• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My reward system is backwards

zaphod

This has been going on for years and it is getting worse.

When I'm at work, if I'm doing what I'm supposed to, I've been feeling incredible anxiety, bordering on panic. It kicks in almost immediately. My relief is falling back to a special interest. I work almost completely independently, open internet access so it's really easy. The anxiety disappears when I'm just wasting my time on that. The work itself isn't particularly stressful, I'm well suited for it and do a good job when I'm actually working.

There are days when I literally do nothing productive. I have no idea how I get away with it. I should have been fired long ago.

I can recognize that external stresses make this worse, and there's a snowball effect from feeling I could be fired at any moment.

How many people here experience something similar? Is this kind of thing more related to ASD or ADHD? Does anyone have a solution? ADHD drugs do not help me.

It could be ASD. Though it could also be possibly an anxiety disorder. I personally would check out anxiety disorders. If you can't find anything that matches, then think what specific things could be setting you off. Sometimes we run across something that triggers us and we don't realize that it is.

Intense anxiety frequently co occurs in people who are on the spectrum. Your issue is definitely worth thinking of from this angle and there are many concrete things that can be done about anxiety (breathing, journaling, talking, exercise, medication, etc.).

Might be some variation on the Demand Avoidance theme.

whenever I got bored at work I would go for a walk let my mind wander examine the process in my mind look for weakness's, put a mind experiment together to fix the weakness the try as much as possible to conduct the experiment, or at least get the supplier base to help me conduct it. the first time I had an anxiety issue was just after I left the hospital after the stroke, was never an issue before, but my changed circumstances brought it on. I normally have extreme confidence.

New Threads

Top Bottom