• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Humour. It is a Difficult Concept

I am not often funny, I have dead-pan, on the spot, remarks that can at times be funny but its not like funny continuously drips from me.

I can't recall who said the below because it was a long time ago I heard it, but it seems to ring True more times than not when I've tested it.

That to have a sense of humor requires a belief in Truth outside of oneself.

That without this, one cannot discern how everything surrounding a Truth in a situation, meme, or joke in language, plays off that Truth, usually by inverting it which is often the source of what makes something funny; that the joke is incongruent with the Truth it surrounds.

View attachment 82959
I’m in this picture and I don’t like it!
(The Dino comic reminds me of that time I went to a social group just after being diagnosed. I relate to the triceratop far too much here. I had a similar reaction, and bizarrely I didn’t make any friends from it).

Humour can sometimes be something simple...
2639733.jpg

I particularly like wordplay, schadenfreude, and things that are funny because they’re WRONG.
That's fascinating. I once had an NT cousin like this, and that was the one thing that baffled me about her. She just seemed to love to startle and/or embarrass people, and would laugh at people in unpredictable and unfortunate situations. And yet she was usually very kind and loving.

I still miss her a lot. She died of cancer in 1997. :confused:

That's fascinating. I once had an NT cousin like this, and that was the one thing that baffled me about her. She just seemed to love to startle and/or embarrass people, and would laugh at people in unpredictable and unfortunate situations. And yet she was usually very kind and loving.

I still miss her a lot. She died of cancer in 1997. :confused:

I don’t laugh at people if they’re actually in an upsetting situation. I mostly meant unfortunate memes and videos lol. I could’ve worded that better, I guess.

I understand you missing your cousin, I’m sorry :( Loss can still really affect us years later. It definitely does for me.

I don’t laugh at people if they’re actually in an upsetting situation. I mostly meant unfortunate memes and videos lol. I could’ve worded that better, I guess.

I understand you missing your cousin, I’m sorry :( Loss can still really affect us years later. It definitely does for me.
Well, I just see much of that as something akin to "America's Funniest Videos". Though on occasion I can't help but wonder if people actually get physically injured in some of them. But yeah, on occasion my cousin could do some pretty weird things.

Unforgettable practical jokes that kind of ran through that side of the family. She could be kinda naughty at times...lol.

Her sister who shared just a little of this lives on the other side of town from me. But her thing is more sarcasm, which has always been difficult for me to process.

"I don't look autistic anymore than you look ignorant,...yet, here we are."
i-fail-to-see-the-humor-here.jpg

"Every person with autism was born as a result of sex,...sex causes autism."

New Threads

Top Bottom