• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I have a conundrum (crap!)

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
At a meeting earlier this week, a local antique picker gave me a tip on a local estate sale... He knows what I mostly collect (vintage photos), and suggested I might want to check it out

Problem... The first two days (Thursday and Friday) are 10 to 4 (ie. daytime) when of course I'm working! :rolleyes:

By the time Saturday morning comes around all the best stuff (ie. the stuff I collect) will likely be picked over and nothing good left, and I might add that I've never heard of an estate sale starting on Thursday

I'm almost tempted to ask to leave work early, except I just started a contract job and don't dare ask...

Mind you, I'm supposed to watch my spending right now, but how can I pass up what sounds like an awesome opportunity?

Ack!

Adulting sometimes does require sacrifice, and you will feel better about yourself in the long run if you prioritize your job.

I've had this happen, and sometimes it will bother me for months that I might have missed out on something. I have to tell myself, "if I'm meant to have it, it will still be there when I show up on Saturday." I've certainly had it happen many times that I showed up quite late and the item I was after was still there, and perhaps at a bargain price since the sale was nearly over. Another way of thinking is, if you don't have a job, you won't be able to buy anything at the sale, anyway.

Adulting sometimes does require sacrifice, and you will feel better about yourself in the long run if you prioritize your job.

I'll still be pissed off though if I miss out on something big... I'll probably never know what I missed out on by the time Saturday morning rolls around... But I do know you're right... :wink:

I would sneak out for a emergency lunch break or emergency car break, run to the store for meds to stay out of the bathroom. Basically telling a photo opp small storyline to leave for 25 mins. But l would ask up front what photos were for sale, mostly family or assortment?

I would sneak out for a emergency lunch break or emergency car break, run to the store for meds to stay out of the bathroom. Basically telling a photo opp small storyline to leave for 25 mins. But l would ask up front what photos were for sale, mostly family or assortment?

I've thought about it, but won't have the time to do that...

It turned out be a wild goose chase (of a sort), I did have a long enough lunch break at work on Friday to get there... I have a feeling my friend's reference was about some slider projectors they had (but not the actual slides though)

Although I did make a connection with a guy working at the house, he talked to me and told me that he has a personal collection of vintage photos he might be willing to part with... We have each others phone number, so maybe something might happen, but I've been in similar situations and won't hold my breath until something maybe happens...

Would you like my vintage collection? Mostly stuff my mother took of her family, and slides from her travels.

I wasn't thinking of slides; they can be really neat. I have a small collection myself, plus a bunch of home movies on 8 & 16mm. Once I found a Kodak Carousel half-filled with slides of a professional wrestling match from 1979. I listed them on eBay and made a handsome profit!

Oh, yeah, I've got a Carousel with several trays, an antique slide projector, and a big collection of 35 mm camera gear, plus other odds and ends. A few 2.25 sq slides from a twin-lens reflex, too.

Meantime... Dropped by our local flea market this afternoon, I purchased this photo album full of 1920's photos from a vendor I know well, $30 later, I think that was a great deal

Just about to dig into it further, the photo furthest to the right is quite good, and lots of information along with these ones, unlike most vintage albums I purchase

Old Photo 02.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom