• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I really like having discussions here

kenaij

AQ score: 38, Aspie Score: asp 142/200 nt 58/200
Might be a strange title but just wanted to get it out there. I joined a couple of months back and it has really been a nice experience.
One of the things I really like about this place is the fact we can generally have respectful discussions with each other.
Sometimes people misunderstand others and might get a little defensive but when the point of the other is explained all seems to be forgiven and everyone seems to be able to get on with it.
I have had discussions with people here and even though we seemed to be at the complete opposite with our opinions I have learned from their opinions and they were respectful to mine.
A lot of other places, especially on the internet, are totally different. Especially how they are moderated where the moderators seem to delete posts they do not agree with, but leave the posts that are just as offensive but at their side of the opinions one could have.
So overall, thanks to all the members, and praise to the moderators for doing an actual good job.

Might be a strange title but just wanted to get it out there. I joined a couple of months back and it has really been a nice experience.
One of the things I really like about this place is the fact we can generally have respectful discussions with each other.
Sometimes people misunderstand others and might get a little defensive but when the point of the other is explained all seems to be forgiven and everyone seems to be able to get on with it.
I have had discussions with people here and even though we seemed to be at the complete opposite with our opinions I have learned from their opinions and they were respectful to mine.
A lot of other places, especially on the internet, are totally different. Especially how they are moderated where the moderators seem to delete posts they do not agree with, but leave the posts that are just as offensive but at their side of the opinions one could have.
So overall, thanks to all the members, and praise to the moderators for doing an actual good job.
I'm glad that you enjoy it here! I too have been here for...almost a year at this point! This is probably one of the best places on the Internet for autism-related discussions I've been. Way better than Twitter or Reddit.

Even discussions about other subjects seem to go very smoothly here. Even more controversial discussions like subjects related to LGBTQ+, race, politics, religion etc. Unlike what most information on the internet says, it is my experience that autistic people are very open to others opinions. And don`t see the need to be hateful towards them.

Agreed!

I'm not sure how much of this forum's respectful nature is due to us mostly being autistic and how much is simply because it's somewhat niche and obscure. With an extra 6 million subscribers, it might be a very different story.

For example, it's interesting that we have a tendency for binary thinking in varying degrees, but also the ability to disagree in a respectful way - although I'm not sure this always works out well. My autistic nephew has a habit of referring to someone in very derogatory ways once he's decided that person is a jerk. Or if someone says something obviously incorrect he flies at them and can be aggressive and insulting. Presumably that's a combination of autistic traits and bad attitude or immaturity - who knows what he'd be like if he wasn't autistic, he might just be a regular reddit/facebook user (haha).

Also, I feel like the average age on here is higher than places like reddit and facebook. I have no stats to back that up. Perhaps maturity plays a part.

But anyway, yeah the lack of personal insults on here is quite refreshing. Attack the idea not the person, and all that.

I agree with you, this is the best forum where I feel I can speak as myself and feel ok doing so. There are always disagreements, or sensitive areas (I know I get upset sometimes and nothing wrong was said). But this is the place I go for forums now :)

Yeah, I'll agree, it's why I've been here for so long. Best place on the Net.

And certainly better than alternatives. I used to be on a different autism-focused forum... which I shall not name, but I suspect that many of you know which one it is... and oh boy was it a different experience. Everyone there was so ANGRY all the time and the mods at that site seemed to, I dunno, drink a bottle of distilled crazy with their breakfast every day before logging in. Whole place did the direct opposite of what it was supposedly designed to do.

I found this place after someone on that site tried to weaponize a mod at me (yes, it was as stupid as it sounds) and someone else who was leaving that site mentioned they were moving to this one and said I should join too, and so that's how I got here. This whole place is a bloody paradise compared to that other site. Everyone here is so nice...

it is my experience that autistic people are very open to others opinions

On the note of this, something I've noticed is that for some, this aspect can be different depending on what state they are in.

I know that's sorta how it works for me. Usually I try to be as amicable and such as possible. But the more agitated I am... either from sensory issues or anxiety, as those are what does it... the more randomly defensive and spiky I'm going to get. Even when dealing with subjects that dont even make sense.

I dunno, that just came to mind when reading that.

Yeah, I'll agree, it's why I've been here for so long. Best place on the Net.

And certainly better than alternatives. I used to be on a different autism-focused forum... which I shall not name, but I suspect that many of you know which one it is... and oh boy was it a different experience. Everyone there was so ANGRY all the time and the mods at that site seemed to, I dunno, drink a bottle of distilled crazy with their breakfast every day before logging in. Whole place did the direct opposite of what it was supposedly designed to do.

I found this place after someone on that site tried to weaponize a mod at me (yes, it was as stupid as it sounds) and someone else who was leaving that site mentioned they were moving to this one and said I should join too, and so that's how I got here. This whole place is a bloody paradise compared to that other site. Everyone here is so nice...

On the note of this, something I've noticed is that for some, this aspect can be different depending on what state they are in.

I know that's sorta how it works for me. Usually I try to be as amicable and such as possible. But the more agitated I am... either from sensory issues or anxiety, as those are what does it... the more randomly defensive and spiky I'm going to get. Even when dealing with subjects that dont even make sense.

I dunno, that just came to mind when reading that.
Honestly those with autism have a condition, it's not a personality type. Much akin to someone say... having a condition that makes them sore all the time. They are all different people, and should be treated as such. Some people will be hostile towards different opinions, whether they have Autism or not. and some people are just jerks. Then there are those like @AdamG who are very welcoming.
Honestly wish the world was full of people like that, willing to discuss in a friendly manner.

I agree. But to me autistic people tend to be more open towards someone else's opinion. Or atleast try to understand where they are coming from. This might be totally false, but that is how it appears to me. I feel this might come from the fact that with a great number of things we have a different opinion than the norm. And a different proces. For a lot of people this might create a situation where you are already trying to understand the world and reasoning around you. Because a lot of things seem so out of place. When trying to make sense of it you think about why other people came up with the idea. "why do they do it this way, when I feel it is so counter productive." for example.

Then there are those like @AdamG who are very welcoming.
Very nice of you to say, thank you.

I agree. But to me autistic people tend to be more open towards someone else's opinion. Or atleast try to understand where they are coming from. This might be totally false, but that is how it appears to me. I feel this might come from the fact that with a great number of things we have a different opinion than the norm. And a different proces. For a lot of people this might create a situation where you are already trying to understand the world and reasoning around you. Because a lot of things seem so out of place. When trying to make sense of it you think about why other people came up with the idea. "why do they do it this way, when I feel it is so counter productive." for example.
I agree with this. For myself, I find that I am misunderstood, or just not understood, so often. Or dismissed for my views, or thinking style. So I tend to have more patience than many, when I see someone being open and honest. It makes me want to give them the respect I wish I've had, and give time to explain. Even if common ground is not met for some issues, at least there was fairness and usually mutual respect.

The only other forums I have followed that are as respectful as this is some science forum's where scientist's and mathematician's get into debates, but then many of them are probably also on the spectrum.

New Threads

Top Bottom