• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mother daughter connection issues

ilovetochat87

My mom does this thing all the time where she doesn't listen. she gets a whiny attitude when it turns out that I don't like the way she's being fake with me and it doesn't make any sense. Now she's the one that spent seven years trying to help me convince the government that I did have a disability and was worthy of what they had to offer even though they tried to tell me it was too high functioning she's the one that took out time from work that she didn't even earn yet to take me all my testings and yada yada she's the only one that really understands me because she's been there she seen it she seen the test results and she talked to the doctors my sister has a somewhat understanding and my dad just doesn't because he wasn't there helping me like she was it was just easier for her.

I'm telling you she has self diagnosed herself reading a book that has a test in it and now she think she's got adult ADD which I agree with . My grandma had ADD and sleep apnea and arthritis and she had a bunch of things so I'm not surprised that my mom thinks she's got ADD but I agree with her.

what she does is she sits on the phone and doesn't listen to a thing I say and when I say mom did you hear what I ask you she says yes Lara I'm not doing this with you keep going I heard you! I say well if you heard me thenwhat's the answer because I asked you three times and she gets all pissed that I am having an attitude and she says are your friends over there ?! And I'm like excuse me what kind of question is that that's disrespectful why does that even matter? And she says they are aren't they!? I guarantee your friends are there and you're just treating your mom like a piece of S*** to show off for them ! And I say that is disrespectful and I'm not gonna take that from you and she says don't you talk to your mother like that put your friend on the phone now and I save mom the only way I would have anybodyhere is if you thought there was somebody imaginary there is an a so here and then she throws out now you think that I am schizophrenic do ya?! And I say no I'm just saying there's nobody hereI could take a videoif you want me to and send it to you and then she says you better knock off that attitude immediately only I'm not gonna take this BS from you you better knock yourself down. and I say mom all I did was ask you a stupid question and you're throwing a fit and she saidwhatever goodbye you little blank and she won't talk to me for days.
I think one time she didn't speak to me for seven days straight and she blocked me on social media she blocked me on the phonesheblocked me from being able to sing emails to herand she wouldn't communicate with me for seven days and I talk to my sister about it and she said mom doesn't want to speak to you soyou need to respect that and she wouldn't answer my questions eitherand I'm like well if mom doesn't answer me then fine how about you answer my question and she's like I'm gonna leave that to mom and if mom doesn't want to answer that then you have to wait and I'm like really you're not even gonna help me and she's like well I'm not gonna get into this problem between you and mom and I'm like look I don't have a way to drive I don't have a way to get money at the bank I need mom to give me money because I don't have any food and without my debit card being refilled I don't have any way to get groceries! I need mom to give me money for my bank account and that's all I want and she says okay okay I will talk to mom and I'm like I just don't know what her problem is and she says we're not gonna go there I've already told you that I will get your money but we're leaving that part alone.

I've offered my mom to take atherapy class with me, just her and me and we talk about each other and we do it from our perspective andthe lady can say this is what I think is going on from both of you together and individually and then we can learn to talk better and not assume that each other is the enemy. But she won't and I don't understand it and so therefore sometimes I do lash out at her even when she's not doing that to me.

I think sometimes she does condescend me. There are times when my mom and I are doing girl stuff having mom and daughter time and we're just shopping and she leans over to give me a hug and tell me I'm the best daughter ever and she waves her hand in front of her face and says "woo-wee Lara!!! DAAAMMN GURL!!! YOUR BREATH STAANK!" I'm like really mom?! That's offensive and she's like hey I'm only telling you because I'm your mom and I'm caring for you! you rather me tell you then some stranger or your friends or a boyfriend or something and I'm like yeah I would but you're very disrespectful the way you do it and she's like I'm so sick and tired of how you always treat me like I'm a piece of sh**!!! And she threatens to take me home and never do this again and we go into an argument and we start screaming at each other and I go crying because I'm overwhelmed and overstimulated and she's all pissed because I'm throwing a fit and I'm not throwing a fit I'm just getting overstimulated and I need her to calm down and quit assuming I'm the bad guy and she says I don't assume you the bad guy you assume me the bad guy! and I tell her if she didn't talk to me in a condescending tone all the time I wouldn't assume her the bad guy because I wouldn't assume she's doing that to me and she said okay you're right I'm sorry and I say thank you I appreciate that I'm not five and I'm not somebody to make fun of either and she says okay Lara I got it! I'm sorry. 90% of the time we do great but there are those moments andwe've had them for years.

and I don't know why she doesn't understandthat that bothers me that she talks to me badly or that shedoesn't listen to meand then get an attitude when I bring it up. I don't understand itand I keep telling her I think it's because of her ADD that she behaves this way because people with ADD can have trouble with paying attention and focusing but they also have trouble with their attitude sometimesand she just gets on my face and doesn't want me to start throwing things at hertrying to cause a fight for no reasonI don't we just drop it and I'm like okayI would love that. I wish there was a way to get through to her when she doesn't listen to meand when I ask why she's not listening she says what? I was listening I heard the whole thingand then I ask her to repeat what I said and she goes I'm not gonna do thatI heard you keep going and I say if you heard me then you would've answered me because I asked a questionand I'm not trying to be mean to her but how can I approach herbring that up without causing her to get defensive? And how can I talk to her without her starting a fight with me?

I think your idea of the therapy class together was probably what could have helped you two best, too bad she has turned that down.
I kind of understand why your sister wouldn't want to get into something that's between the two of you, but at the same time, she should be able to see the difference between taking sides (which she should keep on trying not to do), and helping out on practical things.
Regarding your mother's ADD, is she planning on doing anything about it? Because the label is nice, and if the shoe fits, she should wear it, but if it has an impact on her life and the life of her family, she should consider reigning it in. I'm not saying she needs to be medicated, but there must be something she can do about it so that it doesn't affect you all to this extent.
At the moment, it seems she is irritated and will not take kindly to the things you suggest. Is there any way you could convince your sister to talk your mother into finding some therapy class, or anything that will help her be more focused, less irritated, so that you are able to bring up the joint therapy issue again?

The therapy thing sounds like it could be really good for the both of you, especially if your mum has ADD. Has she sought any help for this? If not, she might need to if it is impacting her life. I hope that your mother might start listening, if not, I honestly don't know how to help. Perhaps have someone else talk to her? A relative or something?

New Threads

Top Bottom