• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I may had missed up gf's computer :(

GoofKing

All your bases are belong to us
So we were talking on Skype and she mention some problems. The conversation came to her not having an Antivirus program and how her brother is neglecting to update it.

I suggested this site Free Antivirus for Windows - Open source GPL virus scanner because I didn't want her to use some of the name brand anti-virus scanners that advertises "Freeware" and has a time limit or whatever.

Things got weird when it didn't save on her as a setup.exe file but some .zip file and it wanted to install some browser extension and Adobe. So I don't if I caused her to install malware on her machine or not and I may have doomed her machine :(

I forgotten a lot of things about Windows VISTA guys and my inept tech knowledge might've made it all worse. I was going to walk her through on how to prevent file sharing through Net BIOS ...

There are usually options to pick that allow you to tell the program not to install any extra software. Have to either go through each window carefully, or pick Custom Install - they sometimes like to hide them there.

Clamwin itself seems to be legit. Personally, I like to use Microsoft Security Essentials. Integrates well with Windows XP, Vista, and 7 and doesn't have all those ads and popups telling you to buy the full program. That said, everyone has their preferences and some of the third party stuff like AVG or Avast will still do the job.

There are usually options to pick that allow you to tell the program not to install any extra software. Have to either go through each window carefully, or pick Custom Install - they sometimes like to hide them there.

Clamwin itself seems to be legit. Personally, I like to use Microsoft Security Essentials. Integrates well with Windows XP, Vista, and 7 and doesn't have all those ads and popups telling you to buy the full program. That said, everyone has their preferences and some of the third party stuff like AVG or Avast will still do the job.

I don't use Windows much anymore, but I've grown disdain for Avast and AVG, because of how much they've turned into nag-ware. In the virtual machines I have of Windows (and my gaming partition), I generally put Microsoft Security Essentials on them to keep Windows from yelling at me about not having anything. I haven't used it on a full-time Windows machine (and I still question the wisdom of using AV software from a company that wrote operating systems in such a way that requires AV to begin with), but for the limited amount that I use them, it's worked for me. For the most part, the best defense is to be smart about your Internet usage -- don't just download and install things willy-nilly, don't just blindly click popups, pay attention to where emails come from, etc.

GoofKing, as for your girlfriend's computer, it sounds like it may have already been infected, and it's probably not your doing. A lot of viruses are smart enough to try to protect themselves from anti-virus programs, especially if one hasn't yet been installed (in this case, changing the exe to a non-executable extension).

The Adobe and toolbar thing are probably just bundle software that Clamwin offers as part of a deal to get some funding to be able to continue to offer a free product. Just pay attention at install and make sure to uncheck the extra software.

I recommend installing Malwarebytes Anti-malware (Mbam) to help remove anything that already exists. The free version suffices, and it doesn't really nag to upgrade (you just only get the reactive tools, instead of proactive). If you run into the same problem that you did with Clam, where it seems to download wonky or won't install, Malwarebytes has a "Chameleon" version that is supposed to be able to install on an infected computer. Ideally, you'll want to start Windows in safe mode (press and hold F8 as the computer starts booting into Windows and you should get an "advanced startup" screen, where you can select "Safe Mode with networking"), to limit what is running on the machine and allow Mbam to remove as much as possible. Let Mbam run a full, thorough scan and cleanup, then restart the computer, go back into safe mode and run it again to make sure it was able to get everything. Once you get the all clear from Mbam, restart the computer and boot into Windows as you normally would.

Once you're into Windows normally, remove the old anti-virus software (having two proactive anti-virus programs can cause more problems than it solves; you can leave Mbam, though, because it's reactive), and install whatever new title you want. Get it updated and let it do a scan to verify that you've cleaned up the computer. Clean up anything it finds. If it finds stuff, but can't clean them up, boot into Safe Mode again and run the AV again.

If it still can't clean everything up, then you should probably take it to someone who knows what they're doing to either manually root out the remains or completely wipe the machine and start over fresh. (If you want, I can walk you through the "start over fresh" route, should it come to that, it's actually pretty simple.)

In any case, I recommend backing up any data on the computer to an external location (and run a scan on that stuff, specifically, to ensure that it's not infected, so you don't infect anything else or re-infect your computer).

I don't use Windows much anymore, but I've grown disdain for Avast and AVG, because of how much they've turned into nag-ware. In the virtual machines I have of Windows (and my gaming partition), I generally put Microsoft Security Essentials on them to keep Windows from yelling at me about not having anything. I haven't used it on a full-time Windows machine (and I still question the wisdom of using AV software from a company that wrote operating systems in such a way that requires AV to begin with), but for the limited amount that I use them, it's worked for me. For the most part, the best defense is to be smart about your Internet usage -- don't just download and install things willy-nilly, don't just blindly click popups, pay attention to where emails come from, etc.

GoofKing, as for your girlfriend's computer, it sounds like it may have already been infected, and it's probably not your doing. A lot of viruses are smart enough to try to protect themselves from anti-virus programs, especially if one hasn't yet been installed (in this case, changing the exe to a non-executable extension).

The Adobe and toolbar thing are probably just bundle software that Clamwin offers as part of a deal to get some funding to be able to continue to offer a free product. Just pay attention at install and make sure to uncheck the extra software.

I recommend installing Malwarebytes Anti-malware (Mbam) to help remove anything that already exists. The free version suffices, and it doesn't really nag to upgrade (you just only get the reactive tools, instead of proactive). If you run into the same problem that you did with Clam, where it seems to download wonky or won't install, Malwarebytes has a "Chameleon" version that is supposed to be able to install on an infected computer. Ideally, you'll want to start Windows in safe mode (press and hold F8 as the computer starts booting into Windows and you should get an "advanced startup" screen, where you can select "Safe Mode with networking"), to limit what is running on the machine and allow Mbam to remove as much as possible. Let Mbam run a full, thorough scan and cleanup, then restart the computer, go back into safe mode and run it again to make sure it was able to get everything. Once you get the all clear from Mbam, restart the computer and boot into Windows as you normally would.

Once you're into Windows normally, remove the old anti-virus software (having two proactive anti-virus programs can cause more problems than it solves; you can leave Mbam, though, because it's reactive), and install whatever new title you want. Get it updated and let it do a scan to verify that you've cleaned up the computer. Clean up anything it finds. If it finds stuff, but can't clean them up, boot into Safe Mode again and run the AV again.

If it still can't clean everything up, then you should probably take it to someone who knows what they're doing to either manually root out the remains or completely wipe the machine and start over fresh. (If you want, I can walk you through the "start over fresh" route, should it come to that, it's actually pretty simple.)

In any case, I recommend backing up any data on the computer to an external location (and run a scan on that stuff, specifically, to ensure that it's not infected, so you don't infect anything else or re-infect your computer).

It doesn't matter anymore, I just had to look up songs using an old Google search trick and therefore don't have a lot of time left before I'm busted. I came across one of those black mail fake FBI government pages that has that annoying Java script that temporarily locks your browser, which I had to use system manager to kill it. You know the one, it wants you to send money or else everything is locked (which isn't for me because I'm running Linux) ... I did a back trace on the IP with the malware and think it might be a Russian music site riddled with malware, The Vineyard of the Saker: About Russian sites reported as malware and how to stay safe (and free!) ...

How long before they just turn my ass in because they realized that they can't harm my computer ?

Randsomware it's called ...

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom