• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Pickles on a Hamburger?

Pickles on your Hamburger?

• Yes

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters
Caramelized onions all over a vegan burger. But l cook a beef burger for my guy. But he does eat my black pea burgers, and l overload them with condiments. I cook down onions with ungodly amounts of A1.

I wonder if hamburgers are popular in Hamburg, Deutschland?

Chickenburgers, salmonburgers, beef hamburgers, sausageburgers, it's all good! As for toppings, vegetables are pretty much out of the picture, that includes veggieburgers. Various cheeses, lotsa mustard, shrooms, bacon, eggs are the thing.
There are hamburger dives in the area that cook up unusual (to me) toppings such as mac n cheese, etc.

My dumb self just remembered that I love pickled herring in cream sauce with dark rye bread. So, yeah, I like pickled fish.
I did some work with a vendor to the company I worked for who was in Copenhagen. I loved all the delicious fish pickled in various ways. Wonderful with a modest bit of Aquavit.

We have home made chips here courtesy of my wife.
Having said that, I do like the skinny American style fries in the usual famous place : )

The pickles they put in - I love them ! They add to the burger experience for me.
Funny, we never buy pickles for home food. My wife doesn't like them and I'm always hovering around the tools aisle in the supermarket so I don't shop anyway, she takes far too long : )

They are "gerkins " btw, that's what they call them here ( in England)in USA outlets.

I am quite a picky eater, so I prefer my burgers simple. I don't like most sauces, so I skip that (some good quality bernaise is fine). Salad, patty, cheese (as long as it's not fake/american), maybe cucumbers (though I would prefer to be without). I don't have as strong a distaste for pickles as some, but the taste is still overpowering and the texture is really gross so I'll have to mark myself down as a no (though they are not used on burgers where I live for the most part). I don't like tomatoes or onions either and prefer it if the patty doesn't get too wet.

As you can see from my list, there are very few places I can order a burger from without special requirements so most of the time I'm out I prefer getting something else since I dislike having to ask my order to be changed (and sometimes it isn't implemented anyways). Home-cooked burgers are fine though.

(I like parantheses).

@Mary Terry Quite a few of my irl friends are Polish or Ukrainian. I like some of their traditional foods but the pickled fish, and golabki nauseated me just from the smell, lol
But kielbasa, pierogi and bigos are some of my favorite foods overall. I actually made bigos a few weeks ago, and Hungarian beef stew (marhaporkolt) the following week.

My favorite things to put on a burger are fried eggs, bacon, jalapenos, pepper jack cheese, and onions. But I'll eat pretty much anything on a burger, including pickles, although I prefer the sweet "bread and butter" kind. This grosses everyone out but I will eat those straight out of the jar. I literally just finished a jar of them yesterday :sweatsmile:
I have weird and kind of brave taste in foods lol, people often point that out about me...

I think fast food burgers are repulsive, by the way. The only ones I can manage at all are from Wendy's but they still make me sick to my stomach.

They are "gerkins " btw, that's what they call them here...
That's what we used to call them here too. So much of our language has changed since the 90s.

They used to be called Gherkins.
It used to be called Peanut Paste.
It used to be called Tomato Sauce.

I did some work with a vendor to the company I worked for who was in Copenhagen. I loved all the delicious fish pickled in various ways. Wonderful with a modest bit of Aquavit.

I'd love it! I wonder if my Nordic/Germanic genes are programmed to like pickled foods. And Aquavit!

Now that I think about it, isn't ceviche just raw seafood "pickled" with lemon or lime juice?

@Mary Terry Quite a few of my irl friends are Polish or Ukrainian. I like some of their traditional foods but the pickled fish, and golabki nauseated me just from the smell, lol
But kielbasa, pierogi and bigos are some of my favorite foods overall. I actually made bigos a few weeks ago, and Hungarian beef stew (marhaporkolt) the following week.

My favorite things to put on a burger are fried eggs, bacon, jalapenos, pepper jack cheese, and onions. But I'll eat pretty much anything on a burger, including pickles, although I prefer the sweet "bread and butter" kind. This grosses everyone out but I will eat those straight out of the jar. I literally just finished a jar of them yesterday :sweatsmile:
I have weird and kind of brave taste in foods lol, people often point that out about me...

I think fast food burgers are repulsive, by the way. The only ones I can manage at all are from Wendy's but they still make me sick to my stomach.

I love all those eastern European foods. I've had bigos only a couple of times but I think it had sauerkraut and fresh cabbage in it so it tasted kind of sour, in a good way.

I make bread and butter pickles a lot and eat them straight from the jar, too. I like their sweet and sour taste.

Agreed that fast food burgers are gross. The only ones I'm willing to eat are children's Happy Meals from McDonalds because the burgers are very small. Just a couple of bites for an adult and a small handful of French fries. I order them when I'm starving and don't have time to eat a real meal somewhere. I don't like Chick-Fil-A, either. It's weird gray meat oozing salt and oil. I have no idea why people love that place. I doubt it's any healthier than a beef burger.

But I'll eat pretty much anything on a burger, including pickles, although I prefer the sweet "bread and butter" kind.
Absolutely! (Said like Sylvester Stallone...lol)

Always have a jar of bread and butter pickles for burgers. I'll eat just about any pickle on a burger, but I've always prefered the sweet bread and butter ones.

Last edited:
I'd love it! I wonder if my Nordic/Germanic genes are programmed to like pickled foods. And Aquavit!

Now that I think about it, isn't ceviche just raw seafood "pickled" with lemon or lime juice?
Yes it is. And, different countries have their own versions. Everything from the salsa foreward Ceviches of Mexico to the soupier tomato Ceviches of Ecuador, served with popcorn. I like them all. When in LaPaz, Baja Sur, I had some marvelous Ceviche. I like that town and do not need to get to Cabo, that chic spot for the wealthy (bleh!)

Australia has evolved a lot over my lifetime, so many little things have changed. Up until the 70s we were a very British society and that reflected in all the foods we ate at home and in takeaway shops. Fish and Chip shops were the most common and there were a few burger joints but no large franchises.

Pubs usually had a lounge and served meals like a restaurant and this was the fast food option that most people went for, nip over to the pub for lunch and have a nice roast beef with all the trimmings and a beer while you were at it. In the 70s pizza was a brand new thing and it really took off. Then came chinese and asian food shops, I was about 15 before the big US conglomerates moved in.

In the 80s what really took off bigger than the large chains was Roast Chicken shops, these ended up taking over from the old fashioned fish and chip shop. Good food that was cheap, and also you could have gravy on your chips. These are still one of our most common corner takeaways.

Australia has evolved a lot over my lifetime, so many little things have changed. Up until the 70s we were a very British society and that reflected in all the foods we ate at home and in takeaway shops. Fish and Chip shops were the most common and there were a few burger joints but no large franchises.

Pubs usually had a lounge and served meals like a restaurant and this was the fast food option that most people went for, nip over to the pub for lunch and have a nice roast beef with all the trimmings and a beer while you were at it. In the 70s pizza was a brand new thing and it really took off. Then came chinese and asian food shops, I was about 15 before the big US conglomerates moved in.

In the 80s what really took off bigger than the large chains was Roast Chicken shops, these ended up taking over from the old fashioned fish and chip shop. Good food that was cheap, and also you could have gravy on your chips. These are still one of our most common corner takeaways.
Sad. I think the franchises have done a lot to ruin local, good, food. Growing up in Detroit there was always fish on Fridays. There was one shop on 7 Mile Road, near Buddy's Pizza (but that's another story), where the line went down the block. Frequently I went with my father to pick up tempura battered Lake Perch or Walleye which were sweet and delicious.

Now, I live near the Port City Smokehouse in Frankfort, Michigan with their fresh fish and smoked delicacies like Lake Trout or Chub. I love to make smoked Lake Trout in a cream sauce with Penne. There are so many small places that the chains cannot even come close to in taste and quality.

New Threads

Top Bottom