• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A happy, outgoing, yet awkward hello!

krisi

Hello! Nice to meet you all.

You can call me Krisi, I'm 22, and a university student in the US. If you look on my profile, it says that my AS status says "unsure"--that's because my physician mentioned a possible diagnosis of AS, and referred me to a psychiatric center. I never actually followed through on that, for many reasons--you'll probably learn as you get to know me. There's a lot more than AS that has gone on in my life that makes it difficult for me to accept psychological help and/or tease out what symptoms are really ASD symptoms and what may have been environmental.

Ironically, I'm majoring in Speech-Language Pathology in school--and many speech-language pathologists work with people on the autism spectrum. After the suggestion of AS as a possible diagnosis, I started to understand why I had improved so much since college. What my studies have done for me is teach me the unwritten rules of communication that I kept on missing (and still miss, quite often), and made me aware of what's causing my conversational breakdown. My studies also gave me a vocabulary to describe what I'm doing in a way that may be more coherent to others.

What it hasn't done is helped with my emotional dysregulation (although it DID give me those words to describe what's going on, that's a HUGE part of my problem; I feel things and have no way to express what's going on in my head and causing the behaviors that many see as "strange" or "odd"). I'm working on this, and will probably post on it at some point.

My current interests/obsessions:
Cancelled TV series--especially Firefly, but also Pushing Daisies, Dollhouse.
Language--particularly phonetics, but other aspects as well.
Child development--especially language acquisition, but other skills as well.
Neurology--mostly as it relates to language, but I'm branching out.

Sorry if those seemed repetitive, all of them are very interrelated. I tend to do language samples on the characters from each of the television series as well--I LOVE a show that's well written :)

I don't like the word "can't". I try not to let myself get into a pattern of thinking that I can't do something because someone else says I can't, or that it is suggested that someone like me may not be able to. For example, I'm terribly clumsy, but I took dance lessons for an entire year last year, and would have continued this year if my schedule had allowed it. I was the worst in my class, and had to practice TONS to get anything right, but I did it, and ended up with an A in the class (thankfully, we were graded on progress from where we were at the beginning of the semester to where we were at the end). I try to maintain that I am capable of doing anything an NT can do, I might just have to approach it differently.

Um...I guess that's pretty long. I should stop there. Nice to meet you all! I'm happy I found this forum!

WAIT... D;... pushing daisies was cancelled :(? I was planning on downloading dollhouse 'cause seriously, like every edition of H+(transhumanism magazine) talks about it :(.
That sucks D:.
Meh :/.
I'm slowly(very slowly) learning bits about neurology because I *was* buying to Scientific American MIND but Borders has closed down and that's the only store I know which imports magazines from the US. I'm only interested in the brain though. I've some saved hubpages on neurology so I think I might read them later on in the month or something :p.
I was reading an article about how morals are embedded genetically sort of, like language. IDK if you're interested in it because it doesn't talk all the much about language, but I don't mind scanning it(I recently had to move all my magazines to the loft though, so I only have a few not there and it might be hard to find the correct issue it was in if it's not in the 15 or so in my room).
But yeah, sorry for sort of like ranting ^_^.
'Welcome ^_^.
EMZ=]

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! :) I look forward to many wonderful discussions here :)

EMZ: Yes, sadly, Pushing Daisies was cancelled. The good news is that the three unaired episodes are on the Season 2 DVD set. Other good news: Dollhouse rocks, even though it also only has two seasons. I think you'll enjoy it, especially if you enjoy neurology (although much of what they say about the brain in dollhouse is incorrect). I would definitely love to read your article--I like reading anything I can get my hands on!

Mike: I agree entirely :)

Welcome to Aspergic.com

aspforumsig50.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom