• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello everyone!

blueeyedgirl

Hi everyone!

I'm a 37 year old girl from Australia and hope to find a new internet home here! I think I may have aspergers syndrome, my son was diagnosed 8 years ago as an 8 year old. Looking into it more and more over the years, I have come to be quite sure it is the right fit. I went to see a psychologist today for the first time, but it didn't go great!
My psychologist after the first appointment thinks I have a social or anxiety disorder. Looking into these, I think it's wrong because I don't feel anxious in a social situation, I just don't feel normal. How to have a normal conversation, or even start one, is foreign to me. She told me to try starting small conversations with random people in the world during the next week, I can do this for a minute or two, all be it awkwardly, but I don't really care enough!! Is this a normal way to feel?
I have no friends and no real desire to have any, I separated from my husband after 17 years, and now feel happy to be by myself or with my kids. My family is starting to pressure me into finding someone else, which I have absolutely no desire to, and may never have. I think I may have Aspergers Syndrome but the psych doesn't agree, I don't know if she is even listening to me, I feel she is trying to fit me into the mold she thinks I should fit into. What to do now?
I have a lot of the classic signs, such as a dislike of eye contact and being touched, I stim all the time, mainly feet figgeting and hand wringing, I have an intense dislike of certain smells and feelings eg: Lavender, deep heat and chinese five spice make me want to puke and Latex free gloves and flannel make me want to run screaming from a room! I have my obsessions as expected, one of which I have had for 30 years.
All the online tests point very strongly toward AS, on the aspie quiz I got Your Aspie score: 165 of 200 Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200 and on the AQ test I got 38. I have always thought I have a male brain, I can read maps, I am very good at maths and science, but am at a loss with empathatic feelings for others, which is expected of females. I have to tell myself to remember to ask how others are, whether there plans worked out, how their kids are etc, because it doesn't come naturally. I hate it when people change plans at the last minute or are late, even at work.
Should I keep seeing the psych I'm seeing now and hope she will see me, instead of the patient she wants, or should I go with the self diagnose option, or pay $600 for a psych who has an specific interest in diagnosing females with aspergers, although she may put me in a mold as well!! Help me!!

Hi, welcome to the forum!

As someone who followed a somewhat unusual path to getting an AS diagnosis, I'm not sure I'm in a really good position to advise anyone on that, but if I were in your position, I would ask myself how important it really is to get an "official" AS diagnosis. Often, an "official" AS diagnosis doesn't really have much practical benefit for adults (of course, that may vary depending on what country you're in), so I generally wouldn't advise most adults who think that they may have AS to go to a lot of effort or spend a lot of money to get one. Based on what you've written here, I think it's pretty safe to say that you probably do have at least some AS characteristics, so a self-diagnosis might be enough unless there's some really compelling reason to get an "official" diagnosis (perhaps if it was a necessary step in seeing a therapist who specialized in treating patients in AS who could help you with certain issues).

Hey blueeyedgirl! You'll love it here!

In my opinion, it may take some more time for you and your psychologist to reach a verdict on if you have Aspergers or not. Do you know if she has much experience with Aspergers or autism? I ask because when I got diagnosed my psych had this as a specialty. From what you list as your symptoms is seems very mush like AS but hey, Im not a doctor :) just remember that AS is on a spectrum, which means that its not an exact thing. Severity and symptoms will vary a lot

Welcome! :)

New Threads

Top Bottom