• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I was bullied because of autism... now I?m a teen beauty queen

Pedro

I was bullied because of autism... now I?m a teen beauty queen

TALK of beauty queens usually calls up images of glossy-haired Barbie doll lookalikes.
But pageant contestant Rebecca Attridge was among the brave young women smashing that stereotype by celebrating their differences at the Miss Teen Queen UK contest last week.

Rebecca, 18, has Asperger's Syndrome, a form of autism, which means she finds it hard to relate to others.

She was tormented by bullies at school and could have withdrawn from society, as many Asperger's sufferers do.

Instead, Rebecca took centre stage at the pageant final last Friday in front of judges including Elen Rives, ex-fianc?e of England footballer Frank Lampard.

Rebecca said: "I entered the contest to show that people like me can do things like this.

"I wish the bullies could see me now! I loved every minute.

"Yes, I have Asperger's but that doesn't mean I have to shut myself away. I was thrilled to take part."

Rebecca beamed as she strode down the catwalk watched by a 200-strong audience at Alexandra Palace, North London.

It was an achievement she never imagined possible after being diagnosed with Asperger's at 13.

Rebecca, from Farnborough, Hants, said: "I was always an odd child. Apparently, when I was four I asked my teacher if she thought our government was corrupt! At school I was called weird and other names.

"I couldn't relate to other girls because of my condition. I just wasn't like them. They would look at a boy and say 'Oh, he's hot!' and I wouldn't understand what they meant.

"I was at a private all-girls school which made things worse. I was very badly bullied. I couldn't connect, I didn't have any friends and spent most weekends on my own.

"My mum realised there was something wrong but she told me, 'Focus on your studies'. So I did. I even studied Japanese!"

Jealousy over Rebecca's looks made the bullying worse. The modest teen says: "I suppose it didn't help. But I don't really know what defines prettiness because of my condition.

"I only entered the contest because I literally bumped into a Miss Teen UK exhibition stand at a performing arts exhibition. The organisers asked me to enter, so I did. I couldn't believe I made the finals."

Rebecca, who plans to go to a performing arts college, told the organisers about her condition but they insisted it wasn't a problem.

Pageant director Lina Perrini said: "This contest is for everyone, all shapes and sizes and types. We have 12 categories and the age group is from 13 to 19. We aim to show all girls can be beautiful. You don't have to be size zero and have fake hair, fake nails and fake tan.

"This contest gives every girl the chance to feel beautiful."

Rebecca admits she was nervous about how she would get on with the other contestants.

She said: "I thought they would be like the stereotype of beauty contest entrants ? stick thin and bitchy. But they have been lovely. Everyone has been so helpful and friendly."

Rebecca's proud mum and gran were there to see her pageant debut last week. And while she didn't win any of the titles, which include Miss Fresh Faced and Miss Photogenic, they couldn't have been prouder.

She said: "They are thrilled for me. They've seen me suffer over the years so to see me do something like this is just great for them.

"Most people with my condition think something like this is out of their reach. But I have managed it.

"It shows it doesn't matter who or what you are, you can do what you want."

Another pageant contestant defying stereotypes was Charlotte Allchorne.

Charlotte, 19, from Reading, Berks, said: "I am plus size, but I don't care. I have had to help some friends get through anorexia and know how horrific that is.

"There is too much pressure for girls to be thin. It's the message you get all the time, that thin equals beautiful, but it doesn't.

"I love my curves. I was scouted by someone from Miss Teen UK and was delighted to get to the final. It's great that they weren't just looking for skinny, WAG-type girls.

"The fact that girls like me are in this contest is giving out a positive message. Being confident and happy is what matters."

Scarlett Saunders, 15, took part in the contest to give hope to parents of sick children.

At the age of nine Scarlett, from Benfleet, Essex, was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukaemia. At one point she was given just 24 hours to live ? but battled back.

She spent six months in Great Ormond Street Hospital, where mum Becky slept in a bed at her side every night.

On Friday Becky sobbed as Scarlett took the Miss Charity Queen title, in honour of her fundraising efforts.

She was also runner-up in the junior Miss Teenage Princess category. Becky, 36, said: "To see her up there knowing how close she came to death, I can't believe it.

"When Scarlett was in hospital I had to go to funerals of children who were on her ward. Her odds for beating it were very low, but she never gave up. She said to me, 'Mum, I'm going to get better' ? and she did."

Scarlett has since raised more than ?7,000 for Great Ormond Street and ?1,000 for Cancer Research. And she collected ?1,000 for the pageant's nominated charity, the Make A Difference Foundation. Every contestant had to raise money for the foundation to enter.

Becky said: "Scarlett visits children on cancer wards and I've had parents and staff saying what an inspiration she is."

Wearing her pageant crown, Scarlett said: "I entered the contest because I wanted parents of very ill children to realise there is hope. It happened to my parents but here I am in a beauty contest!"

Scarlett, who wants to be a nurse, told how her waist-length hair fell out during her cancer treatment. She said: "It was a big thing for me but I knew it would grow back. As a result of the leukaemia I don't have as strong a heart as other teenagers, so I have to be careful.

But I'm positive about the future. I want to be a nurse, hopefully at Great Ormond Street Hospital.

"The nurses there were so wonderful to me, I'd like to give something back."

The winner of the Miss Teen Queen UK title was Samantha Laight, 17, from Grimsby, Lincs. Samantha said: "This contest isn't all about looks, it's more about personality.

"All the girls on the stage felt beautiful."

Original article: here

Such an inspiring story, not only about Rebecca but about the other girls too. Thanks Pedro for sharing.

New Threads

Top Bottom