• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

It took almost 30 yrs to say the words "He's not my real Dad"

Undiagnosed

When I was a kid I only understood Everything to be Literal. When I took my doll to show and tell in Kindgergarden and the teacheer asked me about the ink marks on the dolls face I told her my sisters did it. She said "well, there just little monkeys arn't they"... I looked at her seroius and puzzles wondering why she had called my twin little sisters monkeys. "No there people" I corrected her, still really wondering why she called them monkeys. I pictured her as thinnking my sisterw were monkeys and really thought that was a strange thought for her to have.

My moom was cleaning the floor under the kitchen table and said "O it's muddy under ther from where the guys were playing cards last night." I looked under the table puzzles and asked " Why were they playing cards under the table?" Sounds funny now but I was seriousley lost in this world.

When I was seven I remember my mom haveing a unusual talk with me. I remember the way she put it .... "Your Daddy is your Daddy but he is not the one who got me pregnant for you, there was another man who got me pregnant for you". That's all I can remember but The way I only knew how to take things exactly the way they were said I never converted that message into meaning that my Dad wasn't my real Dad becouse that wasn't the way it was said to me. She said "your Dad is you Dad" .... Just like if she had said "the guys feet were under the table when they were playing cards" I would have gotten a whole different meanning,,,, or,,,, if my teacher would have said "Mabey monkeys would do something like writing on a baby doll" instead of saying "they arre monkeys" I would have understood it differentley.

So anyway I rmemeber all the years I was growing up I always thought of it like my dad was my real Dad . I remember the first time I ever said "He's not my real Dad" I was 29 years old and it fealt weird to even say those words.

Surley this is at least in part an Aspie thing? what do u think? Have u been like this with takeing everything litteraly?

This is my first post here, so I want to start with hello.

This reminds me so much of my son. It is hard for him as he as well takes everything the way it is said not the way it is meant. Our most recent was at the dr he had to go get his foot checked as he fell off his scooter. She said to him oh your so lucky you got to miss the first day back to school. He says no this is not the first day back. She says yes it is, his response was well I am still in the 3rd grade so this is not the 1st day of school. Then the dr says ok well the 1st day back for the 2nd semester then, he looked confused so I said It was the 1st day back after the holiday break Jake. He smiles and say oh ok I get it.

This happens to him so much and it pains me, as his mom. I see people getting frustrated and annoyed with his questions as they think why dont you get it. I wish everyone would stop and understand not everyone thinks alike and it only takes a few to stop and think of another way of thinking.

This is my first post here, so I want to start with hello.

This reminds me so much of my son. It is hard for him as he as well takes everything the way it is said not the way it is meant. Our most recent was at the dr he had to go get his foot checked as he fell off his scooter. She said to him oh your so lucky you got to miss the first day back to school. He says no this is not the first day back. She says yes it is, his response was well I am still in the 3rd grade so this is not the 1st day of school. Then the dr says ok well the 1st day back for the 2nd semester then, he looked confused so I said It was the 1st day back after the holiday break Jake. He smiles and say oh ok I get it.

This happens to him so much and it pains me, as his mom. I see people getting frustrated and annoyed with his questions as they think why dont you get it. I wish everyone would stop and understand not everyone thinks alike and it only takes a few to stop and think of another way of thinking.

Hi Debym....and welcome.... I am fairley new here myself....
Yea I get what you are saying...I guess I have another angle to add t o that....I am 44 and was never diagnosed with anything and just recently learned about Asperger's and realized it's what I have. My son is 13 and I now see that he has it. So it's good that you understand where your son is acomeing from. I just grew up thinking something was 'wrong' with me.

New Threads

Top Bottom