• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Athiests: What do you believe?

I may be an athiest however im not offended by Merry christmas or god bless you, it is an act of kindness and i appreciate and accept it.

I think it would be a bit far to be offended by something like that! Can you imagine! :D
In Latvia (where I lived for some time) Christmas is actually called "ziemassvētki" - the literal translation of it being "winter celebration", so my atheist sibling always only calls it "Wintermas" x) But equally, doesn't get offended by the word Christmas.

Militant and extremist behaviour doesn't go just into religious land, some atheists dip into that area too. It's just so unnecessary. I usually just go with the vibe "Live and let live" ...unless it's something morally and outrageously wrong of course. :)

I'm an atheist. Since I think this forum may be majority American I think I should mention that I'm English and I suspect that being atheist in a majority non-religious country like the UK is probably a very different experience than being a atheist in the USA.

Why would anyone be offended by being wished happy christmas? Or happy any other holiday for that matter? Christmas has always been a secular holiday to me (I suppose this may be a difference between UK and USA), but I don't have any problem participating in celebrating other religious festivities such as Diwali.

You're right @NothingToSeeHere , I live in the UK too and generally anything religious is seen as out of the ordinary and people - especially in the south/London regions are more prone to get involved with things like Diwali and Ramadan as a sign of respect for their neighbour. Honestly - it's nice.

Being an atheist is normal here too, but perhaps in a more religious country like the US it would be seen as an insult and atheists have to argue/fight for their corner more..

@Monachopia one of my favourite things about growing up in Leicester (aside for the amazing curry) was Diwali. Floating candles on the river and eating lots of traditional hindu sweets was great fun even though I didn't really understand why we were doing it. It was pretty much my only exposure to a religious celebration as a child.

Ironically there are a few overly sensitive morons easilly offended by merry christmas.

Last edited:
I'm an athiest.
However I do see value in some religions - for some of the values they are trying to teach.
But who doesn't love a festival
Not that I need an excuse to drink and have fun, holidays just facilitate this.

I'm confused as to how one could be a mix of an Agnostic and Atheist.
I mean one says I don't believe this is real the other says This might be real.
Because Agnostic atheism just seems redundant to me.

Last edited:

Think of it as Schrodinger's Atheist, "There both is and isn't a God" (or similar deities)

I have been an atheist for the last 10 years. I started with Christopher Hitchens and got more mellow when I realized I wasn't a very good debater. I try to focus more on researching and debunking pseudoscience, especially with what is trending on social media.

It's a spectrum, based lack of evidence. You cannot prove without a doubt, the existence of God, therefore the best way to describe theism or atheism, is the degree of confidence you have about whether or not God exists. Read what Richard Dawkins has to say about the subject. It is intellectually dishonest to completely dismiss the idea of God, but I think most people who consider themselves atheists really mean they have a very high confidence in their belief that there isn't a God.

Most people who believe in God have 100% confidence that there is a God.
Most people who are agnostic waver in the 30-70% range
Most people who are atheists are 80-95% confident that there isn't a God.

What gives meaning to your life? What does your morality revolve around?

For me life is special, even if we aren't anything different in terms of DNA and perhaps thinking. It's a rare thing, I think alien life is this rare because it's not as easy to have the same conditions to fulfil the RNA cell production and sustain it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

My morality is pretty simple and common, stuff like stealing, lying, killing, raping, even manipulation are generally seen as bad, unless theyre needed for survival, extreme cases [except rape, I can't see that as a good thing no matter the circumstance, even when animals do it for species propagation, but I suppose that's how it's supposed to be and is socially accepted in some cases by animals]. Nowadays manipulation is very widespread, and is probably the way things have always been and will be but knowing how not to fall to it is important, so I guess to some extent it's not as negative. Many jobs require people do that. So far thats how the world works because people want things and everything is owned by man, even nature now.

I appreciate people, their kindness, the amazing help animals are able to offer us [just earlier finished watching Togo, in a ruthless binge of dog movies, it's an amazing film about a sled dog, seems to me like the best movie ever, incredible], the variety and wonderful chemicals we can use as meds and plant and natural matter we have, and technology that helps us create and evolve the things we have into new and improved things and learn. I appreciate the data we are made available so we can live more productively and healthily. I think that when we realize we're alone and that this is the only life we have, we understand unity and support, and that causing damage can be very deep and permanent, and we don't want to play with someone's only existence.

Morality is very deep and meaningful to us atheists, I'm convinced.

Keep in mind the Religious forum side doesn't allow claiming that some belief is more logical/more righteous/better than other ones be described or mentioned. Keep it neutral and non-debate.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom