• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Newly diagnosed as adult

dbltall

Hi!

I have recently been diagnosed as high functioning Aspie with ADD inattentive. I'm not sure what all the labels mean, but I now have an explanation for a lot of things about my life ; ). I've always had trouble making friends and getting along in social situations. I did well in school if I was interested in the subject but had trouble doing repetitive or pointless work. Work has been a varied panoply of failures. I have tried lots of different kinds of jobs and just could not succeed in what was required. I tend to just go ahead and do whatever is needed without navigating the politics and personalities.
I am now working for myself from home, which my doctor thinks is better for me than an office job. I do most interaction through email which is easier for me. I have learned how to do social interaction in person with clients reasonably well, and am dealing mainly with creative or techie clients who are tolerant of differences. I actually don't mind individual one-on-one interaction a few times a week with people who are understanding. It was 8 hours a day of coworkers, bosses, and the general public I couldn't manage.

I have been married to a wonderful NT for 25 years who has always been accepting of my differences, even without a diagnosis. He is quiet and shy and doesn't like tons of social stuff either. We have 3 kids, one NT, one ADHD, one mild ADD. Our house is ...interesting ; )

I am on Wellbutrin for the ADD and some depression, which will be better now that I have an explanation for why things weren't working out for me other than that I just suck ; ) Ritalin and Adderall both made me worse, so I am wondering how much is ADD inattentive and how much is Aspie. There seems to be some overlap in the symptoms.

I would like to make a friend or two to talk to over coffee about how this works without the effort of consciously imitating accepted social protocol. (Remember to look at their eyes and smile...)

New Threads

Top Bottom