• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

3D movies

I can't stand the 3D-viewing phenomenon. I have strabismus and I'm also nearsighted, so wearing those foolish glasses over my regular ones is crazy. I've only seen two films in 3D, and neither were positive experiences.

I never understood 3D. :)
I feel like it's just a way for movie makers to earn extra bucks. It adds nothing to the movie, in my opinion. :)

There is no point whats wrong with plain 2D?, I wear glasses and can't fit them over mine, also too many high speed special effects can make me feel a bit confused and overloaded, seeing them in 3D would only make it worse.

The very first 3D movie I ever saw was when I went on a school trip when I was in Year 2 or Year 3. The movie was called T.Rex: Back to the Cretaceous and was about a girl who travels back to various periods in time (it's not specified whether she actually travels or is just hallucinating), with her journey culminating in her meeting and briefly gaining the respect of a Mother T.Rex after she saves one of her eggs.
This was a new experience for me, and I was blown away by it. The film itself was decent but the 3D effects really made it look awesome. I was jumping around in my seat and screaming at times when stuff flew towards us, while the effects at the time were okay when I look back on it.

Since then, I think it really depends on the movie as to whether the movie will be good to watch in 3D. For example, when the Nostalgia Critic was listing his next top 11 Christmas Specials he mentioned The Polar Express but then stated "only watch it on IMAX and in 3D" as that made the movie a lot better.
An example of a movie I watched that unnecessarily got the 3D treatment was Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace. Aside from the Podrace and a few other scenes, it didn't need to be done in 3D.

I should get back at the 3d thing, as I said, over 2 years ago I'd avoid them like the plague.

I'm not avoiding them actively anymore, yet, I'm not really one to jump on the wagon and want to see every movie in all of it's 3d splendor. I think some movies are really fine as 3d flicks as the cinematography is just screaming for it.

Thus far I've seen 3 movies in 3d; Terminator: Genisys, The hunger games: Mockingjay part 2 and Star wars: The force awakens.

The hunger games, while I saw it in a smaller cinema with a screen which I found too small to enjoy 3d (I just felt I was sitting to close to the screen) felt a bit unneccesary for most part. It's a movie which can be fine as just 2d. Terminator was fine I suppose, though Star wars is one of those movies which really felt like it had a bit of a feel to it that it should have 3d. Immense star destroyers popping out of the screen, X-wings left and right in 3d, it felt a bit more immersive.

So as it is, I'm picky what I'll check out in 3d. And will prefer 2d most of the time unless it requires a bit of a "larger than life" kind of thing going I suppose.

What irks me a bit about 3d movies is that the glasses are a bit tinted and darker, making the movie less bright. Now since I have some light sensitivity issues (and wear shades during the day mostly) it's not really a problem I guess, but it just feels a bit odd, as it obscures movies a bit and takes away a bit of the crisp, bright details that are obviously more apparent when watching 2d.

I sat The Force Awakens in 3D as well. The glasses don't bother me if I wear my contacts but, I hadn't planned to see it that evening so had my glasses on and, that was annoying, not miserably uncomfortable but, the 3D glasses kept sliding down my nose.

They need to make wrap around style over glasses for people who wear glasses, even if there were a small rental fee or deposit for them, it would make 3D film better for people that wear glasses.

New Threads

Top Bottom