• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hypersensitive to Temperature

Rasputin

ASD / Aspie
V.I.P Member
I was recently in the hospital to get my gallbladder removed (was discharged today), and during my stay I had this automated, inclining bed that gently moves your upper and lower extremities to prevent blood clots. I am sure this is standard in most hospitals. Anyway, this is all powered by a motor that is centered beneath the bed, and the mattress sits over the motor. I didn’t fully examine the design, but I felt heat from the motor through the mattress. So, I asked a nurse if they to stop the bed movements because it was causing the bed to heat up. She said she could not, and asked if I was being weird because no one had ever complained about beds heating up.

I was in the hospital three days, admitted through ER due to a medical emergency. During this time I moved to a manual recliner in the room that would recline to a fully horizontal position to escape the heat. I am very warm natured, and always sleep on top of the covers. Sometimes I will sleep under a cooling weighted blanket, but that is all. I was just curious if anyone else on here was overly sensitive to heat or temperature.

Sorry you have been unwell and had a medical emergency. Glad to hear you are out now. I had an op in January and it was hard to be in for several days, I was sensitive to the smells like the cleaning and disinfectant they used ick, and the food smells at mealtimes, ended up not eating at all which wasn't ideal.

Also it was too warm for me in the room but also for the others, we had to persuade the nurses to open windows which in times of covid seemed strange. They kept sneaking them shut too.Made me realise how nice it is to be able regulate the temperature at home with open windows.

I'm also sensitive to sound and I found the staffs conversations a bit stressful, especially when about medical matters. Rather squeamish. And also how some people admitted in the night possibly with some mental health issues as well as physical ailments, would wail or shouted. Bit stressful.

Sorry you had to contend with that, Rasputin, and I hope you're feeling better. I would likely have felt the heat from the motor, as well, simply because I seem to feel things more than the average person, as it usually seems. If the room was cold, I may have welcomed it, but, not otherwise. I am not sure, though, if I am more hypersensitive to heat, necessarily, than most. I do know that I don't like hot weather, but, that could simply be a preference. Anyway, it's good that you spoke up about it and had your needs met/ moved to a different type of bed.

Last edited:
Sorry you have been unwell and had a medical emergency. Glad to hear you are out now. I had an op in January and it was hard to be in for several days, I was sensitive to the smells like the cleaning and disinfectant they used ick, and the food smells at mealtimes, ended up not eating at all which wasn't ideal.

Also it was too warm for me in the room but also for the others, we had to persuade the nurses to open windows which in times of covid seemed strange. They kept sneaking them shut too.Made me realise how nice it is to be able regulate the temperature at home with open windows.

I'm also sensitive to sound and I found the staffs conversations a bit stressful, especially when about medical matters. Rather squeamish. And also how some people admitted in the night possibly with some mental health issues as well as physical ailments, would wail or shouted. Bit stressful.

That’s crazy - nurses closing windows during the Covid pandemic. I’ve never heard of sensitivity to temperature, but why not? I’ve never been able to sleep under blankets, so I think it’s real. Maybe it’s related to sensitivity to fabrics, which I also have.

Sorry you had to contend with that, Rasputin, and I hope you're feeling better. I would likely have felt the heat from the motor, as well, simply because I seem to feel things more than the average person, as it usually seems. If the room was cold, I may have welcomed it, but, not otherwise. I am not sure, though, if I am more hypersensitive to heat, necessarily, than most. I do know that I don't like hot weather, but, that could simply be a preference. Anyway, it's good that you spoke up about it and had your needs met/ moved to a different type of bed.

Sounds like we may be similar with regard to temperature sensitivity. My wife tends to be cold, and bundles up when she goes to bed. She has temperature sensitivity also, but opposite of mine. Across from her I’m lying on top of the covers. I’m glad to be home; the whole experience was scary to me.

Air conditioning. I can deal with heat because I don't retain it. I can handle naturally occurring cold because I have adaptive layering and a little acclimation time.

My core temperature will drop by nearly two degrees and I lose feeling in my hands. Within five minutes I end up in hypertensive crisis. Which is why I always keep handwarmers and a hat in my bag. I also have a sweater handy at all times.

It is only artificial cold that triggers the reaction, almost as if my systems don't know how to respond so it goes into shock mode.

If I touch any living thing with my 'corpse' hands they literally feel like they have been doused in ice water.

Air conditioning. I can deal with heat because I don't retain it. I can handle naturally occurring cold because I have adaptive layering and a little acclimation time.

My core temperature will drop by nearly two degrees and I lose feeling in my hands. Within five minutes I end up in hypertensive crisis. Which is why I always keep handwarmers and a hat in my bag. I also have a sweater handy at all times.

It is only artificial cold that triggers the reaction, almost as if my systems don't know how to respond so it goes into shock mode.

If I touch any living thing with my 'corpse' hands they literally feel like they have been doused in ice water.

@Darkkin, as I was reading your response I remembered something I read a while back about thyroid issues causing conditions similar to what you described. Otherwise, it sounds like you and I have the exact opposite issues.

@Darkkin, as I was reading your response I remembered something I read a while back about thyroid issues causing conditions similar to what you described. Otherwise, it sounds like you and I have the exact opposite issues.

One of the first things they checked after my first infarction and HFHC diagnosis was my thyroid. It is always normal. I just don't maintain heat. It is a combination of EDS traits, inherited cardiac anomalies, and treatment for my HFHC.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom