• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Numbers

square_peg

This is my first time starting a topic so forgive me if it's in the wrong place...

I have a kind of a fascination with numbers.. Like I'm always fascinated and excited when the odometer in my car clocks over to what I think is a cool number (like 90000 kms - lots of zeroes. I like that).

I like to have the tv volume on even numbers only.

I don't like odd numbers except the the number 5 - because 5 is half way between the nearest 10 and that seems neat to me.

When I take paper towel to wipe my hands, I always take an even number of pieces; even if I only need 1, I'll take 2 (wasteful I know).

Anyone else have a similar experience with numbers?

While I have an interest for numbers in general, I don't really have any preference to which numbers I like more.

Perhaps my interest in numbers has more to do with what you can do with them. I'm no math genius by any stretch, but math and such do interest me (I don't do anything with it though; I'm fine just adding up groceries for the day, lol). As do dates.

Can't say I have any preference over even versus odd numbers. Except in the 70s when your license plate dictated when you could buy gasoline because of the Arab Oil Embargo. Although I do like expressing things in percentages when they can be accurately quantified. (Likely the result of too many years working in insurance.)

However I struggled for many years over the esthetics of asymmetry. I've just taken for granted that it is somehow relative to my OCD.

Yes. And I had a couple of hours of meeting with auditors at work today and was nearly in a state of euphoria. We even got to discuss the merits of (beta on inputs to) applying black-scholes option pricing to certain valuations and many other great topics. And lots of numbers.

I do have a thing for numbers, but also for rhythm. I remember phone numbers very well, and license plates for some reason. I always notice certain mile markers when I travel (quite frequently), and patterns in numbers for sure.
The rhythm thing has to do with your two paper towel example. Evens seem complete to me, where as odds seem to fall one short. That is why I strive for even numbers.

I have a mixture of Aspie and OCD stuff. I only like odd numbers except for 2, 10, and 100. My father, son, and paternal grandmother have the same traits. OCD traits and autism are often comorbid.

I have researched OCD extensively, and believe it is caused by unstable blood sugar, particularly reactive hypoglycemia (different from regular hypoglycemia).

If you decide it's an impediment, you could consider taking high dose vitamin B8, which stabilizes blood sugar. It also appears to stabilize oxytocin, which increases ability to read social cues. I love biochem:).

I have a mixture of Aspie and OCD stuff. I only like odd numbers except for 2, 10, and 100. My father, son, and paternal grandmother have the same traits. OCD traits and autism are often comorbid.

I have researched OCD extensively, and believe it is caused by unstable blood sugar, particularly reactive hypoglycemia (different from regular hypoglycemia).

If you decide it's an impediment, you could consider taking high dose vitamin B8, which stabilizes blood sugar. It also appears to stabilize oxytocin, which increases ability to read social cues. I love biochem:).

Fascinating, Atay. I didn't realise OCD and blood sugar were linked.

I often have problems with blood sugar.. Very interesting. I will do some reading on this topic :D

Will also do some reading on Vit B8.. Many thanks for the information!

Gosh I love this Forum :)

This is my first time starting a topic so forgive me if it's in the wrong place...

I have a kind of a fascination with numbers.. Like I'm always fascinated and excited when the odometer in my car clocks over to what I think is a cool number (like 90000 kms - lots of zeroes. I like that).

I like to have the tv volume on even numbers only.

I don't like odd numbers except the the number 5 - because 5 is half way between the nearest 10 and that seems neat to me.

When I take paper towel to wipe my hands, I always take an even number of pieces; even if I only need 1, I'll take 2 (wasteful I know).

I get enjoyment from pressing a 999 to 1000 on social media, but i also keep seeing triple numbers everywhere like 333, 111 444... I've been told it means something good. Aside from this i feel more comfortable being an odd number in age. 29 feels better than 28, 47 feel better than 46, i know its silly but thats how i feel

New Threads

Top Bottom