• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Lying and gaslighting

I am trying to be supportive of his diagnosis but I do experience his behaviour frequently as abusive. Have I got it wrong or am I simply being naïve and letting him get away with manipulating the situation?
If it's narcissism, he could genuinely not see how he could be manipulating the situation. Also, this could just be his personality and not his autism. At least you know what gaslighting is and can identify when he's deflecting.

Trying to currently understand where the boundary sits between which behaviours relate to ND and which are just unpleasant unacceptable (chosen) behaviours that as an adult should be acknowledged as such and accountability taken.
Good luck. It's not exactly the easiest topic to research. Here's an article from Neuroclastic that I found helpful:

Why Your Asperger’s-Neurotypical Relationship Is Failing

(Now, it says it's part of a two-part series, but I have yet to find the second part.)

Probably a somewhat pointless exercise as without his recognition and buy in nothing will change.
You and I are rowing the same boat.

Essentially trying to work through my self doubt and make sure I’m not being unfair or incorrectly judging the behaviours/my experience especially as there is a diagnosis.
Again thank you all for your shared thoughts and insights here.
K
Well, you're not narcissistic! I'm sorry to hear you've been having such a tough time of it. I'm sure you really care so much about him, having been together for so long. It makes deciding what to do difficult, as there is this sense of loyalty and commitment that the years have made so relevant.

New Threads

Top Bottom