• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I bought a bonsai tree

Southern Discomfort

Smarter than the Average Bear
V.I.P Member
Zelkova Parvifolia bonsai. Which is a Japanese elm, closely related to the Ulmus - the Chinese Elm. Zelkova does in fact also grow in China. I'm completely new to this and I've just given it some rain water. I'm keeping it indoors in my bedroom, it's getting early morning sunlight but it's out of direct sunlight but 10-11 am I'd say.

Apparently daily watering is needed but it shouldn't be over watered, but definitely not allowed to go dry. It looks like it was recently pruned.

Yeah, hopefully it's in a good enough place and I'm able to get a hang of this. I'm not very good at learning from things which aren't exact in their instruction so this should be a good exercise for me to gain a bit of confidence in going by instinct.

Anyone else here growing bonsai?

IMG_20170819_175143.jpg

I hope your grows up big and strong.

Strong? Yes.

Big? Not likely. After all, it's a Bonsai tree. ;) :D

My brother once had them a few years. He said it involved more work than one would think, but I never pressed him on the details. I just think they look quite nice.

It's beautiful SD, and I have no experience with bonsai whatsoever. Common sense tells me that a tiny japanese elm tree which gets lots of light, whose roots and trunk were wired to remain small will do well where you've placed it. Just like the Japanese to achieve beauty in small things.

Strong? Yes.

Big? Not likely. After all, it's a Bonsai tree. ;) :D

My brother once had them a few years. He said it involved more work than one would think, but I never pressed him on the details. I just think they look quite nice.
Good point Judge, I guess I was thinking bigger than it is now, not big as in gigantic.

Good point Judge, I guess I was thinking bigger than it is now, not big as in gigantic.

That's part of the charm of them, IMO. That they remain relatively "stunted" in their growth. :cool:

Also more practical as an organic decorator item that won't outgrow its surroundings.

Thanks guys.

These trees are supposed to be good for beginners. The leaflet I picked up at the garden centre says, "It's not as hard as you think!". So let's see!

Wonderful! Such a beautiful bonsai. I hope it thrives there! Please update from time to time, if you feel inclined. :)

I had one when I was about 12, because I used to get weird presents. I'm not great with plants that require a lot of time and effort (and I was 12), so yeah, it ended exactly as you'd expect.

IMG_3247.JPG
IMG_3248.JPG
@Southern Discomfort Hey that's great but I have to warn you, bonsai can be very addictive! Here is a picture of my two elms. They live outside all year round and are planted in akadama so I never have to worry about overwatering them. Is yours in soil? Watering with rain water is the right thing to do, if you don't have any during a dry period, leave the tap water in a bowl for 24 hours before using, but rain water is much better.
I put some more photos of my bonsais in the houseplant thread. Have you given a feeding schedule any thought? Good luck they are wonderful and so therapeutic.

Hey that's great but I have to warn you, bonsai can be very addictive! Here is a picture of my two elms. They live outside all year round and are planted in akadama so I never have to worry about overwatering them. Is yours in soil? Watering with rain water is the right thing to do, if you don't have any during a dry period, leave the tap water in a bowl for 24 hours before using, but rain water is much better.
I put some more photos of my bonsais in the houseplant thread. Have you given a feeding schedule any thought? Good luck they are wonderful and so therapeutic.

Wow, yours looks great! Yes, mine is in soil. I haven't got any feed schedule at the moment. I read that you should give it something every month (I think) because the soil lacks a lot of nutrients.

I'm thinking about buying a little watering can for it because naturally using a normal one makes it a little hard to determine if you've watered it enough.

It's been a little confusing about what I should and shouldn't do but I think I'm heading in the right direction. I'm not watering it daily, just until the soil starts to think about drying up. I know the worst thing you can go is let the soil dry up but I also know that over-watering is very bad too. Seems like a delicate balance. Thanks for the tip about leaving water in a bowl, I'll bear that one in mind.

As a big fan of the original Karate Kid trilogy, I wouldn't mind owning a Bonsai tree, I just don't think I'd have the time or patience to give it the care and looking after it would need.

@Southern Discomfort Thank you, and yes it will need feeding every month during the growing season. Apply sparingly though you won't kill a tree by underfeeding but it's very easy to kill them by over feeding especially in soil. Don't buy a watering can, buy a spray bottle or mister. As the soil drys the water will run off all over your floor if poured! Just lightly spray or mist and it will penetrate the soil better and more evenly. Get used to feeling the weight of the tree wet and dry, and it will start telling you when it needs water, when you learn to hear it. You can spray the leaves too if you need to. Put some water in the little tray underneath, it's not just a drip tray it's to increase the humidity a little around the tree to help with not drying out too quickly.

It will do great, because you care about it.

@Southern Discomfort Thank you, and yes it will need feeding every month during the growing season. Apply sparingly though you won't kill a tree by underfeeding but it's very easy to kill them by over feeding especially in soil. Don't buy a watering can, buy a spray bottle or mister. As the soil drys the water will run off all over your floor if poured! Just lightly spray or mist and it will penetrate the soil better and more evenly. Get used to feeling the weight of the tree wet and dry, and it will start telling you when it needs water, when you learn to hear it. You can spray the leaves too if you need to. Put some water in the little tray underneath, it's not just a drip tray it's to increase the humidity a little around the tree to help with not drying out too quickly.

It will do great, because you care about it.

Thanks for the pointers. I'll have a look around the house for a spray bottle, that's really good to know.

New Threads

Top Bottom