• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Information Technology Certifications

As someone who is unable to land work in the IT field of any sort. Internships, Entry level, and other job openings are now requiring different certifications (obviously depending on the job).

The problem is, you need to be employed to get most industry certifications, since it is in part based on work hours.

They are also quite expensive.

:(

The problem is, you need to be employed to get most industry certifications, since it is in part based on work hours.

They are also quite expensive.

I don't know about the others, but CompTIA certs (like A+ and Network+) don't, in themselves, require work hours. The content you learn in preparation for the exam(s) is equivalent to what you might have learned by working a certain amount of time in an entry level job, but that work time is not required in order to get the certification.

So for example, you could work 9-12 months in an entry-level IT support job, or you can take a class or do self-study in preparation for the A+ exams, and either way you'll learn about the same level of content (although, in my experience, if you worked that year and then want to sit for the exams, you still need to study for the exams because working doesn't give you quite the same breadth of exposure). So CompTIA asserts that someone who has passed both A+ exams has about the same level of expertise as someone who has worked a year in an entry-level IT support position, even if the person only spent 2 or 3 months studying really hard.

And yes, the exams can be very pricey. However, some schools include an exam voucher when you pay for their exam prep class.

I don't know about the others, but CompTIA certs (like A+ and Network+) don't, in themselves, require work hours. The content you learn in preparation for the exam(s) is equivalent to what you might have learned by working a certain amount of time in an entry level job, but that work time is not required in order to get the certification.

So for example, you could work 9-12 months in an entry-level IT support job, or you can take a class or do self-study in preparation for the A+ exams, and either way you'll learn about the same level of content (although, in my experience, if you worked that year and then want to sit for the exams, you still need to study for the exams because working doesn't give you quite the same breadth of exposure). So CompTIA asserts that someone who has passed both A+ exams has about the same level of expertise as someone who has worked a year in an entry-level IT support position, even if the person only spent 2 or 3 months studying really hard.

And yes, the exams can be very pricey. However, some schools include an exam voucher when you pay for their exam prep class.
In my case it was those including project management certification and others of that nature, that require X amount of hours employed doing said kind of work.
I've heard from others, that many code based and hardware certifications require X amount of hours logged as well in actually IT positions.

My course involves quite a lot of hands-on experience, and my teacher has a lot of recruiters on speed-dial. I got turned down for a job recently in favor of someone* who has the exact certifications and qualifications as me except she has A+ and I do not. The certs on your résumé do hold weight.

(*And no, there is no bad blood between us. We are actually friends, and frankly, I don't envy him/her.)

New Threads

Top Bottom