• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hey all!

arvut

I'm 22, even though I think of myself as 23 as I like that number better. A computer and informationgeek with absolutely no normal life. I practice martial arts and wait for the official diagnosis. Unemployed and bored with life in general. While waiting I spend as much time as I can, with my many interests. And those are what describes me the best...

Here we go; My interests are many, and vary quite often (I normally get a new obsession every 3-6 months or so and I can never tell how long it will last)

At the moment my number one obsession is numbers, oh yes I love numbers, especially those 3 and 4 digit numbers you see everywhere.

It all started when I was quite young, 8 or so, I decided that the number 7 was my unlucky number, even if nothing has and probably never will prove it.

Then, years later when I turned 18 and discovered cannabis for the first time (yes, I do smoke weed once in awhile, not so often tho as It's unhealthy for your brain and body), I discovered a new number 420 (fout twenty), the number all potsmokers know of. I started doing things at specific times and built myself a framework for ruitines and stuff. So that when the clock showed a specific number I would do a specific thing.

Then came Pi, I never really bothered much about math in school and I've never really been motivated enough to study it hard. But this number, this endless number that's normally presented as 3.14 has a beauty that is undescribable. It's so complex and yet so simple at the same time.

When trying to memorize that specific number, as many digits as I could, I found another nice number which is my new favourite. It's another mathnumber, called 'e' or "Euler's Number" and it goes like this... 2.718281828459045235360747135266249... you get the point. Those are the digits that I know in my head so far which I'm really proud of ^_^

Another obsession that I've had since early childhood is the desire for knowledge and how things work and ofcourse to build things. While other kids read normal books, I was digging knowledge in the school library as often as I could. Machines was and still is my big interest, back then it was mostly technical machines with rotating parts. Today It's mainly computers and other electronic devices.

Today I can spend hours on the web just digging knowledge and bookmarking everything of interest that I find.

Another interest that I haven't really studied to the max is programming, which also has to do with how things work. And with that came Ubuntu and other linux operativesystems (which is on my long list of things to learn/master/do). This interest came via a game called Neverwinter Nights, where you can both create and program your own virtual gameworlds.

And well, I do have a weakness for fantasy books and games in general. Even though I don't read books anymore due to the lack of time (watching movies and sci-fi series is at the moment more interesting and therefor a higher priority). This interest advanced from being a medieval/prehistoric fan in childhood and early teens to discovering fantasy roleplaying games and books in the mid teens.

Today I spend way too much time playing Neverwinter Nights which is a roleplaying game based on the classical pen & paper roleplaying game known as Dungeons & Dragons based game called . DnD is a ruleset I really like, as It's both logical and fun to learn. (I also play counterstrike alot (lately) which I've been doing for the past 11 years on and off, which I like mainly cause the scoresystem generates nice numbers that I like both when you play good and when you play bad or not so good)

Oh, and another obsession I also have is logic and patterns in things. It can make me very frustrated when I find flaws in things that could have been done in a more logical way. While pattens can both annoy me and give me enjoyment (for example, creating a numerical pattern which is logical and/or chaoticly beautiful in some way, or fixing things in position on a geometric surface.)

I have so many other small interests that can last for a day or two or interests that come and go. (I guess programming is one of them at the moment as I don't do that right now). But It would be impossible for me to list them all as some are forgotten 'til they come back again and either way, they are too many to be listed here.

Ps. I apologize for any spelling errors here and there, correct spelling is important to me and many others but we all have flaws ;)

Welcome to the forums! I never could understand obsessions with nubmbers, I mean, my memory is so terrible, I could never remember that many numbers! I do like the number 23 though..

I also hate it when I find a flaw in things, especially when it's so obvious that they should have noticed it before they made it!

I can understand an obsession with numbers... I don't understand people with a phobia of numbers though! :p - Google it.

Welcome to the forums. :)

How many digits of Pi do you know? Me and my ex raced to see how many digits we'd memorise(we're both Aspie) and I got to around 50 and he's probably in his 100s now, LOL.
EMZ=P

How many digits of Pi do you know? Me and my ex raced to see how many digits we'd memorise(we're both Aspie) and I got to around 50 and he's probably in his 100s now, LOL.
EMZ=P

I REALLY suck at maths. The only numbers I know are 3.142 and that's from a maths lesson I had ages ago.

Emor said:
EMZ=P

Well thats the problem really... I started trying to mem it as I like the beauty of that number alot. But I never managed to remember it as I don't see the flow in it yet, like I do with eulers number. At the moment all I can remember is 3.14159, which is normally rounded up to 3.1416...

And thanks everyone, always nice to chat with ppl who think alike ;) Speaking of which, the reason I came here in the first place was that I recognized so much of myself in you Willow :) Your ways of thinking somehow reflects my own mind in some odd way that I yet cannot understand. Even though we do have very different interests. I'm sure I we all have alot in common, like our obsessive interests and such and our social struggles. Think I'll like it here =)

ps. Oh and btw, I think there are some technical problems with the forum. I'm seeing some code that should not be there, not sure if it is because I have a zillion plug-ins in firefox but it sure doesn't look good. In general, this seems like a nicely built forum, credz to you guys ^^

ps. Oh and btw, I think there are some technical problems with the forum. I'm seeing some code that should not be there, not sure if it is because I have a zillion plug-ins in firefox but it sure doesn't look good. In general, this seems like a nicely built forum, credz to you guys ^^

There's nothing wrong with your browser, I'm working on fixing it right now. :p :(

Hmm... I don't know why that is. I like the number.
Have you tried out learning other numerical systems?
I don't care if this sounds sad, but at breaks I tend to just bring in papers full of random numbers and see how fast I can convert them into other numerical systems in my head.
EMZ=]

New Threads

Top Bottom