• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to explain to my folks..

Ravkrat

That i'm not addicted to gaming..let me back up abit and give some back history so your not to confused.
For five years i hardly talked, a few "hello" "good morning" here and there but typically nothing that would be considered a full sentence. Now the thing is,is that i did socialize quit(probably wrong word) abit though i socialized via chat apps (ventrillo+teamspeak) usually i would just hop on the vent server see what people where playing and join them. My typical night in college usually was to finish,or atleast try to finish,my homework from that day then hop in-game and chat with "friends" i use quotes because when i mentioned them to my family they of course laughed at me abit and said "they arnt friends,have you seen their face?" And of course i reply no (-.-) confirming what they say.

Towards the last month or so of college some paperwork apparently was filled out wrong,in such a way that it made it to where the campus had to cut off my meal-plan,i had no job then and only got 20$ from family to wash clothes, so i was stuck at an impasse tell my folks that i needed more moeny(which i would never allow i hated receiving the 20$ has is) or try to work with what i had..in the end my idea left me 100 pounds lighter but hey atleast i didnt smell(!)

Once college let out i was admitted into a "hospital" for clincal major depressive disorder or mdd,what can i say depression was part and parcle of my life by then by the time i got into college it had been years since i last took any kind of happy pill,so i got out of the "hospital" a few weeks later a bit happier then once my family came to pick me up i find that they had already boxed "my" computer up(it was never really mine it was bought for me for college though the one that bought it loved to use it against me when she could). Keep in mind by then i had no "friends" to hang out with in the village i live in and sociliazkng with my family was(and still is) like pulling teeth out.So i spent a week or so simply laying in bed not really caring to speak to them or even try to be happy. That should give you a brief view at why my family thinks i'm addicted to gaming..now here is the funny part its been almost two years since i last so much has saw that computer and yet my family still says(and thinks) im addicted to gaming,in those two years i did play abit of xbox,mostly oblivion, and i do have clash of clans on my phone. For the past month or so i've been working at a local walmart has one of the receiving associates(the people that unload the trucks). With all of that data in mind.. Do i sound like someone who was(or is) addicted to gaming? How would i even prove to them i'm not addicted -sigh-

P.S 0_0 just noticed how long this post is.. Sorry for that

Does gaming interfere with other parts of your life? Are you able to take care of yourself? Do you spend time pursuing other hobbies?

I think your strong preference for video games might have led your family to believe you're addicted, even if you're not. It's important to try to get out of the house too. (I say this because I am similarly withdrawn, although my family respects the fact that I have online friends.)

It's interesting how your family, presumably not professionals, can decide what an addiction is.

For years, my parents thought that I was "addicted" to gaming. Though the truth was; they assumed that when I was on my room I was on my computer and when I was on my computer I was gaming. They had no concept of what I was doing.

What also comes to mind; your parents, are they actually active with computers themselves? Also; social dynamics have changed over years. I consider people on FB and to some extent, on AC, friends as well (good or personal friend might be something different), but the concept of "friends" doesn't revolve around hanging out physically anymore. That's just how it works in 2014 (and probably will work in the future). It seems your family can't grasp that concept and put you down for not adhering to their concept of "friends" and social interaction.

Something related though; My parents are both on facebook nowadays (despite never really cared for computers in their life). The main thing they do on facebook is game. And given they don't have a job; they game a lot. That in turn makes it less looking like "addiction" but more about the fact that there's a possibility on how to spend time. My parents choose to do this with Candy Crush and some other games (easily a few hours a day). The notion of me being on my computer a lot never ever came up again ever since.

Does gaming interfere with other parts of your life? Are you able to take care of yourself? Do you spend time pursuing other hobbies?

I think your strong preference for video games might have led your family to believe you're addicted, even if you're not. It's important to try to get out of the house too. (I say this because I am similarly withdrawn, although my family respects the fact that I have online friends.)

It doesnt really interfere with my life since now-a-days i only play clash of clans. I'm able to wash and shave when needed though i do like letting facial hair grow abit long(its still not fully "grown" (-.-). I love reading.. The only thing is from a money standpoint it really isnt worth it, i can usually go through a small-print 2,000 page book in half a day or a day depending on how much jm jnto the story considering most books cost anywhere from 10$-40$ not really worth it ~_~.

Funny thing i decided to look up game engines a few days ago(plan on making a h.a.r game has a hobby)(horror.adventure.rpg)) and of course my madre(mother) decided to look at it when i went to do something so when i come back and sit down she starts going on and on about how im addicted to games and why im looking up games.. Thats has far has she looked into she just saw the word "game" and she instantly assumed i was looking inti games.. Wonder if i could make her believe a car engine is a car [emoji14].
I would love to go out places the only thing is..is where to go i literally live in a village(only has a middle school/high school+some restraunts)

I love reading.. The only thing is from a money standpoint it really isnt worth it, i can usually go through a small-print 2,000 page book in half a day or a day depending on how much jm jnto the story considering most books cost anywhere from 10$-40$ not really worth it ~_~
Do you have access to a library? You can borrow all the books you want. :)

Funny thing i decided to look up game engines a few days ago(plan on making a h.a.r game has a hobby)(horror.adventure.rpg)) and of course my madre(mother) decided to look at it when i went to do something so when i come back and sit down she starts going on and on about how im addicted to games and why im looking up games.. Thats has far has she looked into she just saw the word "game" and she instantly assumed i was looking into games.
Have you ever tried to sit down and talk to your mother about your interest? You could try telling her, "Mom, it's true I like games, but this time I want to create a game of my own that other people might enjoy."

I would love to go out places the only thing is..is where to go i literally live in a village(only has a middle school/high school+some restraunts)
Are there any parks? Malls? Museums? Movie theaters? I'm sure you can find something fun to do.

It's interesting how your family, presumably not professionals, can decide what an addiction is.

For years, my parents thought that I was "addicted" to gaming. Though the truth was; they assumed that when I was on my room I was on my computer and when I was on my computer I was gaming. They had no concept of what I was doing.

What also comes to mind; your parents, are they actually active with computers themselves? Also; social dynamics have changed over years. I consider people on FB and to some extent, on AC, friends as well (good or personal friend might be something different), but the concept of "friends" doesn't revolve around hanging out physically anymore. That's just how it works in 2014 (and probably will work in the future). It seems your family can't grasp that concept and put you down for not adhering to their concept of "friends" and social interaction.

Something related though; My parents are both on facebook nowadays (despite never really cared for computers in their life). The main thing they do on facebook is game. And given they don't have a job; they game a lot. That in turn makes it less looking like "addiction" but more about the fact that there's a possibility on how to spend time. My parents choose to do this with Candy Crush and some other games (easily a few hours a day). The notion of me being on my computer a lot never ever came up again ever since.

Their not professionals,i guess now they wonder why i spend so much time on my phone(watching anime >_> only way to half-relax).

Theyre not that active with them one uses facebook and the other i doubt he has time due to his work for games.

Hm think i'll try something come november,think i'll get them both a copy of minecraft then see if they understand why i like gaming has i do.

Hmmm. To me any real "addiction" is something that permeates or interferes with every facet of one's life.

Beyond that it's just determining whether this addiction is truly a good, or truly a bad thing overall.

Do you have access to a library? You can borrow all the books you want. :)

Have you ever tried to sit down and talk to your mother about your interest? You could try telling her, "Mom, it's true I like games, but this time I want to create a game of my own that other people might enjoy."

Are there any parks? Malls? Museums? Movie theaters? I'm sure you can find something fun to do.

Heh theirs a library in the town over but i dont have a car abd i work 4pm-1am most days

Soon has i flesh my idea out somemore ill consider telling people what it is till then >_> it stays in the shadows

Hm..there is a park not to far from my home but i usually cant walk..correctly on my days off (-.-) lol there are theatres in the second city from here but thats a good 40min away by car i dont even want to think how long that wouls take me to walk there

Hmmm. To me any real "addiction" is something that permeates or interferes with every facet of one's life.

Beyond that it's just determining whether this addiction is truly a good, or truly a bad thing overall.

Considering i do plan on making games has a living(already finished one year of college just saving up money now to finish the rest)

What's also worth considering; do your parents do something they really enjoy doing?

Could just as well call them out as being addicted to that, lol. Plenty of parents could end up being "addicted" to television for example. But I guess it's 2 sides of the same coin. Not having hobbies and people tell you to find a hobby, to much time spent on it and you're "addicted".

Considering i do plan on making games has a living(already finished one year of college just saving up money now to finish the rest)

That sounds more like a "plan" than an addiction. I made websites as a hobby...eventually quit work, went back to school and lived, breathed and slept website design.

Addiction? I can't say I gave it much thought. However I did get a contracting job designing websites for a major software entertainment entity. Paid considerably more than my insurance career.

Do you also have plans for a job to pay the bills? You'll need one. Success as a game developer is not guaranteed. I have a friend in the business and he still has a day job because he can't afford to work on games full-time.

Right now i work 4pm-1am at walmart has a receiving associate. Has far has the industry goes i dont plan on jumping right into the fire(meaning join a big studio) think ill start out small making indie games and later on collabing with other indie devs

New Threads

Top Bottom