• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you think there should be more seats in shops and outside shops, ramps, car spaces for the disabled?

lovely_darlingprettybaby

V.I.P Member
I think especially in shops there should be seats near the checkout so you can rest and elderly too etc while someone checks out for you even if you are having a bad day. In supermarkets and even around department stores so you can sit and rest when shopping
And ramps in you need to like wheel baskets down stairs and feel nervous about tripping up and down stairs and rails if there are slippery floors.
There is just not enough help even people with adhd or ASD can get scared of tripping or cannot lift heavy things like baskets or wheel around trolleys or need s rest in stores for anxiety alone even while waiting for changing rooms in clothing stores and maybe there should be a changing room for the disabled so they do not have to wait as long. Or queues or checkouts solely designed for disabled or elderly in case they cannot wait as long or get anxiety waiting.
tripping

I think especially in shops there should be seats near the checkout so you can rest and elderly too etc while someone checks out for you even if you are having a bad day. In supermarkets and even around department stores so you can sit and rest when shopping
And ramps in you need to like wheel baskets down stairs and feel nervous about tripping up and down stairs and rails if there are slippery floors.
There is just not enough help even people with adhd or ASD can get scared of tripping or cannot lift heavy things like baskets or wheel around trolleys or need s rest in stores for anxiety alone even while waiting for changing rooms in clothing stores and maybe there should be a changing room for the disabled so they do not have to wait as long. Or queues or checkouts solely designed for disabled or elderly in case they cannot wait as long or get anxiety waiting.
tripping
I'd never given that much thought to disability accommodations simply because I didn't know anybody that needed them. It's been a recent theme in my life, though, because I dated an awesome girl who was significantly physically disabled, and she had a huge impact on me. It's one thing to intellectually know someone deserves support, but I'd never felt it so vividly, and I'm glad of that. It makes me feel more alive to feel love over a need I can nurture rather than merely for a person's strengths.

I'd never given that much thought to disability accommodations simply because I didn't know anybody that needed them. It's been a recent theme in my life, though, because I dated an awesome girl who was significantly physically disabled, and she had a huge impact on me. It's one thing to intellectually know someone deserves support, but I'd never felt it so vividly, and I'm glad of that. It makes me feel more alive to feel love over a need I can nurture rather than merely for a person's strengths.
Yes there are people who need them, disabled, sick and elderly even people with autism and adhd and just because some people need them does not mean they cannot do regular things or go out places or walk or be able bodied.
And you know what physically disabled, mentally disabled those people can still act normal in their mannerisms sometimes or be quite capable and worthy of love and treasured and supported.

Yes there are people who need them, disabled, sick and elderly even people with autism and adhd and just because some people need them does not mean they cannot do regular things or go out places or walk or be able bodied.
And you know what physically disabled, mentally disabled those people can still act normal in their mannerisms sometimes or be quite capable and worthy of love and treasured and supported.
Of course I know that, I'd just never dated someone like that, so it was a new experience, but I'm glad I was with her because I'd never felt that way about anyone.

Of course I know that, I'd just never dated someone like that, so it was a new experience, but I'm glad I was with her because I'd never felt that way about anyone.
The other thing I keep reminding myself is that a disabled person's weakness is also a measure of their strength, because they have to survive and confront that every day, and it's the character that counts, not whether their hand works. I thought things like "Poor girl, that she has to talk like that, when I know she's so bright", and I loved her even more, and I quickly forgot what the sound means to other people, and just remembered that it's the sound of her overcoming. She'd gotten quite good at speaking, but I still knew the burden the world would make out of it. And whenever I'd see her try to rub her only good arm with her bent wrist because her hand didn't work, I loved her tremendously again, and always wanted to run in and help her. She always reminded me that she was independent and she didn't require help, and I would just tell her; I enjoy helping you because I love you, not because you need it.

Being physically disabled I know there is a great need for more handicapped parking, places to sit and rest in stores, and ways to get around in stores.
Grocery stores provide electric carts, but shopping malls or clothing and department stores, I might as well forget.
Many places used to have the electric carts, but don't now.
They have also taken out the seating in department stores that used to be there.

Yes, I don't see enough resting spots here in shops, most of the bigger places have some, but more would be nicer.

I never thought of it being a possibility with help during checkout- that is a place where there really is place for improvement, I know in some countries they bag everything for you, that isn't a thing here, so there is too much pressure to be fast with packing and removing your stuff, especially if you are alone, so you can't start packing before you have put everything from your cart on the belt - that is one place where I'm happy my JJ follows me, when they are happy they will help unloading so I can start the packing, also they do the pay thing.

Some places have lines for families with kids, it would be nice with a general slow lane.

In my state, everything has to be wheelchair-accessible to some degree. Every place that you walk into is either ground-level or has a ramp, which is pretty cool.

I'm sure they could go even further to provide better accommodations, but I think it's a great start to not deny service to anyone based on whether they can physically enter your business or not.

When my mom became disabled several years before she passed, I became aware of the needs of people with physical challenges. It was a real eye-opener for me. Since then, I've become aware that not all challenges are immediately obvious. While things have gotten better in the US, there is still room for improvement.

I learned this during covid could not sit while I waited for my wife to pick me up from hospital all chairs and benches removed. I could not stand for any length of time so I started walking home, in middle of snowstorm with uncleaned sidewalks. my wife has now bought me a hunter cane with a seat can used anywhere.

Last edited:
When I was driving north, I stopped for the night at a motel. The only room still available was the “handicapped accessible” one, which they gave me.

It was located on the second floor. The motel had no elevator.

If I think I may have to stand too long, I take a handy little folding tripod stool with a fabric seat. If I was going to carry it all the time, I'd get a convertible walking stick, which can also come in very handy.

Standing for me was always an issue due to my transverse myelitis, the stroke and learning to walk again a second time in my life just aggravated it.

New Threads

Top Bottom