you still have 4 in inactive reserve. Do 6 years of active duty or active reserve and you don't have any inactive reserve commitment.
That's EXACTLY what I was told. I did 6 years of active duty. Thought I was done till 6 years later

That's EXACTLY what I was told. I did 6 years of active duty. Thought I was done till 6 years later
I understand that if a draft is instituted and there is a national emergency, people discharged recently will be the first to be drafted. Makes sense. They would have a much faster training cycle—refamiliarization rather than starting from scratch.

I understand that if a draft is instituted and there is a national emergency, people discharged recently will be the first to be drafted. Makes sense. They would have a much faster training cycle—refamiliarization rather than starting from scratch.
True. Hypothetically, I could have been brought back into service during the first Gulf War. Would have surprised the heck out of me, since I thought I had served my full committment

Police officers don't start out as detectives. They start out in uniform for several years. Then may go into vice or drugs or after time be promoted to detective. That 11 years as a detective would not include the previous positions.

So she could have had many more years than 11 on the police force.

If I started work as a school teacher and was promoted up to principal, I would say I was a retired principle regardless of how long I worked any of the jobs.

New Threads

Top Bottom