• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Resident Evil 4 (remake) 24/03/2023

Not sure.
From what I've heard others say, the original Resident Evil remake in 2002 was pretty good, the Resident Evil 2 remake was a mixed bag and the Resident Evil 3 remake felt more like a DLC extension.

Resident Evil 4's remake could be good, or it could be awful. Let's hope Capcom learns from their mistakes with the previous remakes and doesn't mess this up.

Let's hope Capcom learns from their mistakes with the previous remakes and doesn't mess this up.

Dont get your hopes up.

The guys on top dont care how the game turns out: They care how well it sells. And that's it.

Right now, "remakes" and "remasters" are big buzzwords on the corporate side of things... that's why there's been so many of them in the last couple of years (well, that and they're much easier and cheaper to make, because half of the work is already done).

At the very least, dont pre-order it, no matter what shiny things they dangle in front of you. There's never any good reason to pre-order something digital.

I also feel as if it's a cash grab. I mean, have you seen how Leon Kennedy looks? In the 2005, original game, you could tell Leon was a bit older, following the events from Raccoon City up to when he works for the US government. If you know the story, they basically took Sherry Birkin, due to her father infecting her, and blackmailed him. But that's not the case with the remake, from the glimpse I got of the dude's face.

Also, in all the time they're wasting developing these reimaginings, that money could have probably gone into making some new, original game. But even their recent sequels just copied other games by both themselves, and rival developers. Like, you can tell that RE8 is supposed to be just like RE4 anyway.

It's so stupid, too. Having merchants selling you ammo and stuff, doesn't define "survival horror" to myself. And believe me when I say, I've played dozens of horror games. You're not meant to buy your gear. That's just a dumb concept, being honest.

I also feel as if it's a cash grab. I mean, have you seen how Leon Kennedy looks? In the 2005, original game, you could tell Leon was a bit older, following the events from Raccoon City up to when he works for the US government. If you know the story, they basically took Sherry Birkin, due to her father infecting her, and blackmailed him. But that's not the case with the remake, from the glimpse I got of the dude's face.

Also, in all the time they're wasting developing these reimaginings, that money could have probably gone into making some new, original game. But even their recent sequels just copied other games by both themselves, and rival developers. Like, you can tell that RE8 is supposed to be just like RE4 anyway.

It's so stupid, too. Having merchants selling you ammo and stuff, doesn't define "survival horror" to myself. And believe me when I say, I've played dozens of horror games. You're not meant to buy your gear. That's just a dumb concept, being honest.

In all honesty, Capcom's take on "horror" has always been a little stupid.

Why am I supposed to be scared of this big monster thing when *I* have a Mega Hyper Doom Cannon that I found in a toilet and all he's got is claws and the ability to make snarling noises? Even when I'm instead up against some eldritch abomination of a boss monster, well... chances are I can still shoot it to death (which then shows that it wasnt actually very strong to start with... all bark and little bite. I'm sorry but freaking Azathoth shouldnt be stopped by my silly little chaingun).

That was always my problem with RE in the first place: it never got close to scary in the first place. Any monster was just another Goomba to be smeared all over the wall with whatever weapon I had, and anything I didnt annihilate was probably too slow and/or dumb to pose a threat (AKA, said monster didnt get destroyed simply because I couldnt be bothered). A lot of games seem to do this, and I've never understood the point.

They're just action games with oddly ugly monsters and a lot of blood, as far as I'm concerned.

Doesnt mean those games cant still be fun, mind you. But scary? Nah. Having vendors in weird places is the least of the problems on that particular list.

But anyway, yeah, I doubt that whatever they make next is *really* going to live up to whatever the older games were. It is though at least not 100% guaranteed to suck though. RE 7 and 8 had issues but they were still at least the level of being decent (unlike certain other AAA releases in recent years).

And it could be worse... it could be much worse.

That new Silent Hill? Yeah, after I learned more about that (and who is now behind it) my reaction was basically like

cdf8a212c20f235f3b4a283664ce0595.jpg

The RE series has always been horror combined with action. But once Capcom seen the commercial viability with games like RE4, it was all downhill from there.

The games are stupid now. But the gameplay in general isn't the problem. It's more so the plot.

You just struggle to care about it anymore.

The RE series has always been horror combined with action. But once Capcom seen the commercial viability with games like RE4, it was all downhill from there.

The games are stupid now. But the gameplay in general isn't the problem. It's more so the plot.

You just struggle to care about it anymore.

From what I understand, RE4 went through a lot of changes before it got made, with four scrapped versions before they finally got to the finished product.

Yeah. There is that 3.5 version with the hallucinations, and the "hook man" enemy that stalks Leon. Some people actually really like that prototype, as there was little figures in the rooms that attacked you. I'm not sure if they were dolls, but it was kind of weird. Didn't really feel like what RE normally offers up, though. More like what you typically see in Silent Hill, or something.

But, yeah. I do think this remake of RE4 is probably going to be successful, because well, it's RE4. But they have yet to do a new game, in third person. Remakes aren't really new games. Their sequels under the RE Engine have so far featured a faceless guy, only playable in first person.

Now, I am not opposed to having new characters being brought in, but hey. Capcom should at least allow fans to see what they look like. We see the guy's family, after all. But never his face. Someone had to do something with the camera, so you can see in YouTube videos in the epilogue, that he is supposed to be the guy walking towards the car at the cemetery.

New Threads

Top Bottom