• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

people lots of em

Otis

Does anyone else see a large group and kind of internally run. Yesterday I saw a group of about 30 guys I probably knew all of them,not deeply personally but from the community and extended surfing community.

I remember feeling glad I was heading into the market but inside was like very glad. Doesn't help I guess they were all having a few drinks. But the thought of being amongst them or passing through them kinda freaked me out.

As I have stated previously I'm new to this site and knew to trying to look past my surface coping which I believe it's not just skin surface but also a similar front in my mind. Called denial I guess. I'm basically knew to trying to really help and understand myself better.

I can, absolutely, relate to your experience. I experience the very same, from time to time. Sorry, for some reason I am unable to come up with a more useful response. Good on you for attempting to help and understand yourself. I have been working on the same.

Thanks Im not looking for a solution just looking to see if others experience similar things. Its all written down online in descriptions of course but nothing like true experiences to be real. Im fine excepting it weathers its from being on spec or not I'm not interested in being amongst them thats cool I just guess I feel like am I the only one in town who feels this way I know this not be true but is nice to hear its not. I do wonder where it is seeded from is it insecurity cause I did feel small looking at this crowd. It can effect confidence I guess Im happy not being apart of it ever is weird cause I feel i shouldn't if i was heading towards I wouldn't shy away. But i would hate passing through all of that.

Last edited:
If i saw 30 people I knew my first thought would be HOW can I disappear without being noticed! Even 5 people would be alot. One or two at a time is best.
I dont know 30 people, so maybe my first thought would be I must be in heaven or hell because this is a supernatural gathering of people from vast areas of time and space.

It is not likely that I would be anywhere and see 30 people that I know in one place.
That is a fantasy situation.
====
An ideal number of people for me to be around is
3, maximum. Sometimes that's stretching it.

Two is generally preferable.

For me, it kind of depends on where I am or what I am doing.

At work, with a large classroom of students, I am fine (even during orientation week when I don't yet know most of them) giving a lecture or demonstration, talking to them individually, instructing.

When I get home it is hard for me to go out and get the mail. There are times when I start for the mailbox and I hear a car or see someone walking down the street and I turn around and walk back towards the house and wait for them to pass. I take my wife or grand-daughter with me when I go shopping or get a haircut, actually everywhere. I am ashamed to admit this but it is how I am. I get so overwhelmed it is almost like someone is screaming in my face.

I am so comfortable in the lab I guess because I do love the subject I teach and teaching. It is a lot of fun.

Strange, being in a classroom full of students is fun but meeting one person on the street is unbearable.

That happened to me once in college. At a distance I could see this rowdy crowd coming my way and thought that it might be a little tense just walking right through them. I thought about going another direction, but then just decided to stand my ground and kept moving towards them.

Then as they got much closer I realized that the entire group was from my floor in my college dorm. I knew all of them by name. :p

Last edited:
Yes, if I came across a large group of people like that, It would make me feel uncomfortable, closed in and claustrophobic - I certainly don't like to be in the middle of them and when they are all looking at me. Not so bad if I'm on the edge and can see an exit point.

If I see a large group of people, I as of right now LOSE my head. Not literally. But I'm working on it

For me, it kind of depends on where I am or what I am doing.

At work, with a large classroom of students, I am fine (even during orientation week when I don't yet know most of them) giving a lecture or demonstration, talking to them individually, instructing.

When I get home it is hard for me to go out and get the mail. There are times when I start for the mailbox and I hear a car or see someone walking down the street and I turn around and walk back towards the house and wait for them to pass. I take my wife or grand-daughter with me when I go shopping or get a haircut, actually everywhere. I am ashamed to admit this but it is how I am. I get so overwhelmed it is almost like someone is screaming in my face.

I am so comfortable in the lab I guess because I do love the subject I teach and teaching. It is a lot of fun.

Strange, being in a classroom full of students is fun but meeting one person on the street is unbearable.
I can relate to this.
I've been an instructor and a model when I was younger.
As long as it was the classroom of students I enjoyed teaching and up on the catwalk with a crowd
looking on didn't bother me.
But, I can so relate to the being outside or getting the mail and turn back or look away pretending to be
doing something to keep from having to confront a person. It is just uncomfortable.

There is another Aspie woman, married, that lives two houses down the street.
I don't know her personally, she is the same.
She comes out to walk her dog or get the mail and if someone is outside she will turn away or just
not look. Everyone thinks she is not friendly, but, they don't understand.

Sounds like one of my family reunions if 3/4 of the family were not there haha. My family is HUGE and loud. I spent so much time outside, alone during them. It was all just too much.

I would turn and head the other direction, but if I ended up amongst them I would eventually find a place to hide. Recent funerals with lots of family I kind of stay hidden best I can, but I did notice something about myself in smaller groups. I have some cousins who I don't mind being around and had plenty of (pre-planned) funny stories about myself to tell and they always laugh and say how I'm their favorite cousin. But I noticed when I'm in a group of serious people (aunts, uncles and some cousins) I shrink back into the cushions and freeze. If I can't be funny, I have no idea how to be.

New Threads

Top Bottom