• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone else ever worry about being made fun of for your special interests?

Nope. I stopped worrying 50 years ago. I was self-conscious about them but decided that they made me an interesting person, because any person worth being a friend would like me for my varied interests.

No i am not learning conlangs or any language just making them.
That is even harder.
I coin & commandeer words when I cannot find a fitting one, but my coinages are usually Greek-based; sometimes Latin.
I made up two of my daughters' names using Hebrew morphemes. (It turns out that Nissiah is actually used in Israel.)

Last edited:
That is even harder.
I coin & commandeer words when I cannot find a fitting one, but my coinages are usually Greek-based; sometimes Latin.
I made up two of my daughters' names using Hebrew morphemes. (It turns out that Nissiah is actually used in Israel.)
It's easy if you try to make the word feel like the thing it is describing like Shiva is hot, spicy.

I collect & customize 1/6th-scale figures.
"Sextilis" is "sixth" in Latin, so
  • "sextilian" is a scale figure &
  • "sextiliana" is their accessories.
"Hektos" is "sixth" in Greek,* so
  • "hectophile" is a sixth-scale enthusiast &
  • "hectocosm" means all things sixth-scale.
*The metric system uses hecto- for 100, but that is a French corruption. It should have been hecato- < "hekaton."

Last edited:
I collect & customize 1/6th-scale figures.
"Sextilis" is "sixth" in Latin, so
  • "sextilian" is a scale figure &
  • "sextiliana" is their accessories.
"Hektos" is "sixth" in Greek,* so
  • "hectophile" is a sixth-scale enthusiast &
  • "hectocosm" means all things sixth-scale.
*The metric system uses hecto- for 100, but that is a French corruption. It should have been hecato- < "hekaton."
I remember that I made a -gt system for these -th system without realizing it exists, so 1/6 is sixgt, which would be pronounced like sikszg't.

Have you named your conlang, yet?
No, and I also have made many, and when I got bullied, I quickly chose one word, Rēs, meaning words, content as they asked me for the name of it. My brain just remembers them like the diary one, the Indo-European one, the Saturn Ring one.

Many words, or many whole languages?
Not whole languages, but for the first one I finished at 1k words, for more languages after that I only made enough words for the situation, like to give commands, tell stories, etc.

FB_IMG_1685558480499.jpg
I finally found one that screamed ME.

I guess I'm also at that age where I don't care what anyone else thinks anymore. And extremely happy and liberated to have moved beyond that phase.

Last edited:
For most of my life I kept my special interest to myself no reason to talk no one else's business but my own to this day only my sons know, a few close friends are aware of my interest in physics This is the only place I have ever. Had a constructive conversation. Actually the first time I have ever meet anyone who even remotely. shares this interest.
Meet a few science buffs that's about it. another special interest industrial colour control I picked up on my first job after college. stuck with me for my whole career until I retired.

Last edited:
I only recently became aware that somehow, as a child, if I expressed any interest in something that it was shut down. As a result, many things that night have been special interests never developed. I have relatively Safe special interests now.

I had to keep my special interest in nudism a secret until I was old enough to leave home. Then I moved to California and discovered nudists who share it with me and many tolerant people who didn't judge. My other special interests in science and photography were not so problematic. Special interests were never an obstacle to socializing, altho I did get some eye-rolling when I'd start spouting off about them.

My failure to understand all the social conventions and interactions around me is what led to social isolation. I didn't know how to offer the things that were expected. I couldn't handle small disappointments. Stuff that other people shrugged off felt like existential threats. I didn't understand the fashions and the social dance, and couldn't do things (sports, small talk, etc.) everyone else could.

Imagine a world where mind-reading came easily to most but not to you. You wouldn't be a part of anyone's social circle because you couldn't participate. Stuff that is obvious to others is invisible to you. The way you blunder about is like a comic character in a badly written play.

There are people who have science and photography as a special interest and who are not socially isolated. Unlike me, their special interests are embedded in an intuitive understanding of the social world.

hyperfixation.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom