• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

It's Official.

Ste11aeres

It's official. I can't do any kind of cooking that involves boiling.
I've long had a tendency to forget, when I had food cooking, that the food was cooking. However, I'd thought that I was getting over that bad tendency...
So I had some eggs (even though I don't like them very much) that needed to be used up. I decided to hardboil them. I put them on the stove, added water, and set the alarm on my cellphone to ring at about the time I shoudl check on them and turn the water off. However many minutes later...the alarm on my cellphone goes off. I think "Oh, that means I have to go check the eggs." (I remember thinking this. But not in words, since I don't think that type of thing in words.) And then, the thing I was working on intruded itself into my mind, and the thought of checking on the eggs exited my mind. About half an hour or so later, I went into the kitchen for other reasons and found the pot of eggs still boiling. I was grateful that I had gone into the kitchen at all before leaving for work, and had therefore found and turned off the eggs.

A few days later. I came home in the dark evening and there was a horrible smell. It reminded me of dirty diapers (but worse) and I could tell that it was some kind of food, some kind of meat. I thought "What on earth was my landlady cooking?" (I live in the same house with the owners of the house.) I went to my room. Coming down in a few moments I discovered a pot in which I had left chicken to boil in water. Someone had found it and turned it off. All the water had boiled up, the pot was dry with a few dark stains on the bottom, with the chicken in some super-cooked state lying on the bottom, and the source of the weird smell could not be denied.

You're not alone Ste11...my cousin had a similar experience. Left an entire house smelling like burned eggs.

I suspect it's the sort of experience that leaves such an impression that it's not likely to happen again.

Hmmmm, similar things happen to me. I dont seem to be able to get thru the week without some sort if monumental stuff up. I am so flighty, in regards to my thought patterns, I usually forget something really important. My mind races and almost over excites itself, when im multi tasking. Cooking ,or the carbonation of pots, as my wife puts its, is one of my biggest problem area's. I just dont seem to be able to set myself up for a win. There could be flames pouring out the kitchen window, but if the TV is on and distracts me, any connection to that event is severed. It devastates me everytime, things like this happens and my wife thinks its a matter of choice. So Stella move over, between you eggs and chicken, and my rice and pasta, we 've got a meal made for --ummmm, anything but eating.

Last edited:
Lol, I'm guilty of having done this a few times...I have to stay in the kitchen now when boiling, which is boring, but means I won't burn the house down, and am able to eat food that isn't charred, haha :p

Last edited:
I'm very absent minded but I'm usually pretty good when it comes to keeping an eye on the cooking.

There's a reason I don't leave the kitchen when cooking. I just know it'll get burnt when I don't keep an eye on it.

I must add however, I rarely cook something that takes forever to cook, so that negates the entire "but I don't want to stand around in the kitchen for 30 minutes" issue.

It's funny though; I can never understand how my mom does it. She goes to cook dinner and just sits in the living room when it's all on the fire waiting to be cooked properly. She gets up every once in a while to look after it. The thing however is; while she's in the living room she's watching tv. It would drive me nuts to watch a program in 5 minute bursts and just coming back and picking up wherever the program is going at that time (since it's nothing recorded, she just gets up in the middle of something and sit down in the middle of something else). I don't even think she cares what she's watching, as long as there are moving images and some kind of underlying drama on tv. If I were to watch tv I'd forget dinner because I'd be focused on what I'm watching... makes me wonder about other things people do unrelated to cooking (but their televisionprogramme viewing experiences in general for example)

New Threads

Top Bottom