• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Feeling beat up and ugly

I think about such things a lot now, especially when I do minor physical things and usually pay for them the next morning with all kinds of minor pain. Despite my attempts to stay relative active on a daily basis. So this is old age, eh?

Though in my own case I've avoided having to have any surgery or broken any bones. But time will tell as to whether or not this changes, or that it may be inevitable. Definitely not for sissies.

Though what concerns me most is simply to have been an eyewitness in being my mother's caregiver in the last four years of her life. Tough to watch someone slowly fall apart and know that it could be me as well. Though I will have no one to care for me in such circumstances.

@Judge - If that happens, just PM me and I'll come take care of you. Assuming I can still walk and talk by then.

What kind of recuperation period are they talking for you? It's amazing how active you were with all that going on. Maybe getting a itinerary of what you are cleared to do each month further out will get you feeling better and motivated.

When l couldn't run because of my broken ankle,, started doing tons of upper body exercises. I did kettlebell sitting on the ground, l refused to give up my exercise regime. It really helped me doing it everyday now when l look back and think about this. Then l bought a ankle brace and wore a tight laced up boot instead of the big floppy open toe boot they wanted me to wear which would hinder walking. Finally, l ate a lot of protein because l read that my body needed this to heal.

So perhaps you formulate a return to your enjoyable activities with a structured monthly plan to help motivate you and keep you moving forward. It might mean biking inside, or doing a row machine to keep your arms and shoulders strong for paddling. Coming up with work around. I actually developed upper body strength, being stuck at home.

Last edited:
What kind of recuperation period are they talking for you? It's amazing how active you were with all that going on. Maybe getting a itinerary of what you are cleared to do each month further out will get you feeling better and motivated.

When l couldn't run because of my broken ankle,, started doing tons of upper body exercises. I did kettlebell sitting on the ground, l refused to give up my exercise regime. It really helped me doing it everyday now when l look back and think about this. Then l bought a ankle brace and wore a tight laced up boot instead of the big floppy open toe boot they wanted me to wear which would hinder walking. Finally, l ate a lot of protein because l read the my body needed this to heal.

So perhaps you formulate a return to your enjoyable activities with a structured monthly plan to help motivate you and keep you moving forward. It might mean biking inside, or doing a row machine to keep your arms and shoulders strong for paddling. Coming up with work around. I actually developed upper body strength, being stuck at home.
I am already starting to think about recovery from my next surgery. I already have my trike downstairs and on my trainer, plus during recovery I will be building my spouse a solo canoe. The wood came two days ago and now I need to order the fiberglass cloth and epoxy. I'll work and dream. What I do not want to give up on is scuba diving. I may get a pool membership to get on my fins and snorkel and get my legs in shape for finning.

I have learned that we are only as helpless as we allow.

I think about such things a lot now, especially when I do minor physical things and usually pay for them the next morning with all kinds of minor pain. Despite my attempts to stay relative active on a daily basis. So this is old age, eh?

Though in my own case I've avoided having to have any surgery or broken any bones. But time will tell as to whether or not this changes, or that it may be inevitable. Definitely not for sissies.

Though what concerns me most is simply to have been an eyewitness in being my mother's caregiver in the last four years of her life. Tough to watch someone slowly fall apart and know that it could be me as well. Though I will have no one to care for me in such circumstances.
The inability to do minor physical things and pay for it the next morning could be
Fibromyalgia.
That's exactly how it works. Pain the day after.
I have it along with arthritis, and then the morning after. :confounded:

The inability to do minor physical things and pay for it the next morning could be
Fibromyalgia.
That's exactly how it works. Pain the day after.
I have it along with arthritis, and then the morning after. :confounded:

Yes, I've heard of such possibilities/likelihoods. Though I've also had manifestations of arthritis for quite some time. Old age isn't helping...

Getting old, I never want to feel that I ama prisoner in my body. What I am experiencing now comes close. However the necessity of what I am going through in order to be active and to be here for my spouse is a tradeoff that I willingly undertake.

What I am experiencing now comes close.
I am your age and, in a similar way, await that switch going off. The little things so far have been tolerable. The doctor laughed at me when I mentioned the "60-switch." Now, when I talk about the "70-switch" he's not laughing so much.

I've been following your recent ordeal because I think you're an inspiration, in how you approach some of the problems we share. Setbacks are inevitable for us at times, but I'm hoping yours aren't serious yet, because you contribute a lot around here and set a good example.

I am your age and, in a similar way, await that switch going off. The little things so far have been tolerable. The doctor laughed at me when I mentioned the "60-switch." Now, when I talk about the "70-switch" he's not laughing so much.

I've been following your recent ordeal because I think you're an inspiration, in how you approach some of the problems we share. Setbacks are inevitable for us at times, but I'm hoping yours aren't serious yet, because you contribute a lot around here and set a good example.
Thank you. While in life I am not always positive, here I enjoy discussions that drive introspection. Plus, you live long enough and you learn there is no new ways to sin. I wish that some of my lessons were learned at an earlier age, but there is a satisfaction. in learning to appreciate things.

New Threads

Top Bottom