• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you have an obsession about the weather?

There are certain ways the weather should be...the nasty and the good. There is a certain minimum level of humidity that must exist. Temperatures below 32 are absolutely unacceptable. After moving 10 years ago, I find myself chronically upset about the weather and I experience bouts of depression over it. I'm not exaggerating. People think I'm complicated and crazy. My daughter is on the spectrum, my brother, my father, and my nephew...maybe I should go in for my own evaluation.

Some of us go through the same thing regarding seasonal affective disorder. You aren't alone.

Well...I'm being a bit humorous about it. I used to live east of Berkeley...in the Diablo Valley. It's very dry, mild weather most of the time, except for a brutally hot summer. I recall one year when it reached 117 degrees...and this is about 30 miles from San Francisco....which can at times be colder in
the summer than the winter along the waterfront. A lot of little and varied microclimates in the area.

But the weather itself...very predictable compared to 400 miles east in Nevada. The cloud formations here are spectacular...and bizarre. And there's four distinct seasons each year instead of two mild ones. This is the high desert, but it's seldom as hot here in the summer as it was in California.
When I lived in Kamloops BC, I saw some amazing cloud displays there. Kamloops is in a desert-like rain shadow. In a rain shadow the winds blow hard over the mountains and let loose their moisture as rain on the windward side. When the winds then blow over the mountains the clouds can form really interesting layers and shapes, like the displays you find on Jupiter. Vancouver could get heavy rain while Kamloops can be dry and cloudy with some really interesting cloud formations. And the sunsets are spectacular - like fire in the sky intermingled with shadows! Kamloops has the hottest summers in Canada, according to the Weather Network. Frequently the temperatures get in the 90s and in August, over 100 degrees is fairly common.

When I lived in Kamloops BC, I saw some amazing cloud displays there. Kamloops is in a desert-like rain shadow. In a rain shadow the winds blow hard over the mountains and let loose their moisture as rain on the windward side. When the winds then blow over the mountains the clouds can form really interesting layers and shapes, like the displays you find on Jupiter. Vancouver could get heavy rain while Kamloops can be dry and cloudy with some really interesting cloud formations. And the sunsets are spectacular - like fire in the sky intermingled with shadows! Kamloops has the hottest summers in Canada, according to the Weather Network. Frequently the temperatures get in the 90s and in August, over 100 degrees is fairly common.

I remember. I was in Kamloops in August of 1974. Heading south to Penticton the same day as well.....boy was it hot!

I wish it was just that. Unfortunately it's all year.

Comorbid chronic clinical depression? I was diagnosed 32 years ago.

Weather exacerbates it for me to a certain extent. But it never, ever really goes away. Rain or shine....hot or cold.

I guess that's one way to describe here. The continual clouds that form as the moisture evaporates off Lake Michigan and dumps the rain onto us. Never thought of like Jupiter before but aside from the color that is true. I would describe it as horizon to horizon pillows and blankets. And we do get some cool looking sunsets when the sun peeks through. It's pretty much the ocean with no salt. Well that and parts are still frozen too. It's been nonstop rain and 30-40F for the last week which is nothing out of the ordinary. Last year we had a snowstorm on Mother's day. I keep my ice scraper in my car year round because we get frost every month of the year. I was able to escape it for awhile today as I went downstate and it was sunny and clear and warm, but was back under the cloud canopy as I got toward home.

In Eastern Canada there is a fantastic weather personality who IS AUTISTIC! His name is Frankie MacDonald. His passion and dedication to his interest, and his passion for helping those around him with his forecasts, is a huge boost to the autistic community. All donations go to Autism Nova Scotia! Check this out, and check out more links on Google regarding this brilliant weather forecaster!!

Frankie MacDonald - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Enjoy!

I do not obsess about the weather, but I do watch the weather. I like to recreate outside, so it can affect my activities. If it is real hot or real windy I may stay home.

I'm developing an obsession the older I get. Especially since I now live pretty close to a known tornado path.

Today we got up to 36 degrees C (96 degrees F). This is the highest temperature I have ever seen in this town.

All southern BC has been through a heat wave for a good four days or so. I do not like heat, but I have to fight through it anyway. This has been a very busy week and will continue busy for some time as the July 1 week is upon us. July 1 is Canada's birthday, when confederation was declared in 1867.

I will be very glad when it cools down!

Oh gosh I thought you guys north of us might be cooler. I'm in southwest Montana and it is 97° still and almost 7 p.m. Weather service says they don't know when the heat wave will lessen.
It takes all my will not to obsessively worry about this.

Yes, in fact i am so fascinated by the weather that I got a degree in meteorology (weather science) via correspondence just because it interested me.

I especially enjoy single cell, super cell thunderstorms, perhaps because my instructor was the man that discovered and proved their existence. The thermodynamics of those things are fascinating, everything has to be just right for them to occur. Once they get going, the convection, rotation and such are magnified beyond a normal thunderstorm and, if they spawn a tornado, the destruction is generally catastrophic over a large area.

New Threads

Top Bottom