• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My Trip Report

Gerald Wilgus

V.I.P Member
So, 2,400 miles, 10 days, and I am back home. Driving included 574 miles of one of the twistiest roads in America.

Let's start out with the bad . . . Expressway driving. It is soul sucking out there, especially when I'm rarely 5 mph over the speed limit in a very small car and practically getting run over by huge-assed American SUVs and trucks.

While the Skyline drive speed limit is 35 mph and the Parkway is 45 mph, all curves are drivable at the speed limit for any car. I would encounter drivers of large cars riding their brakes at 20 mph, acting like they would fall off the edge of the earth. This taught me patience and I could pass when safe (and you would think that they would use one of the frequent viewpoints to pull over and let faster traffic through, but, nooooooooooo . . . )

Now, the good. That 22 year old car ran like a dream. Predictable responses and its great balance as a mid-engine car of 2,100 lbs made cornering a dream. I would get up early to have a couple hours without traffic and just get into the rhythm of road, relaxed, and enjoying such a well performing car. Unless overtaking I did not need to use my brakes. I could just let off on the throttle to adjust my speed for the conditions, using a neutral throttle through the turn.

Spending two days in Washington DC at the Smithsonian museums and Folklife Festival, was enlightening. Two museums stand out; the National Museum of the American Indian and the National Museum of African American History and Culture. In either, while there is a celebration of culture, one learns of how our government deliberately defrauded and abused native Americans, or the degenerate cruelty of the culture of slavery that made its way through Jim Crow to morph into the white nationalism of today. Disturbing.

The crafts everywhere, especially at two places along the Parkway where the Southern Highland Craft Guild has shops. I was so very tempted, especially seeing a glass jellyfish paper weight. I relented and bought my spouse a very nice pottery coffee mug. Then there was the Mountain Music Center which had great exhibits and in the breezeway a string band was playing Gospel and Carter family tunes. I picked up a CD of clawhammer banjo.

Waterfalls hikes, and a visit to Cades Cove. Cades Cove is special to me because it was a stop on the road trip with my future spouse. While we were enjoying being with each other for 3 previous days, the day in Cades Cove solidified my feelings for her and I was in love.

Confirming that I like myself. Solo travel is demanding at times and enjoying being able to; entertain myself, practice skills, make the most of being by myself, is a win.

Now for regrets. I was hoping to meet some people, have a nice conversation perhaps. No luck. People seemed to be self absorbed and closed. Even in tourist overrun Gatlinburg at a moonshine tasting I tried to engage with people on either side of me . . . blank stares (or it could have been the previous 6 shots of moonshine taking effect).

1689273692631_20230713_094409.jpg

It may be a twisty road, but I've known a few people who made that trip, and they say it is incredible.
I've always wanted to see the Washington museums.
And, yes, the car is beautiful!

Glad you got to have the experience, even if not everything went to plan.
I'm used to traveling solo as well, and it has both pros and cons. And yes, sometimes people are more unfriendly and standoffish to solo travelers than they would be to a couple or a family, unfortunately.

I'm glad you got to experience those cultural museums, especially considering the impact of those issues in modern society. Disturbing indeed.

Kind of funny that you mentioned the glass jellyfish because I have been trying to buy one of those myself lol, they are often expensive though.
Was it one of the ones that lights up?

Your car is amazing! My dream car is a small sports car like that, maybe some type of hatchback, in bright yellow or red. You have kept it in perfect condition, I can't believe it is 22 years old! :)

And I love your shirt! I had to mention that.

Thank you all for your responses.

@SusanLR , Yes, those museums and the mall in its entirety from the capitol to the Lincoln memorial is worth seeing. the Parkway was a worthwhile jaunt.

@Aspychata , @Luca , the car is a dream to drive, but with a mid-engine, a little noisy. The MR2 uses components from the Corolla so maintenance is inexpensive, and its light weight does not stress things out. Luca, I like that shirt and picked it up last year in Bangkok. in that picture I actually look nice, but then, I was enjoying my time.

You do have a air of this is a great day today! I like pictures like this, so on a down day, you can look back at this picture and smile.

You do have a air of this is a great day today! I like pictures like this, so on a down day, you can look back at this picture and smile.
Exactly!! When my mind wanders to my past difficulties I have reminders of how far I have come. Now, I am amazed that I had felt so very negative about myself. I now know it was biased thinking driven in part by being unable to process if anybody was interested in me for a relationship when that was a desire of mine.

It's amazing the mind funk we can waddle around in. We really are our worst enemy. If we can't believe in ourselves, how can we expect others to accept us. Yet insecurity of self is actually a common theme universally. So don't beat yourself up too much.

New Threads

Top Bottom