• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

400 bad request error message

Mia

V.I.P Member
Lately I've been experiencing a:

"400 Bad Request"
No required SSL certificate was sent nginx

When I'm here at Aspie Central for the last few evenings I've encountered this error message and am unable to navigate the site. Have to leave and can't post or sign out. If I refresh my browser and return the problem is fixed, for awhile. Then it returns.

Last edited:

"400 Bad Request"

When I'm here at Aspie Central for the last few evenings I've encountered this error message and am unable to navigate the site. Have to leave and can't post or sign out. If I refresh my browser and return the problem is fixed, for awhile. Then it returns.

ttps://www.robertkehoe.com/2016/07/nginx-proxy-pass-resolving-no-required-ssl-certificate-was-sent/
maybe your modem is starting to fail? Mia

Don't think so Mael, the error message only happens on this site. No where else.
My modem is relatively new, as in three to five years old or so.

Last edited:
Don't think so Mael, the error message only happens on this site. No where else.
I have had two modems go down and mostly only had error messages and jam-ups here...I think the other sites have servors that aid you on memory and stuff maybe?

Anyways what you do is check your modem to see if its speed is dropping off, what happens is the modems transformers or something start overheating and when they get too hot they start making the chips drop in random errors that make allot of line connection loss errors, that leads to things slowing down as connection reboots happen over and over...hence the little circle processing arrow going to much top left on your screen I think?

It drove me nuts because I though it was a video spam hack jamming my memory...but I think it was just power surges maybe damaged my modems?

Good luck Mia :fourleaf:

I experience a different problem with the site - sometimes when I start posting a reply to a thread and press the shift key in order to capitalize my first word, it just takes me back to the previous page. I have to find the desired forum entry again and start over. It happens at seemingly random times, often 2 to 3 times in a row, and I have no idea why. Has this happened to anyone else? Very irritating.

"400 Bad Request"

Try;
Using different browsers
Clear Cache and cookies
Using a different ISP (i.e use your phone to supply your pc internet connection from your phone ISP)
Maybe try a system restore

Mia, what browser were you using?

In any event, it looks like Hopeless_Aspie_Guy was onto the right solution. I don't see anyone on the server side willing to alter any of their syntax just to accommodate a single client (Mia), so clearing your browser cache and purging all cookie data may be the simplest solution, assuming it works. See below:

"Today I'll write about something I experienced personally, on my websites. Some visitors reported that they were getting a "400 Bad Request" Nginx error randomly when visiting pages. And when they start getting that error, they can't access the site anymore: it'll output the same error no matter the page, until you "clear your cache and cookies".

The error is easily understandable and is likely to be caused by... too much cookie data.
Every time a visitor loads *any* page/content/file of your website, it sends the cookie data to the server.
Cookie data is sent under the form of 1 header line starting with "Cookie: ".

Basically, Nginx by default is configured to accept header lines of a maximum size of 4 kilobytes.
When a line in the headers exceeds 4 kilobytes, Nginx returns the '400 Bad Request' error.
Cookie data sometimes gets big, so it causes the error. It particularly happens on forums like vBulletin, Invision and others.

So why does it happen only for some web browsers (Firefox, Chrome...) and not others? Because those browsers do not limit the amount of data a cookie may store. Or maybe they do, but the limit is higher than the default 4k of Nginx. Other browsers limit the amount of cookie data so they do not have the issue."

Dealing with Nginx 400 Bad Request HTTP errors | Clement Nedelcu's Development Journal

Last edited:
I experience a different problem with the site - sometimes when I start posting a reply to a thread and press the shift key in order to capitalize my first word, it just takes me back to the previous page. I have to find the desired forum entry again and start over. It happens at seemingly random times, often 2 to 3 times in a row, and I have no idea why. Has this happened to anyone else? Very irritating.
Yes I think it actually is shift key with one of the keys just below bumped but I m not sure which one it is...very annoying...whole post gets eaten.:confused:

Mia, what browser were you using?

Mozilla firefox, and on occasion Opera. My browser cache is small, and it's cleared at shut-down each day. I keep no browser history or anything of the sort, so that why it's strange. It only happens here and relatively recently. It may be a difficulty with Firefox,
which is configured to 21K of stored data. But it shouldn't be an issue, as it's cleared each day. And it may simply be a faulty/buggy script somewhere. The issue hasn't reoccurred since thursday evening.

Thanks Maelstrom and Hopeless Aspie for your take on this, and of course you too Judge.
ಠ_ಠ

Mozilla firefox, and on occasion Opera. My browser cache is small, and it's cleared at shut-down each day. I keep no browser history or anything of the sort, so that why it's strange. It only happens here and relatively recently. It may be a difficulty with Firefox,
which is configured to 21K of stored data. But it shouldn't be an issue, as it's cleared each day. And it may simply be a faulty/buggy script somewhere. The issue hasn't reoccurred since thursday evening.

Thanks Maelstrom and Hopeless Aspie for your take on this, and of course you too Judge.
ಠ_ಠ
You are welcome...Mia...Oh! I don't know why but going to a major news site first seemed to stop it some...maybe their servor helped the upload on start up some?....anyways it seemed to be a modem memory failure of some kind for me?
My 3rd modem may be going down load times are getting bad again for me too!
I think my power in my area is unstable and damages my modems....thunderstorms?

ಠ_ಠ

With Firefox, you might reevaluate this issue after the next update. Just to rule out any possibility of malfunctions within your browser as a result of a bad download.

I also use Firefox as my default browser, updated to version 54.0.1 without incident when it comes to such an error. Though like yourself, I also routinely clear my cache after every session. I've never had or even seen such an error before. Good to learn about it though for future reference.

Otherwise technically such a problem is closer linked to certification issues of a Reverse Proxy server. Though I doubt the host has changed any such parameters of their server software, otherwise many more members would more likely be encountering such a problem. That's where Brent comes in...who may well be able to shed much more light on such a problem. The only other thing I can think of is to ponder server-side issues pertaining to your Internet provider or backbone concerns. Which frankly doesn't make much sense either if the issue is exclusively confined to accessing only this one domain.

The most I've ever done is to set up Apache server software a few times for my own personal server for offline use to run PHP and ASP. But I never had to tweak it per se. Just ran it in a default configuration. So it all remains baffling to me too.

Last edited:
With Firefox, you might reevaluate this issue after the next update. Just to rule out any possibility of malfunctions within your browser as a result of a bad download.

I also use Firefox as my default browser, updated to version 54.0.1 without incident when it comes to such an error. Though like yourself, I also routinely clear my cache after every session. I've never had or even seen such an error before. Good to learn about it though for future reference.

Otherwise technically such a problem is closer linked to certification issues of a Reverse Proxy server. Though I doubt the host has changed any such parameters of their server software, otherwise many more members would more likely be encountering such a problem. That's where Brent comes in...who may well be able to shed much more light on such a problem.

The only other thing I can think of is to ponder server-side issues pertaining to your Internet provider or backbone concerns. Which frankly doesn't make much sense either if the issue is exclusively confined to accessing only this one domain. o_O
A old marginally functioning computer might do okay in a site with helpful cloud memory supporting applications but AC clearly does not have that and is marginal its self so yes you could do weel a NBC news with cloud memory helping and crash and burn here...a bad modem makes it even worse...poor reboot connection times!:confused:
Or whatever?... I am no expert...just guessing!

A old marginally functioning computer might do okay in a site with helpful cloud memory supporting applications but AC clearly does not have that and is marginal its self so yes you could do weel a NBC news with cloud memory helping and crash and burn here...a bad modem makes it even worse...poor reboot connection times!:confused:
Or whatever?... I am no expert...just guessing!

I can only say that the specific error message she gets is relative to settings pertinent to a Reverse Proxy Server. I'd think anything hardware-related would occur far more frequently, and not relative to any specific domain.

The only other thing I can ponder is that the error message itself may also be some kind of error. Which would mean the source of the problem could be found elsewhere. Even then though, I suspect this is still a client-side issue, or more users would be dealing with the same problem. Beats me. LOL...I'm no expert either. Not even a gifted amateur when it comes to his level of server concerns. :confused:

Here's Firefox's uptake on such issues, although I'm not sure in this instance it will be of much help:

Websites don't load - troubleshoot and fix error messages | Firefox Help

Last edited:

"400 Bad Request"

I just got this error myself! Just unloaded my cache and bookmarks...lets see if it comes back. I'm thinking it's Firefox related...after being online for a number of hours and accumulating many cookies.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom