• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Finding Support Resources in the USA...

I've been on the fence for a while about applying for disability. I live in New York, and the process looks so daunting. From what I read about it, it looks like they want you to appear practically non-functional to validate your need for assistance. And if you are able to function well enough but with difficulty, and only with the aid of medication (like me), they require a ton of paperwork and other stuff, and pretty much say, "My life sucks I really need this very very badly, I beg you." I just feel like the process is dehumanizing. I sort of (barely) get why they do this, but at the same time, I'm annoyed that they make it seem extremely hard.

With my long history of being on Medicaid and food stamps (now called SNAP?? or something like that), and temporarily on TANF, I am extremely averse to attempting to get disability. The amount they gave me for TANF was insulting. The things I had to endure to get it.. it wiped me out and made me feel terrible.

So if anyone here can actually tell me how they went through the process I'd really appreciate it. I don't know if it will convince me to apply, but at the very least it might make my thoughts and feelings about it very slightly less negative.

So if anyone here can actually tell me how they went through the process I'd really appreciate it. I don't know if it will convince me to apply, but at the very least it might make my thoughts and feelings about it very slightly less negative.
Contact a disability lawyer. They do all of the heavy lifting. They cost nothing if you lose. Their fee is negligible if you win.

I was hospitalised when my psychiatrist got SSI and SSD for me.
He took care of it all and I didn't have to do anything.

The problem I have had is the amount is so small per month finding a way to pay rent or live in
some type of assisted facility isn't viable.
When there was more than one income still living at home it was fine, but, on your own it doesn't pay enough to stay in a place if you need help and transportation.
My income level does make me eligible for state medicaid which is a big help for medical.
But, there is nothing that provides for payment for a place to live.
There are housing authorities if you can live alone.
But, if you need assisted living unfortunately it doesn't help.

New Threads

Top Bottom