• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Question: Would You Consider These Graphics Good?

Do the graphics for Rampage on the Gameboy Color look good?

• Total voters

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Now go away!*
V.I.P Member
I commented on a video on YouTube that Rampage for GBC had some really bad and ugly graphics and people got mad and called me “ignorant” and claimed I was “trolling” and that they are amazing and the video isn’t what they really look like and that I’ve never saw the game in person. I actually have and I mainly remember it because I went on this church youth group retreat in high school and these boys tried to frame me for stealing a GBC with this stupid game with no proof and never got in trouble for it even after I proved to everyone that I didn’t do it. But that isn’t why I said these games were awful. I said because they truly are when you examine them and compare them to other games released around the same time which is between 1999 and 2000.

I mean does this look good to you?
upload_2022-2-24_4-31-33.png

upload_2022-2-24_4-31-57.png

upload_2022-2-24_4-34-48.png

Now for some games released around the same time and older:
upload_2022-2-24_4-35-54.jpeg

upload_2022-2-24_4-36-42.jpeg

upload_2022-2-24_4-37-30.png

upload_2022-2-24_4-41-1.gif

upload_2022-2-24_4-43-50.gif

Seriously, am I the only one to think that the game looks awful by GBC and above standards when we had other games on the system hat looked much better? And I don’t think it was “limitations of the system” or because it wasn’t made by Nintendo either as the Batman was created by Ubisoft which is a third party developer. Please explain to me why I’m “ignorant.”

I've always found marketing strategies based on nostalgia alone to more often than not be failures. But yes, they do appeal to some people. Just not me- or you. Even though I'm close to twice your age, and quite reminiscent of such graphics back in the late 80s.

Primitive, but not so resource-hungry they demanded everyone have the most powerful PC to play them. That's the one thing that I look back fondly of those times. When frame rates and GPU/CPU temperatures were non-issues. And pretty much everyone had the chance for a favorable computer gaming experience.

For some years I used to keep another "legacy" computer in my closet. About once a year I'd take it out, hook it up to a monitor and marvel at DOS 5.0 with Windows 3.1 and play such games with so limited, primitive graphics. All for about five minutes, lol. Then I'd get bored with their visual obsolescence, and pack it all back into my closet.

The eyes have it. Case closed. You are absolved. So am I.

Nostalgia has its place, but it can't so easily undo one's perception when vastly superior graphics exist.

What I don’t get is how people think those graphics are good on a Gameboy Color which had games with amazing graphics that didn’t look so blocky and like blobs in the year 2000 when Mortal Kombat 4 on the GBC just as blocky and unpleasant to look at and that game gets ripped to shreds for it. Like I said, part of my hate for Rampage GBC is because of the youth retreat incident but even back then I thought the graphics were incredibly ugly and awful looking even on a screen that small and that I’d never want to buy it let alone even play the game if it looked like Atari E.T. I mean the game even has these yellow blobs that are supposed to be people and they are the worst looking thing of all! I mean the monsters are passable at best but the rest of Rampage looks like something you’d see on the Atari right before the Video Game Industry crash.

What I don’t get is how people think those graphics are good on a Gameboy Color which had games with amazing graphics that didn’t look so blocky and like blobs in the year 2000 when Mortal Kombat 4 on the GBC just as blocky and unpleasant to look at and that game gets ripped to shreds for it. Like I said, part of my hate for Rampage GBC is because of the youth retreat incident but even back then I thought the graphics were incredibly ugly and awful looking even on a screen that small and that I’d never want to buy it let alone even play the game if it looked like Atari E.T.

For some, it's not about esthetics but nostalgia.

Though in the case of so many of us who identify things primarily on a visual level, nostalgia just doesn't go very far.

It's why I mentioned my ritual of taking out my old computer and using it for only five minutes. Though I regret eventually simply tossing it into the trash. But time marches on, and so did computer graphics. And developers continue to push the edge of that particular envelope.

Jagged, aliased graphics repel me! But some folks can look beyond it I suppose. Whatever...:rolleyes:

Those actually look worse than on my old Atari St!
That’s what I mean! The two people who called me ignorant for stating how truly horrendous the graphics were claimed that they were amazing on the GBC and that I didn’t know what I was talking about. That Rampage game has the same graphics you’d see on the NES and that is a really bad thing considering this came out around 2000.

I don't know why anyone would defend some cheap cash-in game like that, considering that around the same time there were the Zelda Oracle games and Shantae. Heck, games like Faceball 2000 and Race Drivin', both not very good games that came out much earlier for the original Game Boy, looked way better than that Rampage game.

I don't know why anyone would defend some cheap cash-in game like that, considering that around the same time there were the Zelda Oracle games and Shantae. Heck, games like Faceball 2000 and Race Drivin', both not very good games that came out much earlier for the original Game Boy, looked way better than that Rampage game.
I know, right? The only reason I remember this abomination of graphics is because of that stupid church youth group retreat weekend where those three boys told the youth pastor that I stole one of their GBC and game without any proof and the pastor believed them and gave me this obviously fake apology about how he needs to search my bag when we got back to the church which I denied him doing my emptying it on the lawn while I screamed that I didn’t steal the stupid thing. And the boys were never made to apologize to me for doing this nor were they ever punished. My dad punished me for making a scene. The monsters I’d say are passable at best but the people and helicopters look awful and as if a five year old created them. There are literally yellow blobs that are supposed to be people and it is a mess!

New Threads

Top Bottom