• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Good, cheap turntables?

4gottenLoreKali

Metalqueer
V.I.P Member
I have all these vinyl records that I want to enjoy - and nothing to play them on! SO, I'm in the market for a new turntable (as in a vinyl record player, but not a Crosley - I have had bad experiences with that particular brand). My budget is $50, maximum. I found a great Sony one on Craigslist for only $30, but I'm triple-leery of going forward with buying it. First of all, it's Craigslist. Second, the guy who's selling it is in a rough neighborhood. And finally, I've never used Craigslist. So that's a bit out of the question. If not for the first two of those factors, I'd be sold on it.

Ideally, I'd like one with software and a cable included so that I can rip the tracks off the vinyl to my computer, but that's not a must.

It doesn't even have to be new, just usable and operational. I'd greatly prefer one by Sony for some reason.

Let me know what you guys think. Cheers.

I've bought and sold a few things on Craigslist when eBay was inconvenient for one reason or another. I arrange to meet the person somewhere neutral, preferably with easily accessible electric outlets for electronics. Starbucks is ideal. My experiences have been positive. Great way to save money and avoid shipping costs.

Since you're on a budget, have you ever used Freecycle? It's a great option if you live in or near a large town or city. Everything posted on Freecycle is given away free of charge. You can post items you want to rehome, or post an item you're looking for. I've acquired electronics as well as camping equipment through the site. You can't beat "free"!

The Freecycle Network

Honestly, if you didn't like the Crosley, I suspect your present budget is completely inadequate for what your expectations are.

That you'll likely be unhappy with the sound quality of a used, conventional belt-driven turntable along with a used stylus and cartridge either. Turntables, styluses and their cartridges are all inherently subject to progressive wear and tear. In essence, people still using them run them into the ground with a love of analog recordings. The odds are you're just buying someone's worn out turntable.

Unless your sense of hearing is quite poor, chances are you will be annoyed with wow and flutter, turntable rumble and diminished dynamic range. All major considerations with lowest-end turntables and stylus/cartridges used or new.

When I think of the money had invested in a good direct-drive turntable and stylus....yikes. And all that preening and required care of fragile vinyl records....ugh. Converted them all to DBX cassette recordings back in the late 80s. And converted everything to MP3 around 2010.

Last edited:
That you'll likely be unhappy with the sound quality of a used, conventional belt-driven turntable along with a used stylus and cartridge either. Turntables, styluses and their cartridges are all inherently subject to progressive wear and tear. In essence, people still using them run them into the ground with a love of analog recordings. The odds are you're just buying someone's worn out turntable.

I agree that most people who still have turntables and would sell them second-hand have probably used them long and hard. That said, I have a Technics SL-1200 from the 1970s that I bought used from a DJ for $80, and I can still get replacement parts for it. The thing sounds great. If NotImportant can spend $50 on a turntable now and get parts along the way, he may still find something. I've seen good, older Technics and Rega units sell online or at flea markets very cheaply, from people who don't know or don't care that they are still valuable.

I agree that most people who still have turntables and would sell them second-hand have probably used them long and hard. That said, I have a Technics SL-1200 from the 1970s that I bought used from a DJ for $80, and I can still get replacement parts for it. The thing sounds great. If NotImportant can spend $50 on a turntable now and get parts along the way, he may still find something. I've seen good, older Technics and Rega units sell online or at flea markets very cheaply, from people who don't know or don't care that they are still valuable.

I'd think in your case you've been quite lucky! But Technics did produce superior turntables...both direct and belt-drive units. That was the brand I had....can't recall the model though. I simply tossed mine...got fed up with vinyl. Seriously....:eek:

I recall putting my entire record collection next to a dumpster. About 20 minutes later I went back to toss something else out and all the records were gone. Someone was happy! I went digital and never looked back. :)

You running a Shure cartridge/stylus for that turntable? ;)

Last edited:
You running a Shure cartridge/stylus for that turntable? ;)

Here's where I have to 'fess up a little. I've got an Audio-Technica that costs about ten times more than I paid for the player. But that's just me being a snobby audiophile. :D

I once had some verrrrrrry collectible vinyl stored at my mother's, and she sold the whole box for $10 at a yard sale without telling me. Her defense: "Nobody listens to records anymore."

That $10 box was worth at least $10K. I can only imagine the look on the buyer's face if they had the first clue about even one of the titles.

Note to everyone in the world: If someone has old records in mint condition, sealed in plastic, separated by sheets of bubble-wrapped cardboard and stored in perfectly-sized hard container lined with dry-packs, please ask. Before even touching them.

LOL...yeah, I consider myself a "reformed" audiophile. :p My first job was working in my aunt's electronics store back in the 70s.

I've still tenaciously held onto my Boston Acoustics T-830 towers. Had to replace the woofer's foam edges though a few years ago. That was an adventure! Amazing though what kind of parts and replacements you can find online. And I still have my Sony 100 watt receiver with a built-in equalizer. Must be about 32 years old now. :)

Part of me is crushed that they don't make receivers like that any more. But I also have a Sony 5.1 Home Theater System that makes the most of audio source encoded for multi-directional sound. So for now I enjoy having the best of both worlds in an audio sense.

Last edited:
I have all these vinyl records that I want to enjoy - and nothing to play them on! SO, I'm in the market for a new turntable (as in a vinyl record player, but not a Crosley - I have had bad experiences with that particular brand). My budget is $50, maximum. I found a great Sony one on Craigslist for only $30, but I'm triple-leery of going forward with buying it. First of all, it's Craigslist. Second, the guy who's selling it is in a rough neighborhood. And finally, I've never used Craigslist. So that's a bit out of the question. If not for the first two of those factors, I'd be sold on it.

Ideally, I'd like one with software and a cable included so that I can rip the tracks off the vinyl to my computer, but that's not a must.

It doesn't even have to be new, just usable and operational. I'd greatly prefer one by Sony for some reason.

Let me know what you guys think. Cheers.
I found this on Amazon for <$30 and rips to MP3
Amazon.com: AGPtek® Portable USB Turntable (33/45 PRM) Vinyl Tape-to-MP3 or CD Converter through PC (edit software included): Electronics

Here's where I have to 'fess up a little. I've got an Audio-Technica that costs about ten times more than I paid for the player. But that's just me being a snobby audiophile. :D

I once had some verrrrrrry collectible vinyl stored at my mother's, and she sold the whole box for $10 at a yard sale without telling me. Her defense: "Nobody listens to records anymore."

That $10 box was worth at least $10K. I can only imagine the look on the buyer's face if they had the first clue about even one of the titles.

Luckily for me. No one touch my vinyl collection. I started collecting The Beatles and Elvis Presley records back in the 80's, because I new those records where gonna be worth something someday. And I just sold-off all those records about 4 years ago for about $14K. And the only reason I did that was because the value of those records was starting to decline because the generation that grew up on The Beatles and Elvis Presley is starting to die-off. Today, they are worth less money now then whey where that 4 years ago.

New Threads

Top Bottom