• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

ADHD and ASD, Yay?

dave868

Hi everybody. I'm Dave, and this is my first post here. About a year ago I was diagnosed with ADHD. Very recently I found out about Aspergers, and after a week or two of crisis over my diagnosis (and after meeting a group of people with severe ADHD like mine) I've realized that I have both ADHD and (very likely, still undiagnosed at the moment) Aspergers.

Which you could imagine (or maybe you don't have to imagine), has made for a different kind of life.

So now, I"m just hanging out, learning all I can, before I go for a diagnosis and therapy (I think).

So, hi.

Hi everybody. I'm Dave, and this is my first post here. About a year ago I was diagnosed with ADHD. Very recently I found out about Aspergers, and after a week or two of crisis over my diagnosis (and after meeting a group of people with severe ADHD like mine) I've realized that I have both ADHD and (very likely, still undiagnosed at the moment) Aspergers.

Which you could imagine (or maybe you don't have to imagine), has made for a different kind of life.

So now, I"m just hanging out, learning all I can, before I go for a diagnosis and therapy (I think).

So, hi.

Hi Dave, I'm also ADHD and Aspergers/HFA. I also have OCD. The combinations make it a little harder. I've also found that Ritilan can adversely effect my Aspergers, too, so it's a fine line to find the right amount of medication. On the other hand, I've relied on Ritilan to help me concentrate and read, so it's been helpful, but over the years, I'm on a very low dose... What helps is having a psychiatrist who listens to you, and for you to decide what's working or not. I'm only on 0.5 Ritalin (the lowest dose) and will only take it when I need to read, research or socialize (b/c that's where I get my most benefit). I chose Ritalin b/c I can skip doses...the others are time-released, and you can't skip. I skip, BTW, b/c of the adverse effects on my Aspergers...but it took me years to find the right combo that works best for me, but luckily I have a psychiatrist who prefers less medication than more, so it hasn't been an issue in convincing him...he's more than happy to have me take less and only "as needed." The main thing for you is to trust your doctors, but also to test different meds and dosages to find the right combo that works best for your Aspergers. The main thing I learned is that my Aspergers/HFA was the biggest issue for me, so the ADHD takes a back seat...hope that makes sense...-JD

Hello, Dave!

I hope that joining the forum will help you on your journey towards a greater understanding of yourself. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom