• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello?

Welcome, @AspieWatchmaker! :)

I live in Germany and German is my native language.
I am interested in languages, but never learned one on my own apart from some basic things I picked up while reading about them due to my general interest.
This way my knowledge of languages is mostly based on the languages I was taught at school.

Do you study German and Japanese on your own?
Do you participate at courses to learn them?

Welcome, @AspieWatchmaker! :)

I live in Germany and German is my native language.
I am interested in languages, but never learned one on my own apart from some basic things I picked up while reading about them due to my general interest.
This way my knowledge of languages is mostly based on the languages I was taught at school.

Do you study German and Japanese on your own?
Do you participate at courses to learn them?
I studied German 2 years in high school, and I have done Rosetta Stone, Duolingo, and some other things, as well as simply reading books with a dictionary and watching movies with subtitles. I have been thinking about taking uni classes in it to try and get out and make new friends as well as learn, but that is time as well as money.

I am a complete novice in Japanese. Still learning the syllabaries and basic vocabulary.

Would you be at all interested in helping me continue to learn German? I got to 49% fluent before I got bored of Duolingo.

Would you be at all interested in helping me continue to learn German?
I am not a teacher, so I don't know if I would be much help. Speaking a language and teaching it to others or help others to learn it are different things, I think.
I guess it depends on what you expect me to do or how exactly you would like me to support you.
If you are interested, feel free to send me a PM though. You could elaborate on what you expect and maybe we can figure out something to help you.

I am not a teacher, so I don't know if I would be much help. Speaking a language and teaching it to others or help others to learn it are different things, I think.
I guess it depends on what you expect me to do or how exactly you would like me to support you.
If you are interested, feel free to send me a PM though. You could elaborate on what you expect and maybe we can figure out something to help you.
I tried to teach someone about watchmaking once and it didn't go well. I am not a teacher either. Just having practice at conversation would be more than I usually get. Will pm when I have time. (At work in midst of said retail madness)

Welcome.
I tried to teach someone about watchmaking once and it didn't go well.
You should probably start them with a full-size clock that contains the same types of workings before graduating them to the miniature form...
m-ponder_orig.gif

FYI, as a watchmaker, have you ever heard of the Antikythera Mechanism?

Last edited:
Welcome.

You should probably start them with a full-size clock that contains the same types of workings before graduating them to the miniature form...
m-ponder_orig.gif

As soon as I actually got it into her head that watchmaking was a mechanical job (still boggles my mind) she left in a hurry. She only cared about sales, fashion, prestige, etc. and didn't understand that I wasn't just some kind of glorified salesman in a higher paygrade for no reason. Every time I tried to teach her something she fought me saying I was wrong, she already knew (she didn't), or that I was just being OCD over emphasizing things that didn't matter. Being a watchmaker in retail can be tough, especially as an aspie. They assume since I'm not good with customers or other interpersonal skills that I'm not good at anything, since those are the only things they understand. It is getting a lot better with my diagnosis and anti anxiety pills, however.

I know a little bit about the Antikythera mechanism, but I have never studied it closely. It was an ancient analog celestial computer found half corroded away in a shipwreck, that's about as much as I know. What interests me more is not so much the messes of clockwork, but the physics, elegance, and harmony of the mechanical escapement and regulator. Everything else is just power storage, transmission, and display (also gathering power in the case of automatics). The law of universal gravitation dictates the behavior of the oscillating balance wheel in the same way it dictates the behavior of orbiting bodies in space.

Welcome.

m-ponder_orig.gif

Also, the progression from clocks to watches may seem logical, because clock are easier than watches, but you can easily form a lot of bad habits that are fine for clocks but will destroy a watch. Any watchmaker can teach themselves to work on clocks even if they have never been trained in them, but going the other way will be overwhelmingly difficult.

New Threads

Top Bottom