• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Currently trapped in a bookshop. What should I do?

wyverary

V.I.P Member
I made the mistake of driving to Huntsville, AL to take my iPod to the Apple Store...without an appointment. Now I am trapped here for another four hours while waiting to see a "genius," and being the nerd I am, I naturally have gravitated to the Barnes & Noble, where I just want to hang out, drink coffee, eat scones...and READ.

But I did not bring a book with me.

Anyone have suggestions? Science, sci-fi, graphic novels...or something crazy I would never otherwise read.

Or are there other fun (and potentially mischievous) shenanigans that one can accomplish in a bookshop?

Sock it to me!

When I read the title I thought you were trapped and the employees closed down the lot, lol.

What a disappointment this brings :p

I think you should build a castle out of books. Preferably medieval books.

Or you could make your own Fort knox and searching for the most expensive book and putting that in the middle as a vault of sorts.

I believe bookstores should have ballpits, since that usually kills time as well...

A ball pit would be PERFECT for reading in. I wonder how they would react to a fortress of books in the middle of their shop?

UPDATE -

I snuck behind the desk to use Bookmaster—they have one of those little kiosks, but there was a line—and sought out Christopher Hitchens' The Missionary Position, which I purchased and read in the caf? for a while...then managed to find a bar, where I read some more while sipping Jack 'n' Cokes. Only twenty minutes now...success!

Might still have another go at that fortress, though.

Just go for it... don't forget a fancy drawbridge. And while you're at it, yell "You shall not pass!" at people who want to move along while waving one of the Lord of the rings books.

Go to the mystery section and turn all the books around so that the customers can't see the titles. :D

Haha! If only that had not been done already... but I was thinking along those lines. I thought a subtle re-organization was called for; I was tempted, for example, to move The God Delusion out of the Science section--it MADDENS me that that's where bookshop proprietors (or oblivious corporate brass) think it, or any like it, should go. Actually, my bookshop-employee instincts kicked in at one point and I went around putting back books that had obviously been taken off the shelf and hastily put back somewhere else by a careless (or flat-out inconsiderate) customer. Those same instincts, alas, also prevented me from building that fort (which would have been AWESOME).

Cool thread! When I first saw this I would have gotten involved but I was getting ready go out. Excellent creative thread.

Write messages on bits of paper then slide them into random books. You can make them nice or sinister, it's your choice ;)

*edit* eek! How was this in my 'recent' stream? Holy thread revival batman

Last edited:
I realise this happened to you in July 2013. If I ever found myself in this situation, then I'd probably still be there now. I'd secretly squat in the basement, armed with a packet of malted milk biscuits. Then I'd read until my teeth fell out.

Last edited:
I realise this happened to you in July 2013. If I ever found myself in this situation, then I'd probably still be there now. I'd secretly squat in the basement, armed with a packet of malted mik biscuits. Then I'd read until my teeth fell out.

Perhaps he's still stuck in the bookstore ;) but has excellent Wi-fi

Reminds me of the episode of Black Books where Manny (Bill Bailey) is trapped in the book shop overnight. He goes insane, drinks a whole bottle of absinthe and eats some bees!

New Threads

Top Bottom