• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A Tin of Treasures

Rodafina

Hopefully Human
Staff member
V.I.P Member
Do you have a tin of treasures? Or perhaps an old box? Do you have a place where you keep treasured mementos from your journey through life?

I do.

1670079764572.jpeg

1670079800058.jpeg

1670079821848.jpeg

1670079844281.jpeg

I wonder what is in yours?

I used to have something similar when I was young, all that sort of stuff disappeared when I went bush.

It's not a tin or a box, but to a degree it does a similar thing, which is...

kNDGehh.jpg

I never buy keychain stuff randomly... only during special occasions (though a couple were just given to me). Each came from somewhere specific for some specific reason.

And honestly I try not to think about it too much. Most of it just gets me depressed if I ponder it for more than 5 seconds. Particularly that yellow thing.

The big problem with the concept overall though is that it is very unstable, every bit smacking into every other bit all the time... if you look close you can see that many rings actually dont have anything attached to them, this is because those broke, and whatever was attached to them fell off. I dont know just how many were lost over the years. Well more than are actually on there now. Usually, I dont keep too many (that are actually intact) on there at once, so when there's enough, more dont get added even when at some event or whatever.

Also, only the car keys on the end actually have a use. The other keys dont do anything at all.

I have a chest in my living room containing every birthday card, Christmas card, postcard, valentine, and letter that I’ve received in my entire lifetime.

I live in my personal museum where I am surrounded with items I have gathered along the path of life.

I will need to pull it out. A cardboard box filled with memoribilia. It should have things like an inflatable Stegasaur that I mounted on my canoe when paddling the Green River, various maps and notes.

I do have my cabinet of curiosities, trilobites, zuni fetishes, porcupine quillwork, Native Americans pottery and baskets. Will post later (Going to see Mozart's Magic Flute.

Do you have a tin of treasures? Or perhaps an old box? Do you have a place where you keep treasured mementos from your journey through life?

I do.

View attachment 90346

View attachment 90347

View attachment 90348

View attachment 90349

Did you see Matrix Reloaded in a movie theatre in Poland? That's a long trip to watch a movie. :)

I had a treasure door, I affixed all mementoes on a door. It was completely covered, the layer of paper and stuff was 2 inches thick. But I burned it all because of a personal thing that happened.

Maybe I'll stage a photo with so many eclectic documents all on the same surface. Stuff that many people can appreciate...from a 60s Disneyland "E" ticket and a South Viet Nam tourist booklet to maybe a Kennedy bumper sticker.

I don't have anything like that at all (I'm a little too unattached and cold sometimes), but I admire these collections!

These are great! I love this kind of stuff. Mine has pictures from childhood; things from family and friends; and mementos from clients I've known as a disability caseworker/staff. Postcards, Christmas cards, and that kind of thing.

Used to have a ticket for Mr. Show live, too, back in 2001.

I´m still sad that I trashed some keepsakes in the past. I don´t really have keepsakes (anymore). but I doubt that ever had many of them. because for a keepsake, you need something "special" which happened in the past : D

and I usually delete everything from old contacts, because it would only make me sad otherwise and would make it harder for me to forget this person, especially when the contact was not good (in the end).

I have a lot of little "stashes" like that.

There's my danger-box. That's the old steamer trunk loaded with pretty much everything. It usually has in there: an old glass coal-oil lamp,
-an Agfa folding camera with leather bellows,
-pictures taken with this camera, still rolled up & really needing to be developed,
-two pairs of riding-breeches (with zippered pockets, which horses think are great fun to try to unzip when I'm not looking)
-a 1930s half-lined overcoat,
-a 1940s camel's-hair greatcoat,
-a 1940s black wool overcoat, goes down past the knees,
-a very heavy tweed jacket, three-button type, houndstooth Harris tweed,
-two very old but workable shotguns, disassembled (one from the 1880s, one from the 1900s)
-a single-shot boxlock pistol from the 1840s or so
-shaving soap,
-usually the lantern from an old-fashioned bicycle (now still on the bicycle),
-a wind-up alarm clock,
-a tobacco pipe from the 1940s,
-one from the 2020s,
-a worn-out pair of ankle boots,
-Audel's Mathematics,
-The Complete Home Handyman,
-Reveries of Vermont (privately published poems from 1929)
-a Catholic bible,
-a blue glass candy-dish shaped like a steam battleship, with REMEMBER THE MAINE molded into it,
-a very plain glass inkwell with a pewter lid,
-a straw boater hat.

I seem to have started off and lived my way backwards through the lives of some dead Edwardians, or am collecting props for a remake of Brideshead Revisited, but no this was all just junk that I've picked up along the way & every bit of that has some kind of a ridiculous story attached to it.

Last edited:
I have quite a few of these boxes, as i love boxes and collecting. One is an old wooden one that i found in my grandparents property a while back. It was filled wiht a few old est german coins(and still is) and it currently holds part of my coin collection. I have a heart shaped fabric one, filled with stuff i collected as a child,like a green rubber ant. Another one i really love is a round porcelain one currently unfilled, but the box itself was a
IMG_20221203_201517.jpg
treasures . My mom found it for a free on the side of the road and its golden and black wiht birds and flowers,in kind of an asian style.
These are the ones that are most like a treasures chest.

Wow. Everyone’s treasures on here are so fascinating.

So many stories among us, and so many interesting things and experiences and ideas we have collected along the way! I have burned or lost things too, even tossed them into a lake to forget forever. So even the missing treasures are noticed here.

It’s wonderful to see and hear from others about this. I have been curious and intrigued all day, which is my favorite state of being.

I do.

View attachment 90346

View attachment 90347

View attachment 90348

View attachment 90349

I think the Tin itself is an amazing treasure . I remember Rusted Root ! That band is great I wonder if they are still around, well seeing that ticket will just “ Send Me On My Way” to research it

Last edited:
I have a chest in my living room containing every birthday card, Christmas card, postcard, valentine, and letter that I’ve received in my entire lifetime.
Thats cool , I always wanted to do that but I end up saving cards all over the place and then can’t remember where I put them

Last edited:
I've always had one since my mid 20s. Sometimes new ones develop, and old ones lose meaning. I'm turning my T-shirt collection into digital photos to stop storing the unwearable oldies. Lately, I've been making a list of memory highlights, adding on per day, and it makes a happy reading now.

New Threads

Top Bottom